July 23, 2018, 10:17:31 AM

Author Topic: Five reasons why Packers can reach Super Bowl LIII  (Read 613 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Five reasons why Packers can reach Super Bowl LIII
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
Fluff piece, but somewhat entertaining and we're in the middle of the news blackout.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Five-reasons-why-Green-Bay-Packers-can-reach-Super-Bowl-LIII-119467284/
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Five reasons why Packers can reach Super Bowl LIII
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:41:12 AM »
Yes a nice fluff piece.  Don't mind Packers fluff.  If the Packers stay healthy this year they can compete.  Think the team to beat in the NFC will be the LA Rams.  How great would it be for the Packers to bring home the Lombardi in their 100th year.  Pretty awesome if they could pull it off.  Pack has a shot but I say that every year.  After last season's disaster going in with tempered expectations.

Offline CletidusH

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »
As bad as last year was, they needed some "new blood" in the organization and I think they made some necessary changes.

They can compete for a Super Bowl title if #12 is healthy and back to what he was before the collarbone injury.  He didn't look like the same guy vs. Carolina but it hopefully was due to rust and not truly being 100%.  If nothing else, I think the secondary has a chance to be vastly improved by season's end. They were just awful there the past 2 years and I think fixing that will go a long ways towards getting back to being a legit contender.

I could see 2019 maybe even better than 2018 for the Pack but you never know how things will go, so we'll just enjoy 2018 and see what comes of it.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
Fluff yes but all true.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
Rodgers stays healthy, the defense is top five to top ten in points allowed per game, and absolutely the Packers are going to be strong contenders. At the same time, they need to start strong, get home field advantage, and let the chips fall where they may.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:56 AM »
Rodgers stays healthy, the defense is top five to top ten in points allowed per game, and absolutely the Packers are going to be strong contenders. At the same time, they need to start strong, get home field advantage, and let the chips fall where they may.

Starting strong cant be overstated. How many seasons did we see them drop absolute headscratchers to bottom reader teams, while everyone chalked it up to being a whole season not just one game? Problem is, that one game can be the difference between hosting the NFCC or riding the bus the entire playoff route. My old coach said you have to win the gimmies, and you better play damn well in every other game. Packers have had issues with the gimmies for awhile, which has affected their playoff success.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
Week 1 - Chicago (H)
Week 2 - MN (H)
Week 3 - WASH (A)
Week 4 - BUF (H)
Week 5 - DET (A)
Week 6 - SF (H)
Week 7 - BYE

The only thing good about this start is that 4 of the first 6 are at home. I don't see any gimmes. The defense better gel during preseason, and the whole team better be bringing their "A" game every single week.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
...the defense is top five to top ten in points allowed per game, and absolutely the Packers are going to be strong contenders. ....

That may be a somewhat optimistic hypothetical!  :):)

But yeah, **if** defense is in top 5-10, I'd think that **if** Rodgers is healthy, you'd have a shot at the Super Bowl.   Even if the offense surrounding Rodgers is kinda cobbled together. 

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Going back to the Favre age and Rodgers last Super Bowl, the Packers finally have solid weapons at TE for Rodgers passing and running game.  The team of Jackson and Chmura were awesome as was the uncoverable Finley.  No one has stepped forward at that position, nor has management and coaches failed to draft a replacement for Finley.  This is reason #1.

Getting rid of our lame Defensive Coordinator is reason #2.

Adding talent to the defense is reason #3.  Adams, King and Biegel were virtually useless last year when we really could have used some help.  Pakcers once again could have moved up to draft a stud LB and instead chose to draft multiple DB's again, because TT failed at addressing this position previously.  With twelve picks I thought for sure we would move up to draft Smith from Georgia, I would've settled for the Kid from Alabama!  The two rookies will help for the mistake made in the second rd of last year, IE CB/S from NC State.  The FA signing should help a whole lot teaming with Daniels, Clark and now Adams.  Surprised Perry is still with the team after signing huge contract and producing zilch over the last two years.  Maybe Mathews will be revitalized.  Maybe our young MLB from Stanford will learn to play pass defense, surprising he made a huge improvement improvement!  Perhaps we trade our 2nd rd pick in next years draft for Earl Thomas.

Reason 4  Aaron is back

Reason 5  Team is hungry with new blood!