November 19, 2018, 10:02:02 PM

Author Topic: Training Camp notes  (Read 3702 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Training Camp notes
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler
 3h3 hours ago
More
Pettine putting defense through drill working strictly on assignments off of offensive personnel shifts. No running. No snap of the ball. Never saw this under Dom.

Tramon Williams, Davon House and Kevin King are first up at corner in initial team work.

Fackrell is up first in Perry's absence in early drill work.

Rodgers first pass of camp is picked by Kevin King. Deep up the right sideline to Cobb.

Rodgers just found Adams late on the left sideline and made a ridiculous throw that just looked routine to beat House.

Absolutely fantastic diving catch by Trevor Davis on a bomb from Rodgers up the left sideline to end team session. Davis was behind the defense by at least two steps.

On first punt drill vs. rush, Scott averages 55 yards on 6 punts with 4.39 second hang time, breeze at his back.

Trevor Davis has been working Davon House all practice.

J'Mon Moore made the most of his opportunities today. A few real nice catches running with the 1s. We'll see if he can keep it up.

Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
 2h2 hours ago
More
For today at least, DeShone Kizer getting second-team reps ahead of Brett Hundley. We’ll see if #Packers rotate through camp.

Some other tidbits from first team reps: Kyler Fackrell starting at OLB opposite Clay Matthews, Kentrell Brice at strong safety, Jason Spriggs at RT. Also interesting: Tramon Williams in the slot, with Davon House on perimeter opposite Kevin King.

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
 51m51 minutes ago
More
CB Kevin King was beaten badly deep by Davonte Adams, but Rodgers overthrew. Tested again, King was glued to Geronimo Allison on Tim Boyle’s well-thrown deep ball.

Lane Taylor is being eased into camp after missing time in OTAs with an ankle injury.

Clinton-Dix and Kentrell Brice are the starting safeties.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Training Camp notes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/07/26/packers-bryan-bulaga-offensive-line-outlook/844131002/

Bulaga says he feels good, and could be practicing. 
Says doc PUPed him to be on the conservative side. 
MM says  BB looks great and says he thinks he'll be ready for the opening game. 

I love it. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Verified account

@ByRyanWood
 3h3 hours ago
More
Entering camp, McCarthy said he had coordinators address both sides of the ball. Wanted offensive players to hear from Mike Pettine, and defensive players to hear from Joe Philbin.

McCarthy says it's not an accident #Packers rookie J'Mon Moore is already repping with Aaron Rodgers. Each opportunity is earned, he said. Likes how Moore has transitioned to learning multiple WR spots.

In first nickel rep, #Packers rookie Jaire Alexander in the slot with Tramon Williams and Davon House on perimeter. Would think Alexander gets more and more first-team reps as nickel throughout camp.

Jason Spriggs taking bulk of first-team RT reps. Kyle Murphy gets one rep on first OL, then Spriggs right back in.

Three #Packers rotating at punt return: Trevor Davis, Quinten Rollins, Tramon Williams. Interesting. Rollins coming off torn Achilles. Williams is 35.

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow Follow @RobDemovsky
More
The QB rotation so far in camp has been Rodgers, Hundley, Rodgers, Kizer during team drills (with a few reps for rookie Tim Boyle sprinkled in). Will be interesting if/when Kizer starts pushing Hundley.

Aaron Rodgers mentioned Mike Pettine's speech to the team yesterday was a "near all-timer," Coach Mike McCarthy said today it was important for the whole team to hear the messages from the defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator (Joe Philbin)

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 06:16:18 AM »
Last year I started a thread "2017 defense better than 2016" where I expressed my concerns that the defense was as bad if not worse than the previous year. While I think this years defense will be better than 2017 I still have major concerns.

1. Davon House starting on the outside opposite King. If House is one of our starting cb's we are in trouble, never been very good or reliable. Last year in TC he was said to be our #1 cb, yikes, hopefully not this year.  Need the rookies to step up. I really liked the pick of Alexander and love his competitiveness, he will make an impact this year. I also liked the Jackson pick, but have concerns related to his ability to play press coverage, he has the skills, but maybe not a strength.

2. OLB CMIII and Perry, both unreliable with little for backups, hopefully the D-line can create pressure inside and we don't have to rely as much on the OLB.

3. Safety, still not convinced Ha Ha is the stud Safety every defense needs. Looking for a big jump from Jones, but this may not happen, then what Brice? I like Brice, but so far can't stay healthy.

4. ILB, I like Martinez, but he needs to be our second best ILB, Ryan is a liability in coverage and gets exposed, Burks hopefully can step up and be an improvement over what we currently have.

I am hopeful with the new DC and scheme which was long overdue. The D-line should be top 5, King is an upgrade, Alexander and Jackson will go through their growing pains, but will compete and improve.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 06:36:54 AM »
House won't be starting he may not even make the team.  Packers want to make the rooks earn a starting job nothing is ever handed out.  King and Tramon on the boundaries and Alexander in the slot.  That's my guess.  Yes Perry and Mathews are unreliable.  Think Beigel will step up and be a solid back up.  I still like Fackrell.  He can bend and get around the edge.  Hopefully he continues to improve his game.  Took a late round flier on Donnerson we'll see if he makes any noise in camp.  We also have Gilbert.  Let's face it not the strongest position group.

Weak at ILB.  True.  Against the run very tough.  Burks will probably see very limited action early on.  They talked about Jones strictly as a Safety however he still may be used in this role.

Haven't had a D-line like this since 96.  This is the strength of the defense. 

Biggest reason for optimism is Pettine.  I think we will be a middle of the Pack defense worst case and potentially top 10 this year.  Wish we had one more stud OLB and ILB more of a depth thing.  Starters are fine if they can stay healthy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 06:37:37 AM by scoremore »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

If you are looking for things to worry about, this year has more changes than any in the recent past. Big revamp of the offensive playbook, two new coordinators, new position coaches, many players being counted on as starters, with two, one, or no years experience, in the NFL.

It's all there to worry about, if that's your nature. I see hope and expect improvement.......but that is MY nature.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »

If you are looking for things to worry about, this year has more changes than any in the recent past. Big revamp of the offensive playbook, two new coordinators, new position coaches, many players being counted on as starters, with two, one, or no years experience, in the NFL.

It's all there to worry about, if that's your nature. I see hope and expect improvement.......but that is MY nature.

Not looking to worry about anything, just expressing my concern over lingering issues that have yet to be resolved over several years now. I am also hopeful and think the additions this year are positive and we will see improvement. It is in my nature after years of mismanagement on all levels of the defensive side of the ball to not be overly optimistic and take a wait and see approach. Last year after my post I was criticized in the same way and guess what the defense was worse.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »
Does anybody know if Cole Madison ever showed up? I just read the latest media tweets via ‘Acme Packing,' and he wasn’t listed among those who were not participating in practice.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »

Not looking to worry about anything, just expressing my concern over lingering issues that have yet to be resolved over several years now. I am also hopeful and think the additions this year are positive and we will see improvement. It is in my nature after years of mismanagement on all levels of the defensive side of the ball to not be overly optimistic and take a wait and see approach. Last year after my post I was criticized in the same way and guess what the defense was worse.

Not critisising, just pointing out that different people see the same big picture in different ways. You can focus on things that worry you, or on things that give you hope. Both equally valid.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
Does anybody know if Cole Madison ever showed up? I just read the latest media tweets via ‘Acme Packing,' and he wasn’t listed among those who were not participating in practice.

Brian L Jones

@BrianJones247
 6h6 hours ago
More
#Packers head coach Mike McCarthy just wrapped up his third press conference of camp. He said he still has no update on rookie OL Cole Madison who has yet to report to camp due to a personal matter.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
House won't be starting he may not even make the team.  Packers want to make the rooks earn a starting job nothing is ever handed out.  King and Tramon on the boundaries and Alexander in the slot.  That's my guess.  Yes Perry and Mathews are unreliable.  Think Beigel will step up and be a solid back up.  I still like Fackrell.  He can bend and get around the edge.  Hopefully he continues to improve his game.  Took a late round flier on Donnerson we'll see if he makes any noise in camp.  We also have Gilbert.  Let's face it not the strongest position group.

Weak at ILB.  True.  Against the run very tough.  Burks will probably see very limited action early on.  They talked about Jones strictly as a Safety however he still may be used in this role.

Haven't had a D-line like this since 96.  This is the strength of the defense. 

Biggest reason for optimism is Pettine.  I think we will be a middle of the Pack defense worst case and potentially top 10 this year.  Wish we had one more stud OLB and ILB more of a depth thing.  Starters are fine if they can stay healthy.

If you’re looking for one more stud OLB, Packers should keep their eyes/ears tuned in to what happens with Colts OLB John Simon
INDY is changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and Simon has to convert to DE.
The talk is he may get cut on the final cutdown. He was one of INDY’s best defenders in2017.
If GB likes him enough, they should offer a conditional pick in 2019 rather than wait on maybe getting him off waivers. He would be a strong #3 behind CM3 and Perry.

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
Where is Nagler?

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:07:47 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
Last year I started a thread "2017 defense better than 2016" where I expressed my concerns that the defense was as bad if not worse than the previous year. While I think this years defense will be better than 2017 I still have major concerns.

1. Davon House starting on the outside opposite King. If House is one of our starting cb's we are in trouble, never been very good or reliable. Last year in TC he was said to be our #1 cb, yikes, hopefully not this year.  Need the rookies to step up. I really liked the pick of Alexander and love his competitiveness, he will make an impact this year. I also liked the Jackson pick, but have concerns related to his ability to play press coverage, he has the skills, but maybe not a strength.

2. OLB CMIII and Perry, both unreliable with little for backups, hopefully the D-line can create pressure inside and we don't have to rely as much on the OLB.

3. Safety, still not convinced Ha Ha is the stud Safety every defense needs. Looking for a big jump from Jones, but this may not happen, then what Brice? I like Brice, but so far can't stay healthy.

4. ILB, I like Martinez, but he needs to be our second best ILB, Ryan is a liability in coverage and gets exposed, Burks hopefully can step up and be an improvement over what we currently have.

I am hopeful with the new DC and scheme which was long overdue. The D-line should be top 5, King is an upgrade, Alexander and Jackson will go through their growing pains, but will compete and improve.

I agree with most of this, Im just glad they recognized the changed that needed to be made, and made them.  Im all for giving the coodinator a legit shot, but my God, that was ugly for a long time.  Im grateful they are trying something else.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:57:06 AM by The GM »

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
Where the hell is Aaron Nagler? Anyone? Did he get fired?