July 23, 2018, 10:40:00 AM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 6912 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
 57m57 minutes ago
More
The Packers have added to their already deep defensive line group. They signed DT Joey Mbu, who played in seven games for the Colts last season. He's also been on the practice squads of the Falcons and Redskins.

This fills out the empty roster spot the Packers had. Joey Mbu was a player I believe they had in for a 30 visit in 2015. Had interest in signing him as a UDFA that year. With Filipo Mokofisi retiring before he started, they were one camp body short on the DL to start training camp. Signing makes perfect sense from a roster balance standpoint.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
This signing fits with Pettines defensive philosophy on building a defense off a strong DL. The more bodies he has to work with, the more competition they will have.
Cream will rise to the top.
Makes me wonder if they will keep 6, or maybe 7, DL?

Big boys get tuckered out faster. Pettine may want to do a lot (A LOT) of rotating along the DL to keep guys fresh.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »
This signing fits with Pettines defensive philosophy on building a defense off a strong DL. The more bodies he has to work with, the more competition they will have.
Cream will rise to the top.
Makes me wonder if they will keep 6, or maybe 7, DL?

Big boys get tuckered out faster. Pettine may want to do a lot (A LOT) of rotating along the DL to keep guys fresh.

The answer to having a strong DL against you is to run the "hurry up" offense, and, with someone like AR, catch them with 12 guys on the field when they try to sub someone in. So, as always, move/countermove. But, yeah, the more competition, the more likely to have the best players on the team. And also, with more guys with prior NFL experience, the guys coming in won't be inexperienced. Could Gutekunst have a more veteran team than TT usually had? Stay tuned. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Descartes

• Rookie
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »
Seems like the kind of guy you can root for:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2015/3/19/8184503/bbs-next-hidden-gem-1-joey-mbu-nt-dt-houston

Funny guy, too:

Asked 6-2, 315-pound Joey Mbu his best NFL position. "Slot receiver."
    — Doug Farrar (@SI_DougFarrar) February 20, 2015

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »
According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the team successfully claimed guard Ethan Cooper off waivers from the New York Giants, waiving undrafted free-agent tackle Kyle Meadows to create room.

A 6-foot-2, 322-pound guard, Cooper spent 2017 with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Giants. Though New York retained him for 2018 on a futures contract, they waived him on Thursday to make room for veteran offensive lineman Zac Kerin. Cooper played his college ball for the IUP Crimson Hawks, a Division II program. He went unselected in the 2017 NFL Draft before landing in Pittsburgh.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
Thanks, RT.  I'd guess a guy who's had a year in camps and practice and NFL body-building would probably be more likely to be Nowacrat serviceable.  I wonder if he has any center experience, or if that was a factor?  Given all the mixture at interior, you never know. 

I always love these D2 underdog stories.  :)