November 13, 2018, 07:52:22 AM

Author Topic: Winston Moss  (Read 566 times)

Offline JerryA

• Rookie
Winston Moss
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:26:36 PM »
Anybody see his last two press conferences...what's up with him?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Winston Moss
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
One of the reporters at the presser actually asked him if they had done something to get him angry. That he had been a good interview subject, interesting and forthcoming. Why the change? There was a silent ten second stare from Moss. He's apparently very angry about something. What it is can only be speculated. Not getting the DC gig?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 06:31:05 PM »
If this guy is looking for a DC or HC job, hes killing his chances.  Belichick can get away with it because hes a proven winner.  Moss helped oversee a doormat defense.  I hope there is some method behind the madness, but this isnt a good look. IMO

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
If this guy is looking for a DC or HC job, hes killing his chances.  Belichick can get away with it because hes a proven winner.  Moss helped oversee a doormat defense.  I hope there is some method behind the madness, but this isnt a good look. IMO

Their is nothing remotely alike with what Belichick does and what Moss is doing.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »

Their is nothing remotely alike with what Belichick does and what Moss is doing.

Not sure, but seems to me that Moss has always given bad interviews, and seemed to be a poor communicator? 
*I recall thinking in some past years, "how can this guy be one of the top thinkers and decision-makers in the Packers defensive coaching room?  And how can a guy with this kind of communication skills be a good teacher?  And how can this guy be a possibility for DC or head coach positions?" 
*I may be misremembering, but it also seems to me that he's also given fewer of those interviews than many/most of the other position coaches? 
Who knows, I may not be remembering well at all, and may have missed lots of nice interviews by the man. 

Who knows, maybe he's just got an attitude with media?  But with the players he's a great teacher, a great communicator, a very detailed nuts-and-bolts guy, a great motivator, a great thinker, and a great analyst and creative schemes guy?  I hope so!  But man, if his level of teaching is as vague and generic as his interviews, and his level of teaching is "work really hard", "work harder", and "make more plays", it's pretty hard to see the value!   

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »
Anybody see his last two press conferences...what's up with him?

He's always been like that.

It's not that he doesn't like the media, IMO, it's that he doesn't like the questions being asked. They almost always ask him generic questions about this and that and he gives them a straight answer. If I were a player Moss is the sort of coach I would want. I don't believe the DC job has anything to do with him appearing "disgruntled." Having a coach like McCarthy and the way he interacts with the media also doesn't help the idea that the reporters expect an answer they can use, even if it's a poor question.

Like they might ask "so and so blah blah blah what should they focus on?" And he be like "everything is important, they need to focus on everything." He's said that multiple times. Or they might ask about someone putting in more time and working extra hard this offseason and he'll be like "so and so works hard everyday." 

Mike Pettine kept him on for a reason, he's a good coach who he can work with. With Pettine being a well respected coordinator and spent time as a HC, that says a lot. Moss never struck me as a media friendly guy. I was not surprised at all by his answers to the media recently.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:30:48 PM by claymaker »