November 14, 2018, 02:01:46 PM

Author Topic: Five things to anticipate in training camp  (Read 704 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Five things to anticipate in training camp
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
Twenty more days before the pads go and and things get more interesting. Here is a preview by one writer. Any additions? Punter will have to wait for the exhibition season, I suppose.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/five-things-to-watch-once-training-camp-starts-225
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Five things to anticipate in training camp
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
I think the coordinators will be putting their stamps on this year's team in a big way!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »
I think the coordinators will be putting their stamps on this year's team in a big way!

How so? Pettine has been pretty well discussed, but what about Philbin? How will he change the offense? And how much input will MM have on the final play calling?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:59:37 AM »

How so? Pettine has been pretty well discussed, but what about Philbin? How will he change the offense? And how much input will MM have on the final play calling?

Almost as important as the new players, is the totally re-done playbook, the new OC, the new DC, but there is plenty besides that, to affect the whole coaching unit. On offense we have Hostler as the new pass game coordinator, Raih who has moved from offensive perimeter to WRs coach and new QB coach Frank Cignetti Jr. On defense Patrick Graham is now the ILB coach and run game coordinator, while Jason Simmons has responsibility for DBs. Taken all together coaching has had a HUGE makeover.

I feel pretty positive about the whole coaching shakeup (with the exception of retaining Moss and his toxic attitude), though the proof is how things pan out, over time.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
..Almost as important as the new players, is the totally re-done playbook, .... though the proof is how things pan out, over time.

Will be interesting to see.  I think there have been a lot of hopeful thoughts about a totally re-done playbook. 

I think that seems fun and intriguing, and potentially effective.  But I'm guessing is that to me as a fan, the re-done playbook will look pretty much like the old playbook.  i think MM believes that his approach is good, and it's gotten him to the payoffs every Rodgers-healthy season.  So I don't anticipate radical re-design, or at least radical enough to be obvious to fans of my level?

I kinda suspect it may be more of a thorough "quality-control" evaluation.  Got a large playbook:
1.  Which of them when used have worked better? 
2.  Which of them haven't?  If so, why not? 
3.  Which are in the playbook, but haven't been used much?  If not why not? 

In each case, for each play, there would probably be analysis regarding players and execution.   
1.  To what degree were plays not used or not successful due to players rather than play design?  And if so, could be revitalized with new personnel executing? 
*For example, good plays that worked with Finley or Cook, but failed with no-speed Bennett and Cook?
*Or well-designed plays that didn't work consistently because they depended on Ty Montgomery blocking?
*Or plays designed to get a 1-on-1 WR matchup, which worked pretty well with Jordy/Driver/Jennings/Jones, but didn't work that well with 2017 Jordy/Janis/Allison? 

2.  To what degree were play-designs flawed, but could be vitalized by some finesse adjustments?  After studying the film, you see how things didn't work out right consistently.  But if you waited an extra step, or crossed a little sooner, or something, the tweaked version might improve? 

3.  Same for personnel packages: which personnel groups worked best and worst?
*For example, 2TE, or fullback, or 6th lineman, etc.. 

I believe they do this kind of analysis every year, to varying detail.  For example, MM has long liked use of fullback; but following 2016 the data showed sets including a fullback didn't work well.  So in 2017, fullback snaps dropped dramatically. 

4.  Of course it's possible that Philbin or other coaches will come in with some new ideas; that MM will think up/introduce some new plays; and that seeing plays that work for other teams, or  that have stressed the Packers defense, might be added. 

But overall, I suspect that the basic "look" of the offense won't really change very much.  Every team every year is trying to optimize all of its plays, to reduce usage of less effective plays, to coach the players to execute the plays optimally well, and to optimally fit the plays to the actual players on a given week, and the actual opponent matchups.   

So I suspect this is perhaps a more thorough consideration, but probably nothing real dramatic.  Add a few; tweak a bunch; and perhaps remove a bunch that just aren't going to get used anyway. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »
Yes indeed Craig. As you say the playbook may be fairly familiar, but with tweaks learned through experience and time in the film room.

If however, there is a new philosophy being integrated into the playbook (possibly driven by Philbin being back), then the changes could be larger. The NFL is always evolving, so either case could be true.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »
Watching the Packer's offense the last few years I've seen a sameness that tries to exploit mismatches but does a poor job of execution. The reason Green Bay has gotten away with it is due to the fact they have Rodgers behind center.  Philbin as OC was very creative in his match-ups and making them work. Add to it the strength of Rodgers and hopefully a solid oline....the offense should be very effective w/o Rodgers having to make laser precision throws everytime.

I think Philbin will do more for the offense then Pettine does for the defense and I'm expecting the defense to be at least a top 10 in the league.

That is why I think they will be putting their stamps on the Packers this year.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!