May 22, 2018, 10:48:16 AM

Author Topic: Rodgers Contract Negotiation  (Read 428 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Rodgers Contract Negotiation
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »
Matt Ryan just got a 5 yr/$150 mil contract with $100 mill guaranteed.  Looks like Rodgers is up next.  He deserves to be paid, but is there a point you say we cant put anything around him? Im sure Rodgers understands at a certain point he's hurting himself.  Sounds like they have some of the framework done already.  So what's a good number you expect to see for his contract? 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:59:00 PM by The GM »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Rodgers Contract Negotiation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
Those numbers are so insane I honestly can't even answer the question.  The biggest risk is the guaranteed money.  100 million are you kidding me?  What happens if he suffers a career ending injury.  You just can kiss the franchise goodbye for the next 5 years.  Packers are really in a box here.  I'd be reluctant to match that very reluctant.  Rather pay him slightly more but reduce the guaranteed money aspect.  That way at least the franchise would be somewhat protected in case disaster strikes.  I really don't like the escalating QB salaries.  It's getting out of hand.  To answer you question yes it will hamper the team and also is going to hurt all other NFL players that our not QB's. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:25:28 AM »
Matt Ryan just got a 5 yr/$150 mil contract with $100 mill guaranteed.  Looks like Rodgers is up next.  He deserves to be paid, but is there a point you say we cant put anything around him? Im sure Rodgers understands at a certain point he's hurting himself.  Sounds like they have some of the framework done already.  So what's a good number you expect to see for his contract?

The number is he will be the highest paid QB in the league. If not in Green Bay, he will be elsewhere. 35 million a year isn't absurd. Expect a similar deal to the one he signed previously. A lot of guaranteed money in the first few years, maybe 120 million. Notice how they're being cheap with their extra cap room this year. They did that prior to Aaron's new deal in 2013 also.

35 million is about the most a team could reasonably spend on one player with the current cap. If you're worried about Green Bay not having enough talent. Try and make a better team without Rodgers and spend the extra 30+ million on whoever you want. The more cap that becomes available it will go to the franchise players and players at premium positions before it trickles down to everyone else. I tire of the bellyaching over big money contracts, get over it.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 05:36:33 AM »
Just spittballin here, but I suspect that Rodgers' numbers will be more than Ryan's, but not that much more.  They are pushing the reasonable limit to the contracts.

I am surprised that the rest of the players in the league aren't pushing back on this.  The QB numbers are so high, yet other players become cap casualties at less than 1/3 of those numbers.  At some point these QB numbers could start affecting locker room dynamics.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:00:49 AM »
I wonder if they are still talking about his salary as a % of the cap. I remember reading that that idea has been tossed around.

That way his cap number rises as the cap rises. To match Ryan, at least for right now, they could set his cap number at 17% ($30.12M) for 2018. They would likely then have to guarantee either 3 or 4 years of a 5 years contract to get it to compete with Matty Ice.

With the CBA coming up for renegotiation it makes Rodgers bear the risk of the future increases in his salary. If cap growth slows, or flatlines, for period of time then so does Rodgers earnings. In some ways, this type of contract could make sense for QB's since they are the elephant in the room when it comes to eating up cap space.

I would also like to see language in the new CBA where they would allow teams (for argument purposes let's say the top 3 contracts on a team) to strike a contract from the teams cap charge if that top 3 player suffers a career ending injury. That could allow that team to move on from that player without killing it's cap for several years.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 04:06:43 PM »
Well, here are the real numbers for Ryan's contract. Notice there is a cap saving this year. So, as stated earlier, there are ways to structure these contracts so the player is paid big bucks, but the team still has maneuverability. Besides, if necessary, they could always restructure the contract to push the money into the future. Favre once joked that his grandchildren would still be receiving money from the Packers when they were in their 30's. Brady has done this numerous times. Looking at the numbers, it looks scary. But with the increases in the salary cap seemingly being secure for the forseeable future, they are willing pay what is necessary to keep the key to rheir success. Can't pay it? What's the alternative?

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/5/4/17318822/details-of-matt-ryans-contract-and-how-it-impacts-the-falcons-cap-get-that-man-paid
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:07:20 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid