November 16, 2018, 12:14:40 AM

Author Topic: Training Camp notes  (Read 3671 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Training Camp notes
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
#Packers LT David Bakhtiari with a slight limp as he left the field. Getting looked at by trainers now on the sideline.

Bakhtiari removed his left cleat and sock, hopping on cart now. They're taking him to the locker room. That's not what the #Packers need.

Kyle Murphy has been taking mostly left tackle reps with second team in camp. He's at LT on #Packers first OL with David Bakhtiari out during two-minute drill.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 06:50:12 AM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
#Packers LT David Bakhtiari with a slight limp as he left the field. Getting looked at by trainers now on the sideline.

Bakhtiari removed his left cleat and sock, hopping on cart now. They're taking him to the locker room. That's not what the #Packers need.

Kyle Murphy has been taking mostly left tackle reps with second team in camp. He's at LT on #Packers first OL with David Bakhtiari out during two-minute drill.

Hoping it’s just a sprain.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
Rodgers calls out the wide receivers after practice today (Tuesday):

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/07/aaron-rodgers-goes-off-on-some-younger-packers-receivers/

BUT, he gives a More Props to Kumerow, and also a shout to Yancey and Geronimo!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:46:12 PM by JQ »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »
Kyler Fackrell could be an early cut this year is he keeps looking like this.

"Marcedes Lewis vs Kyler Fackrell is this year's best comedy. It looked like a Dad holding off his kid in a pickup game at a family picnic."  Nagler

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »

"Marcedes Lewis vs Kyler Fackrell is this year's best comedy. It looked like a Dad holding off his kid in a pickup game at a family picnic."  Nagler

Sorry danno, but Fackrell isn't going anywhere but the opening day roster again this season. IMHO

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »

Sorry danno, but Fackrell isn't going anywhere but the opening day roster again this season. IMHO

Not a problem RT. Always respect your opinions and insight.

Would love to see Fackrell make the team. Just think he needs to step up his game more if he's going to get there. JMHO

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
https://theathletic.com/458257/2018/08/03/the-throw-by-aaron-rodgers-is-still-creating-a-buzz-in-camp-and-so-is-the-emergence-of-jake-kumerow/?redirected=1

The Packers worked several tandems of gunners during a punt coverage drill. The first-string gunners were Allison and cornerback Demetri Goodson; then cornerback Donatello Brown and safety Josh Jones; then wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling and cornerback Josh Jackson

Also listened to Zook. Said he wanted to get Jaire more return work; and would also like to see some returns for each of the three rookie WR.  (Although he mentioned MVS and Moore twice, EQ only once.)  Also mentioned Rollins, Cobb, and I believe Ty.   

Thought that was interesting in that last year, there were some who figured Allison's roster spot was shaky because he couldn't do ST!  :)  Now might he not only be starting WR but also inheriting the Janis gunner spot?  (I know, I know, I just kid; I know it's one practic report.  I also know that playing gunner, even if he does play gunner it doesn't mean he'll play it well like Janis.....) 

With the 3 rook WR, obviously most of the attention has been on their receiving experiences in camp.  But their aptitude for ST may obviously impact which make the roster. 

Other note:  I've been of the mind that ST is of diminishing importance, given how you can usually kick kickoffs out of the endzone if you like; you can usually let kickoffs go out of the endzone if you like; most punts are fair-catches (or should be); and with big-leg hang-time Scott, even more punts should be fair-catches than ever. 

But several people have mentioned how the rule change might make kickoff-ST MORE important than last year.  Without a running start, the coverage guys won't get down as fast and their may be more incentive to try a few more returns.  From that standpoint, I wonder if speed is more important than before?  With a running start, maybe anybody could get down there, and maybe power was more valuable.  But will speed/acceleration be increasingly important without the advantage of a running start? 

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Seems to be a bit of concern over the 2nd team offensive tackle performance last night. I think Justin McCray will actually be the top backup tackle. With Lucas Patrick then taking over at guard.

Patrick quietly played just under 25% of the snaps last year with 2 starts and 2 other games that he had to fill in extensively. He started at LG last night for Taylor and only played 13 snaps. I think that points to him being the top backup guard and that the Packers have already seen enough of what he can do. McCray has shown he can play tackle at an acceptable level. While he's had his issues there, his overall growth has certainly been noticeable.

I'm feeling much better about the OL depth going into this year compared to last year. As injury riddled as the line was last year, it wasn't a complete disaster. With basically the same group of guys, the experience gained can only be a plus. You'd have to think that Bulaga is the only one who might face the possibly of having taken a step backwards (due to injury & age). The guy is a proven warrior though. I wouldn't bet against him.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »
Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
 8h8 hours ago
More
King, Tramon, House, Martinez, Burks, HaHa & Brice with the 1s as they run through scout team looks.

Jaire, Rollins, Jackson, Martini, Thomas, Jones and Evans working with the 2s on defense.

Goodson, Pipkins, Hawkins, Hughes, Porter, Rollins and Greene with the 3s. Pipkins in slot.

Packers working on some dime looks with the db’s. King & House outside, Tramon and J. Jones in the slot. HaHa & Brice over the top. Brice has been the consistent starter at safety when he’s been healthy throughout camp.

Ones on offense:

Rodgers, Allison, Cobb, Adams, Graham, Murphy, Pankey, Linsley, McCray, Bell.

James Looney is starting to show up. Fires through the o-line in team drills.

Very next play Looney gets through again.

Now Fackrell with an appearance in the backfield.

Adams beats Waters easy on a slant and it didn’t take Rodgers long to find him for a nice gain over the middle.

Bulaga getting reps in team which is great to see. Quietly Ryan Smith having a nice day so far.

Greer Martini with a fantastic read on a fake reverse screen pass. There immediately to meet the RB.

Now Oren Burks with a great stop on an outside run.

Josh Jackson 1x1 with EQ outside on a fly. Solid coverage but it looked like EQ had a quarter step. Ball way overthrown by Kizer.

Wilkerson with a great read on a screen pass; no fooling the vet.

After showing consistent hands on punt returns, Jaire just muffed one.

Hawkins great pbu on Cobb

Gilbert good rush vs Murphy

Williams expert blitz pickup vs Pipkins

Ugh. Kizer holds the ball wayyyyy too long. Would have taken like 14 sacks and then brutally overthrows his open checkdown.

Allison with a 1 handed catch in the flat. He’s caught absolutely everything so far this offseason.

1st team defense with dominant coverage against the backups. Hundley nowhere to go. Would have taken a sack.

Lewis with a really nice contested catch short vs. Goodson.

MVS with a less than inspiring option route, no separation vs a LB.

Low snap from Linsley but another 1 handed catch in the flat. This time by Ty.

2nd team defense great coverage vs first team offense. Oline held up well and gave 12 time but nowhere to go.

EQ with a nice catch on a slant but Raven Greene would have crushed him had it been live tackling.

Kizer continues to struggle. This time missing badly on an intermediate out route.

Akeem Judd with an impressive blitz pickup. Making the most of his abbreviated time in camp.

J’Mon Moore - well known to have suspect hands - gets a shot on PRs and shockingly muffs his 2nd chance.

Yancey with a clean drop wide open over the middle from Rodgers. Has to catch that.

And Greer Martini continues to impress. This time with a diving PBU.

Now Spriggs owns and pancakes Biegel.

Lowry blows by Amichia for a sack.

Kizer poor recognition as he misses 81 streaking over the middle wide open. Took too long but eventually completed the pass.

Ryan Smith has like 5-6 catches in team today. All very short for minimal gains

Adam Pankey’s gotten some big reps as 1st team lg today & from what I’ve seen he’s played well.

Chris Odom jumps offsides as Rodgers completes to Kendricks downfield.

Sheehy & Donnerson just executed the worlds ugliest stunt and both somehow got to the qb. Spriggs involved.

Marcus Porter with an important breakup as M. Lewis was open behind him for a big gain. Porter’s had a nice day.

Spriggs contains Gilbert this time and Oren Burks with a poor rep as he lets Bouagnon get a big gain on a checkdown.

Byrd with a really nice tough catch vs J Jones.

Boyle to Kumerow deep. Absolutely money for the play of the day. Goodson was tackling Kumerow and he still made the catch. Every damn day for those two.

Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
Follow Follow @SconnieSports
More
I don’t think Kizer’s going anywhere but I don’t think cutting him is out of the question.

The moves up in the 4th & 5th round on the trade chart were worth the equivalent of a top 5th rnd pick. So it was basically Randall for Kizer + a 5th. I’d argue Randall had 4th rnd value.

And let’s say you could swing Kizer for a 2019 7th rounder before cuts. A trade of Randall for the equivalent of a 2018 5th and a 2019 7th isn’t a horrible deal by any means if you wanted him off the team.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
https://theathletic.com/475494/2018/08/16/whats-it-like-to-play-defense-for-mike-you-so-crazy-pettine-some-of-his-former-rookies-tell-all/

The Athletic is pay site.  (I've only occasionally used it for football, but I love it for baseball.) 
But this is a really, really interesting article, in which a bunch of former Pettine players talk about playing for him, his defense, attitude, relationship with players, etc.  If you can read it, I think you'd like it. 
Note:  one of the things with Athletic stuff is that they don't have the space constraints, and can often dig deeper and longer into things.  I enjoyed this one. 

The length makes it somewhat worthless to summarize much, other than that the players interviewed loved the guy, loves the system, and felt like he both pushed guys hard to optimize their game, but also gave guys a lot of freedom. 

Other observation was that while the defense is supposedly learnable and stuff, all the guys interviewed who loved it tended to be smart guys who were probably able to use the freedom to good advantage.  So I sometimes wonder whether these kinds of articles aren't kinda pre-selected to take a certain lean? 

I'm not sure these pro-Pettine articles tend to contact a lot of the Marwin Evans + Josh Jones + Josh Hawkins + Donnerson type guys who maybe aren't as quick as decision-makers and maybe struggle to learn their own position much less other spots besides?   

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
Josh Jackson through 3 preseason games by my count

1 completion allowed
10 targets
8 yards
3 pass break ups
1 INT for a TD
A second INT for a TD negated by an unrelated penalty
2 penalties
4 tackles
1 missed tackle
0.0 QB rating allowed

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
Very nice!  Thanks, skcus.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
Josh Jackson through 3 preseason games by my count

1 completion allowed
10 targets
8 yards
3 pass break ups
1 INT for a TD
A second INT for a TD negated by an unrelated penalty
2 penalties
4 tackles
1 missed tackle
0.0 QB rating allowed

Great numbers thus far.  I expect some rookie mistakes by Jackson and Alex but you gotta like what youve seen so far.  Even King is only in his second year.  Great move by Gute to bring in Tramon Williams to help these kids.  A invaluable acquisition.