July 19, 2018, 10:19:08 AM

Author Topic: Packers increasing focus on athletes  (Read 412 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Packers increasing focus on athletes
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:37:38 AM »
Listed below are the RAS (relative athletic score) of the Packers draftees this year. The maximum score is 10. All the individual details (and team comparisons) are not on the site yet, but you can scroll down the players with scores to find who the Packers picked     https://relativeathleticscores.com/

Kendall Donnerson                  9.98
Equanimeous St.Brown            9.84
Joe Looney                             9.74
Oren Burks                             9.72
Jaire Alexander                       9.54
Josh Jackson                           9.27
Marquez Valdez-Scantling         9.25
J'Mon Moore                            8.43
Cole Madison                           4.59

I didn't look for the scores of LS Hunter Bradley or P J.K.Scott. The priority placed on athleticism (by the Packers) seems higher than ever - even moreso than last year, when the prospects they took rated as the third most athletic of all the teams, only below the Ravens and Bengals. Their picks, in the order they were drafted scored: King  9.93, J.Jones 9.07, M.Adams 7.25, Biegel 8.03, J.Williams 3.11, Yancey 8.42, A.Jones 9.04, Amichia 9.71, Mays 7.09, Dupre 6.04. Although this years comparisons are not up yet, I'm guessing the Packers are no.1 in the league, in highest athletic scores.

Just like last year they took one guy who was a low scorer. Then it was Jamaal Williams, this year it is Cole Madison
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:39:06 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers increasing focus on athletes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »
This is not some new phenomenon with the Packers. Almost every year they have one of the highest collective scores on the RAS scale. What is interesting is that each year it is the same handful of teams that lead this list. Ozzie Newsome has drafted the top class several times in his time in Baltimore, but also interestingly enough ismost of the others have ties to Ron Wolf/ Ted Thompson. This is not something new.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Packers increasing focus on athletes
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »
I had been keeping track of the RAS scores for a month or two leading up to the draft. It's an interesting metric. Every team is looking for premiere athletes, but I think you're right, the last couple of drafts have seen a noticeable emphasis for the Packers.

I guess in the case of Jamaal Williams or Cole Madison, the tape trumped the measurable athleticism.