November 20, 2018, 08:15:42 PM

Author Topic: Standing for the national anthem  (Read 1474 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Standing for the national anthem
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
I personally believe the NFL made a mistake when they changed from the old practice of playing the national anthem before the teams came out of the locker room.

I think they should go back to that.  Unlike the new rule, it eliminates the problem.

I'd go further. I've stated this before (but it bears repeating). The time for a national anthem (in the sporting arena) is when you play international games. The NFL doesn't do that, so why play the anthem at all. As I said before, almost all Western European countries (I cannot speak for the others) play it when they play International games, not for league games.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
I'd go further. I've stated this before (but it bears repeating). The time for a national anthem (in the sporting arena) is when you play international games. The NFL doesn't do that, so why play the anthem at all. As I said before, almost all Western European countries (I cannot speak for the others) play it when they play International games, not for league games.

But but but if we weren't hyper nationalistic how would we get our boys to ship out to little shit hole countries and risk their lives to "save democracy"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:49:45 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
Trump the mighty and all powerful commands you to bring him the broom of Al Davis, the wicked owner of the West.

Seriously, you think Roger listens to Trump?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:59 AM »
I don't know any specifics, but have read that teams get money from the government for allowing patriotic themes (big flags held by servicemen and women, fly-overs, National Anthem, etc) before games. First off, if true....why? The owners don't need it and I would stop it in a heartbeat if I could. So if you collect money for standing for the Anthem, you damn better stand for it.

Second, yes you have the right to protest. I have the right to not watch. The reason for all of Roger  Goodell's ruling is the viewership decline. Keep protesting, keep losing viewers and the cycle will repeat until your popularity ranks with Girl's field hockey. Exaggeration I know, but the NFL can't afford too much of a slip in ratings and lose their money from the networks. You can blame Trump for initiating the switch by the NFL, but people seemed to be doing their own counter-protest by switching off their TV for NFL games.

Living in Dallas area we read about the perks Goodell got for being the NFL commissioner from his spat with Jerry Jones, and all I can say is WOW! Trust me when I say this…no way he’s going to let the players interfere with his own gravy train or the owners.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:42:04 AM »
Second, yes you have the right to protest.

Yah? Try putting a communist chinese flag or a sign that says "no gay sinners allowed" in the window of your boss's store and then get back to us about your rights.

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »

Yah? Try putting a communist chinese flag or a sign that says "no gay sinners allowed" in the window of your boss's store and then get back to us about your rights.

Exactly! You have the right to protest, and your boss has the right to fire you for doing it on the job.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »

Exactly! You have the right to protest, and your boss has the right to fire you for doing it on the job.
In a nutshell, Nutz.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »

Not exactly applicable from a private business to a cooperative conglomerate using taxpayer funded facilities. A business that skirts the edges of collusion and monopolistic practices.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
The NFL is a "regulated" monopoly and they use taxpayer subsidized facilities.

They're still a business, and their employees still get paychecks. And can be suspended or fired for misconduct.

Your point is off thread.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 12:26:59 AM »

But but but if we weren't hyper nationalistic how would we get our boys to ship out to little shit hole countries and risk their lives to "save democracy"

There are no shit hole countries, none, zero, zip. Differing climate, geology and and government, yes. What you would call a shit hole country, I might refer to as a badly governed one.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »
The NFL is a "regulated" monopoly and they use taxpayer subsidized facilities.

They're still a business, and their employees still get paychecks. And can be suspended or fired for misconduct.

Your point is off thread.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. The NFL is a closed system, and effectively regulates itself. A monopoly? Absolutely. The collusion is the salary cap, draft and the ability of teams to terminate contracts with the player then losing his livelihood with no recourse. Sure, the team pays the penalty of having "dead cap" money, but all this is really off topic. The true question is whether blacks in the US are more likely to be mistreated by police. They are. Not on number of incidents, but on number of incidents in relation to percentage of population in the US. The disparity is that blacks are over twice as likely to be mistreated. And this intolerance of blacks seems to be growing. That is the issue the players were trying highlight. Instead, it became a false narrative of disrespect for the flag, military and/or anthem itself.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
The NFL is a monopoly and has a congressional exemption to the anti-trust act. From time to time congress threatens to repeal their exemption if certain conditions are not met. They get the exemption because of the CBA and union.

Blacks are mistreated by police if you count as a percentage of population. They are not mistreated by police or courts if you count as a percentage of crime.

Perhaps the blacks would be happier if they were not policed at all?

Tell me, what's being protested here?

Source: http://www.ocalapost.com/woman-fired-from-job-and-blocked-from-facebook-after-she-stomped-on-american-flag/

I see a couple of women who were most likely raised on welfare, most likely are functionally illiterate, almost certainly are innumerate, most likely unemployed, hate our nation, hate whites and want us to know they're representative of the new black power. I'd be happy to pay them to move to a better country.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:02:45 AM by marklawrence »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
Tell me, what's being protested here?

Source: http://www.ocalapost.com/woman-fired-from-job-and-blocked-from-facebook-after-she-stomped-on-american-flag/

I see a couple of women who were most likely raised on welfare, most likely are functionally illiterate, almost certainly are innumerate, most likely unemployed, hate our nation, hate whites and want us to know they're representative of the new black power. I'd be happy to pay them to move to a better country.

Apples and oranges. This "protest" is merely posturing by a couple of click-bait seekers. Ah, "New Black PAnthers", eh? Counterproductive morons is more like it. Losers who hide behind "cultural identity" to put forward an anti-white, anti-American agenda. As far as all the other assumptions you're making, I believe that speaks more to your own preconceptions rather than being fact based. Unless you know these women. Are they still unemployed? The article didn't say, only that one of them had been fired from a radio station. 

Now, these two were meaning to be disrespectful. Why? Because they seem to be breatly politically ignorant. This is similar to morons eating Tide Pods or snorting condoms or taking the "cinnamon test/dare/I want to show how stupid I am" challenge. Meanwhile, players protesting during the anthem have a clear set of objectives they want to see addressed, and talked about and hopefully resolved. These women were simply being disrespectful to be disrespectful. Personally, I'll fund their Ancestry DNA test so they can find their homeland, and gladly chip in to have them return to their true "homeland".

As far as the percentage of crime comment, that would take this thread in a totally different direction. I'll do some research and be in touch with you in the next few days. It is always interesting to interact with someone who is not an echo of my own beliefs.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
President Trump just "disinvited" the Eagles from a White House visit because it was unclear how many players would actually attend. So, not attending an event is not acceptable? What a snowflake!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/trump-disinvites-the-philadelphia-eagles-from-the-philadelphia-eagles-white-house-super-bowl-celebration.html

Are players not going to the White House unusual? Yes, but certainly not unprecedented. Here is an article on why this became an event, and what players decided to boycott the event, and why the event was sometimes cancelled:

https://theundefeated.com/features/athletes-passing-on-visiting-the-white-house-is-nothing-new-philadelphia-eagles/

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »
President Trump just "disinvited" the Eagles from a White House visit because it was unclear how many players would actually attend. So, not attending an event is not acceptable? What a snowflake!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/trump-disinvites-the-philadelphia-eagles-from-the-philadelphia-eagles-white-house-super-bowl-celebration.html

Are players not going to the White House unusual? Yes, but certainly not unprecedented. Here is an article on why this became an event, and what players decided to boycott the event, and why the event was sometimes cancelled:

https://theundefeated.com/features/athletes-passing-on-visiting-the-white-house-is-nothing-new-philadelphia-eagles/

Wrong Ricky.  Eagles were only going to send a small contingent.  This was not just a few players deciding not to go.  It was a BS decision by the players and Trump called them out rightly so.  More BS from the players.  Hell with them.  He did the right thing.