September 24, 2018, 03:34:46 AM

Author Topic: UDFA's heading to training camp  (Read 283 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
UDFA's heading to training camp
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Every year a UDFA or 2 or more win their way on to the 53 against long odds. Here are a few comments and thoughts on this year crop from OTA's.

QB - Tim Boyle

From Rob Demovsky

Rookie QB Tim Boyle, who for some reason got team reps ahead of DeShone Kizer, hit J’Mon Moore in stride for a 41-yard TD.

Almost all of the feed coming out of the OTA's about Boyle has been very positive. Should be fun to watch unfold.

TE's - Kevin Rader and Ryan Smith

The news so far on these two has been slim to none. Rader did get a mention in the first OTA from a Packers beat writer about a nice red-zone TD catch, but that is it for what I have found. Zero on Smith.

OL - Alex Light, Kyle Meadows and Austin Davis

The only mention of these 3 was Light jumping offsides and being removed from a drill. In all fairness to the OL and blocking drills, we really won't get any hand-me-down information until the pads go on.

DL - Tyler Lancaster and Conor Sheehy

This really is similar to the OL in that until they are in pads it is hard to tell much, but interesting enough Lancaster has drawn praise from his DL coach twice already. Worth watching to see how he develops.

OLB - Naashon Hughes

Nothing yet, crickets.

ILB - Parris Bennett, C.J. Johnson, Marcus Porter, Greer Martini

Of this group Martini got some great praise from one of the defensive coaches on how fast he is playing and how well he is catching on. Sorry I forgot which coach, but it was in one of the pressers by the asst. coaches on thursday on Packers.com.

S - Raven Greene

Zach Kruse

Verified account

Raven Greene is starting to build interest. Believe Joe Whitt mentioned him by name yesterday. Going to be a guy to watch at camp.

Aaron Andrews

More
Awhile back I had mentioned when the #Packers picked up UDFA Raven Greene, that he could be a real dark horse to make the final roster. I still believe that's a real possibility.

Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
Follow Follow @SconnieSports
More Andy Herman Retweeted Andy Herman
Raven Greene has been making a little noise during minicamp. Here was the udfa thread I put together on Greene.

Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
 Jun 14
More
And Tim Boyle comes back to life a bit as he throws a pick to Raven Greene in the red zone.

Their has been something good from Greene on almost a daily basis at OTA's, I think he has given a very positive impression to the coaching staff. I thought that he had a pick of Rodgers early on, but can't seem to find that now.

Of what I have seen, it looks like Boyle on the offensive side of the ball and Lancaster, Martini and Greene on the defensive side of the ball have started the fastest of the UDFA's. This can all change quickly when the pads go on. 

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: UDFA's heading to training camp
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
QB - Tim Boyle

From Rob Demovsky

Rookie QB Tim Boyle, who for some reason got team reps ahead of DeShone Kizer, hit J’Mon Moore in stride for a 41-yard TD.

Almost all of the feed coming out of the OTA's about Boyle has been very positive. Should be fun to watch unfold.

Kizer is effectively about a second round pick. He's already made the team unless he seriously screws up - like drugs, girls, police all at one time. He's here for QB school, to get his mechanics rebuilt. He needs to practice footwork and arm motion; reps just keep him doing it wrong.

Boyle, by contrast, has to pick up the play book and show something really good to have a shot at #3, and he has to show some serious potential to make the PC. So he gets the reps.

Makes sense to me.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!