November 14, 2018, 02:15:41 PM

Author Topic: Heading to Canton for Jerry Kramer’s Enshrinement Ceremony  (Read 290 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
Heading to Canton for Jerry Kramer’s Enshrinement Ceremony

By Bob Fox

Yes, a week from today, I will be witnessing in person Jerry Kramer being enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. What a glorious moment that will be.

I won’t be alone, as my son Andrew will be traveling with me, plus Kramer’s family and friends will also be on hand, as well as a huge throng of people from Packer/NFL Nation.

What really makes this event so amazing and unbelievable is that Jerry first became eligible to get into the Hall of Fame 44 years ago.

That was three years after his head coach Vince Lombardi was given a bust in Canton in 1971, a year after he died from colon cancer. Lombardi had led the Packers to five NFL titles in seven years, including wins in the first two Super Bowl games.

Yes, Kramer became finalist in his first year of eligibility in 1974. That made sense, as No. 64 was named the best player ever at the guard position in the first 50 years of the NFL, when the Pro Football Hall of Fame named their NFL 50th anniversary team in 1969.

Add to that, Kramer was also named to the NFL All-Decade team for the 1960s.

Kramer was also a five-time AP first-team All-Pro and was named to three Pro Bowl squads. Kramer would have had more honors if not for injuries and medical issues that caused him to miss the better part of two-plus seasons.

Plus, not only was Kramer a great player in the regular season for the Packers, he was outstanding in the postseason as well, as his play stood out in the 1962, 1965 and 1967 NFL title games.

No play epitomizes that more that Bart Starr’s quarterback sneak in the 1967 NFL title game between the Packers and Dallas Cowboys at frigid Lambeau Field. That game will be forever known as the “Ice Bowl.”

Kramer led Starr into the end zone with a classic block on defensive tackle Jethro Pugh of the Cowboys.

To see the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/07/28/green-bay-packers-heading-to-canton-for-jerry-kramers-enshrinement-ceremony/

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Heading to Canton for Jerry Kramer’s Enshrinement Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Finally!!

Congrats to Jerry and his family!!

Thanks to Bob also for carrying on the fight, and yes it was a fight, in keeping Jerry's name alive.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.