July 23, 2018, 10:36:38 AM

Author Topic: Did everyone know this?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Did everyone know this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »
I thought Murphy made that clear right away with his hire. He might have been surprised at the time, but if he keeps up the player aquisitions, he'll get total control.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
I thought it was a smart move by Murphy. For a first time GM it makes sense to not give them total control and have a "checks and balances" sort of system.  Firing a HC is a big deal to me and it is somewhat common in the NFL, and I think this has more to do with that than hiring one. They have a formula that works and a lot of continuity with their system it's best not to jeopardize that even if you believe in Gutekunst.

I also like the way Green Bay structured their management this year.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
That is news to me, as it apparently was to Gutekunst.But then again, I heard on "Wilde and Tausch" (the diluted version of the superior "Green and Gold", IMO), that Gutekunst was MM's choice for GM. Which apparently means that this is MM's team, not Gutekunst's. What will be interesting is when it comes time to forming the team. Who has the final word, coach or GM?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
It was pretty clear this was the case when they announced Gutekunst was hired as GM.  In some ways, the decision makes sense-

Murphy is not like Jerry Jones, in that Murphy's a football guy- he had a reasonable career as a player, then got into the business of football.  He is much better positioned to make big football decisions than the typical owner who got into that position just by being a wealthy fan.

A team's success is dependent on player acquisition and coaching.  The guy in charge of player acquisition has a conflict of interest if the team is failing- he will blame the coach.  At best, both get fired after a bad year.  With the coach and GM both reporting to Murphy, then their career paths can be evaluated individually and changes made independent of each other.

I am ok with this.  If Gute wants more power, he should earn it through outstanding performance with player acquisition.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
I did not know this was a thing.  Think it could have pros and cons.
1.  Gute can focus on scouting/drafting/trading and making personnel/budget decisions.  Good.
2.  Budget is intrinsically intertwined.  Not sure how that works?  Possible conflict.
3.  In a sense, this is making Murphy king in practice.  In past, seemed like TT was effectively king, short of being fired.  I'm not sure that Murphy is really the best decision-maker? 
4.  No idea how personnel stuff will really go.  Is Murphy effectively taking control?  Coach wants a Nowacrat veteran; Gute wants a Buildican developmental prospect.  Who wins?  They argue it out and Murphy decides?  Gute is GM, so he decides, whether MM likes it or not?  MM is king, and basically Gute is instructed to serve MM and give him the guys he wants?  Could be complex. 
5.  Could also be clear-cut, too.  Perhaps GM has total control over roster, and total control over budget?  Budget guy makes recommendations or suggests ways to structure deals, but it's Gute who sets the targets and balances pros-and-cons and makes the decisions on whether to boost an offer, or when to call it quite?  Perhaps Gute has all of the roster power as did Ted.  He listens to input from MM, but he makes the calls even if it goes against MM's preference? 
6.  Obviously if Murphy is king and MM and Gute and Ball all answer to him, there is capacity for griping.  "Gute's not getting me the guys I need.  How can I win with all these young UDFA guys who don't know what they are doing?"  "MM's just stuck with the Nowacrat vets, and won't give my Buildican D+D guys opportunity.  And his choice of assistants isn't really getting teachers and developmental coaches either, he's not the guy for developing for the future."  "Gute's got no sense of financial responsibility.  And why is he making me waste all this time negotiating with the Bears CB when we know they're going to match any decent deal anyway?"   

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »
It was pretty clear this was the case when they announced Gutekunst was hired as GM.  In some ways, the decision makes sense-

Murphy is not like Jerry Jones, in that Murphy's a football guy- he had a reasonable career as a player, then got into the business of football.  He is much better positioned to make big football decisions than the typical owner who got into that position just by being a wealthy fan.

You're mistaken. Jerry Jones was a db and played with Jimmy Johnson.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:28 PM »

You're mistaken. Jerry Jones was a db and played with Jimmy Johnson.

I did not know that, thank you. hatsoff)

Does the "b" in db stand for bag?   >:D 

As I have been reading, I find that he was an offensive lineman, but never played in the NFL.  Tough guy though- played guard in college while weighing under 200 pounds.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:15:20 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
Just some food for thought for everyone.  With the Packer being privately owned by the shareholders, wouldn't the shareholders have a say in some of the goings on like any other business?  A plug for the upcoming shareholders meeting and shareholders.  If my company loses money or has a losing season can we get rid of the coach? GM? 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »
Just some food for thought for everyone.  With the Packer being privately owned by the shareholders, wouldn't the shareholders have a say in some of the goings on like any other business?  A plug for the upcoming shareholders meeting and shareholders.  If my company loses money or has a losing season can we get rid of the coach? GM?

Publicly held, not privately.

Stock is considered non-participating stock.
In short, you frame it and forget it.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
That's not quite right. We can elect board members. But generally the board members are so thrilled to be actually sitting in a board meeting that actually doing anything controversial is unthinkable.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »

Publicly held, not privately.

Stock is considered non-participating stock.
In short, you frame it and forget it.

Well you do get to vote for the board of directors.