November 20, 2018, 08:43:06 PM

Author Topic: The post draft mock  (Read 1530 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
The post draft mock
« on: May 01, 2018, 05:43:25 AM »
The post-draft mock. You didn't like some of the Packers picks. Think you can do better ? Give this a try.
I posted this elsewhere and no-one was interested in it. Perhaps someone is here.

Now for the rules.

RULE 1) You can refuse a trade that the Packers made, but you cannot make one up that they never made.
RULE 2) You can only pick a player who is still on the board when you make the pick.

The Packers made three trades:
Trade 1.....(with the Saints) gave up  #14                              for #27, #147, next years 1st.
Trade 2.....(with the Seahwks) gave up #27, #76, #186      for #18, #248
Trade 3.....(with the Panthers) gave up #101, #147             for #88     (you must have accepted trade 1 to do trade 3 because trade 3 involves #147, gained in trade 1)

This gives you a choice of five scenarios to choose from. I have listed the picks you get from each choice, below.

Choice 1 - no deals. You have picks                               14, 45, 76, 101, 133, 138, 172, 174, 186, 207, 232, 239.
Choice 2 - You only do trade 1. You have picks            27, 45, 76, 101, 133, 138, 147, 172, 174, 186, 207, 232, 239. + NO's 1st pick in 2019
Choice 3 - You do trades 1 & 2. You have picks           18, 45, 101, 133, 138, 172, 174, 207, 232, 239, 248.   +  NO's 1st pick in 2019
Choice 4 - You do trades 1, 2 and 3. You have picks   18, 45, 88, 133, 172, 174, 207, 232, 239, 248   +  NO's 1st pick in 2019
Choice 5 - You do trades 1 & 3. You have picks            27, 45, 76, 88, 133, 173, 174, 207, 232, 239, 248.   +  NO's 1st pick in 2019
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The post draft mock
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:45:40 AM »
Here is an example of an alternative post-draft draft. I chose 'Choice 1' (no trades)

1/14 LB Tremaine Edmunds     A gamble on greatness (easier if you ar not the GM)
2/45 CB Josh Jackson      (Hard to improve on this pick)
3/76 WR Michael Gallup     (Has a legitimate chance to be a no.2 complement to Adams. Solid build, Not a burner but has a burst)
4/101 TE Ian Thomas     (Banged up last year but has decent speed and is a willing blocker. Has upside)
4/133 CB D.J.Reed     (In my scenario we don't get slot corner Alexander. This is my alternative)
5/138 G/T Cole Madison     (sometimes it's hard to better the Packers pick)
5/172 DE/OLB Duke Ejiofor     (A power type rusher who might back up Perry)
5/174 WR WR Marquez Valdez-Scantling       (there were a couple of size/speed guys I like later on, he is one of them)
6/186 QB Luke Falk      (I preferred QB White but the Cowboys took him just before a Packer's pick. Luke has an average arm, but can read the field)
6/207 TE Jordan Thomas      (A blocking TE who can catch some balls)
7/232 OLB Kendall Donnerson      (This was my other size/speed later-round flier)
7/239 LS Tanner Carew      (I'll go with the Senior Bowl long snapper over the E/W Shrine guy........just because HE has solid knees)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:48:54 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
Lol, 1265 I think you are suffering from post-draft withdrawal syndrome. :D

Not doing the whole re-draft thing, but I did playout in my mind the 'what if' they had stayed at 27 and taken Hughes. That way they still had their 3rd, for say TE Mark Andrews. What needs to be realized in this exercise is the domino effect of changing just one pick at any point by any team in any round.

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
I'll bite - love mocks and I usually do something similar to this anyway.  I will say that I'm happy with the Packers draft overall, and love the idea of getting premium athletes at multiple positions. 

That said, I'm going to do both choice 1 (no trades) and choice 2 (trade 1/Saints only).

Choice 1 (no trades):
#14: Tremaine Edmunds LB/VA Tech - great size / movement athlete that could play edge or ILB
#45:Josh Jackson CB/Iowa - the tall outside corner we need, love the fit and value here
#76: Michael Gallup WR/Colorado St - he and Anthony Miller were the 2 WR's that I really loved in this draft.  Think he'd be a major playmaker in GB
#101: Josh Sweat Edge/FSU - rare athletic talent on the edge here. Injury concerns but worth rolling the dice here IMO
#133: Dalton Schultz TE/Stanford - smart player from a good TE-producing school, can catch/run/block and I think he's immediately the #2 TE in GB behind Graham
#138: DJ Reed CB/KS St - this was probably my biggest draft crush, love him as the nickel corner here. Just competes hard as h*ll every snap
#172: Foley Fatukasi DT/UConn - can play 3-4 end or inside, with a bit of pass rush as well, good player here
#174: Deon Cain WR/Clemson - this is the deep threat/9 route/"take the top off" guy
#186: Jemil Demby OL/Maine - long-term potential at either OT or OG, probably better at G
#207: Greg Senat OT/Wagner - raw athlete with a basketball background
#232: Kendall Donnerson LB/SE MO St - love the potential and athletic skills
#239: Tanner Carew LS/Oregon - don't hate the pick of the LS, but this was the guy I was expecting

Choice 2 (only trade 1/Saints):
#27: Austin Corbett OL/Nevada - plug-in starter at RG, potential to fill at RT if needed for Bulaga, loved everything I read about him
#45: Josh Jackson CB/Iowa - the tall outside corner we need, love the fit and value here
#76: Michael Gallup WR/Colorado St - he and Anthony Miller were the 2 WR's that I really loved in this draft.  Think he'd be a major playmaker in GB
#101: Josh Sweat Edge/FSU - rare athletic talent on the edge here. Injury concerns but worth rolling the dice here IMO
#133: Dalton Schultz TE/Stanford - smart player from a good TE-producing school, can catch/run/block and I think he's immediately the #2 TE in GB behind Graham
#138: DJ Reed CB/KS St - this was probably my biggest draft crush, love him as the nickel corner here. Just competes hard as h*ll every snap
#147: Genard Avery LB/Memphis - athletic option at ILB, but will also be able to blitz and rush the passer
#172: Foley Fatukasi DT/UConn - can play 3-4 end or inside, with a bit of pass rush as well, good player here
#174: Deon Cain WR/Clemson - this is the deep threat/9 route/"take the top off" guy
#186: DeShon Elliott S/Texas - another option in the box, can add value on special teams
#207: Greg Senat OT/Wagner - raw athlete with a basketball background
#232: Kendall Donnerson LB/SE MO St - love the potential and athletic skills
#239: Tanner Carew LS/Oregon - don't hate the pick of the LS, but this was the guy I was expecting

We can bring in a UDFA punter if we want competition, or just roll with what we've got.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
A lot of similarities to my draft. If you had switched Anthony Miller in for Gallup, I would have liked it just as much. You went for the same nickel CB (Reed) I did in the mid draft. You went Shultz at TE, I went Thomas. WR Cain was a bit of a steal where you got him - he must have had some issues, but I don't know what, I expected him gone in round 2. Hard not to like what you did in either draft scenario.

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as I filled mine out - lots of the same players.  Either that means we're both right or both wrong - haha!

This was a fun idea - looking forward to coming back and revisiting after the season and seeing how the Packers picks and our guys did!

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:22 AM »
As I watched the draft, I jotted down who I would have taken at the time. Since my draft included three guys who went undrafted, it's obvious that I would not be in that position for very long!
Draft - as it was:
1/18 -  Leighton Vander Esch - LB Boise State
2/45 -  Josh Jackson - CB Iowa
3/88 -  Ian Thomas - TE Indiana
4/133 -Tyrell Crosby - OL - Oregon
5/138 - Quenton Meeks - CB Stanford (UDFA - Jacksonville)
5/172 - Deon Cain - WR Clemson
5/174 - Equanamious St Brown - WR Notre Dame
6/207 - Quin Blanding - S Virginia (UDFA Washington)
7/232 - Zach Crabtree - OL Oklahoma State (UDFA Chargers)
7/239 - Justin Lawler - DE/LB SMU
7/248 - Jeff Holland - LB Auburn

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Liked the Thomas and Crosby picks Footballdad. Drafting Thomas does mean no Oren Burks (a coverage type ILB), but you don't need that when you have Vander Esch.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:50:39 AM by OneTwoSixFive »