October 15, 2018, 07:34:38 AM

Author Topic: 53 Man Roster Prediction  (Read 5619 times)

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
53 Man Roster Prediction
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »
The beginning of training camp edition!

Offense: (25)

QB:  Rodgers, Kizer
RB:  Montgomery, Williams, Mays
FB:  Ripkowski
WR:  Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown
TE:  Graham, Lewis, Kendricks
OL:  Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy, Patrick, Madison

---

Defense: (25)

DL:  Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams
OLB:  Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Biegel, Gilbert, Odom
ILB:  Martinez, Ryan, Burks
CB:  King, Williams, Alexander, Jackson, House, Rollins, Pipkins
S:  Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones, Whitehead

---

Special Teams:  (3)

K:  Crosby
P:  Scott
LS:  Bradley   

---

Suspension:
Jones (RB)

---

Final Four In:  Rollins (CB), Pipkins (CB), St. Brown (WR), Odom (OLB)
Final Four Out:  Hawkins (CB), Evans (S), Bell (OL), Pankey (OL)

---

Some Notes: I feel most uncertain about the back end of the secondary, but I'm excited about the potential and looking forward to the competition.  I like Pipkins and Hawkins, but I doubt both make the team (though it's possible both do if House, whom I seem to like more than most, is cut).  I wonder if Rollins will see some time at safety, which--along with his contributions to special teams--would increase his chances to make the team; he's also a prime candidate to get cut given his underwhelming performances to date coupled with the recent achilles injury.  Speaking of special teams, I gave Whitehead the nod over Evans based on that in particular, but both could make the team, especially if Jones is used more as a hybrid ILB.  Given Jones's suspension, I think the Packers might use that opportunity to carry on all three rookie WRs and then cut and stash one on the PS come Week 3.  I also hope that Murphy and Spriggs together make Bell and Pankey expendable, but that's also a hope predicated on Bulaga being ready Week 1.  I'm guessing Hundley is traded, though keeping all three on the roster wouldn't shock me.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: 53 Man Roster Prediction
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:36:16 AM »
Hard to argue with most of your well thought out early predictions big ror.

Ryan's injury shakes things up at inside linebacker, perhaps (though to a lesser degree) does Brice's at safety.

One of my favorite times of year is watching the training camp battles for roster position
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
I concur with B.  You Ror took all the favorites.  Maybe just maybe we get a few surprises.  Lot of buzz on Kumerow.  Looked up his combine results.  6'4" guy runs a 4.55 40.  He's athletic enough.  Maybe he beats out Davis or one of the rooks.  Rodgers like him and that's pretty important.

Ryan is out so not sure what we are going to do there.  Also still looking for that 4th safety.  See you chose Whitehead.  Interesting choice.  Know idea who will claim that spot.  We might bring in a vet for both ILB and S.

Madison has missed a lot of time at this point not sure he will even show up for camp much less make the team.  We'll see who steps up and claims this spot.  Again maybe a Vet on cutdowns   Chia pet or Pankey?  Haven't forgot about Amichia.  Super athletic maybe he puts it together.

CB only debate is whether they go with House (who I have always liked) or decide to go young with either Hawkins or Waters. Should be interesting.  Not sure on Rollins either.  How is he bouncing back from the Achilles.  Maybe they move him to S.

Anyway pretty safe list.  Maybe a few guys step up and surprise.  Injuries during camp may also alter this list.  Should be fun to watch some of these battles and see who emerges. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:52:50 AM by scoremore »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
Don't look now, but Jake Kumerow is making a BIG statement for one of those WR spots.

List needs an adjustment to account for Ryan as well.

Otherwise.............. thumbsup)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
Kumerow is interesting, obviously not very fast and pretty low-ceiling guy.  26, only younger than Cobb (27). 

Maybe upside to be a Geronimo-type guy? 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
Kumerow is interesting, obviously not very fast and pretty low-ceiling guy.  26, only younger than Cobb (27). 

Maybe upside to be a Geronimo-type guy?

We will see what happens in the preseason games, but for now.....................

The results follow the surprising theme of Kumerow’s first seven practices.at camp. Veteran beat writer Bob McGinn believes Kumerow has been the “second or third best” receiver behind Davante Adams so far this summer.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/03/aaron-rodgers-wr-jake-kumerow-having-fantastic-camp/

As for his age?

This is his 4th year in the league. Signed as an udfa by CINCY in 2015. So I would expect him to be older than the other WR's beyond Adams & Cobb.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
He's older than Adams too. 

With the extra 3-5 years of experience, it's maybe no surprise that he knows route trees and is a little more NFL-savvy during the first week than Yancey, the rookies, or the punt-receiver. 

It may be that the rookies won't learn fast enough an won't be able to catch up. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:46:35 PM by craig »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow Follow @RobDemovsky
More
Marquez Valdes-Scantling had a drop. J'Mon Moore had a drop. Equanimeous St. Brown got stripped. Yet Jake Kumerow continues to catch everything thrown his way. As Aaron Rodgers said of Kumerow, "If you’re playing today, you’d like him on the field."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 05:30:43 PM »
A few thoughts on the possible final 53 man roster.

QB - I have felt since the trade for Kizer that the Packers would probably carry 3 QB's this year and nothing as of now has me thinking any different. Hundley is well ahead of Kizer at this time in carrying out the offense and game plan, should something happen to Rodgers. Add in the investment that was made in Kizer and he is not going anywhere except the 53 man roster either. As of now it looks like Rodgers, Hundley, Kizer to the 53 and Boyle to the PS.

WR - Is it out of the question that this year that the Packers carry 8 WR on the opening day roster? Listening to MM in the pre-game with Larry McCarren last night, MM hinted that this year the Packers roster could be heavy with WR's and CB's. The more I dig into this 90 man the more the depth at those two positions stands out. I easily could see 8 WR's with 3 TE's/FB's and 8 OLinemen.

ILB - Blake Martinez and Oren Burks are givens, how many after that if any. Could the Packers open with just two and maybe try to land Greer Martini and Ahmad Thomas on the PS, where they would be ready for call up if injury should strike someone.

The Packers in recent years have carried an unconventional number of players at different positions based on where the strength of the 90 man roster was on that given year and I expect this season to be the same. Well most people will debate who the 6th or 7th WR is and which one should be kept over the other, but maybe the debate should be 'is the 8th WR better than the 9th OL or 3rd ILB or 7th CB'.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
Follow Follow @SconnieSports

Agree 100% with Mike here. I don’t see anyone unseating Hundley for 2 and can’t imagine they give up on Kizer. Three QBs make the roster and GB will have a long cut down night to see if they can sneak Boyle on the p/s. (They probably can if he’s willing to sign back).

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
A thought on the current pecking order of the OL. With 3 weeks of preseason still ahead of them, their is much yet to be determined. As of today with reviewing game and practice reps I think we can get a good idea where things stand at this moment.

The starters are David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Corey Linsley, Lance Taylor and Justin McCray. These 5 are roster locks.

6.) Kyle Murphy, currently the top backup and probably a roster lock.
7.) Jason Spriggs, a lot of peoples whipping boy and the OLines number one underachiever, but still believe their is too much upside and the Packers are not ready to bail yet.
8.) Dillion Day, has quietly taken control of the number one interior line backup spot. Is a center first, but is proving he can handle the guard spots as well.
9.) Adam Pankey, has shown to be able to hold his own at guard and tackle if asked. With a year of seasoning he has seemed to have moved up the depth chart.
10.) Byran Bell, I believe he is just injury insurance for now and will be surprised if he makes the 53, barring injury to others. Don't be surprised if the Packers are able to get a late conditional draft pick for him at cut downs.
11.) Lucas Patrick, a solid backup last year who may get caught up in a numbers game this year. Is worthy of a opening day roster spot, if not in GB it will be somewhere.

At this time the others would seem to be PS types at best.   

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Good points on the O line RT.

Assuming the starting o line is Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, that's 5.
Add Pankey, Murphy and Patrick as backups.......that's 8.

Now comes the tough question. Regardless of where he was drafted, is Spriggs a better player than any of Pankey, Murphy, Patrick ? I know he is way ahead of them athletically - but is he a better PLAYER. If he is, he displaces one of the above, so the displaced player has to hope the Packers then keep 9 linemen (which allows him to stay on the roster).

As for Big Ror's original post, I think it is possible that Mbu (D line) is kept over Rollins (CBs reduced to 6, D line raised to 6), because I know Pettine like to rotate the big guys to keep them fresh and Mbu is a natural replacement for Clark. A third QB is very possible, but that makes it impossible to keep 7 receivers and 9 linemen.

As for the final secodary spot, I just don't know who takes it. Your 53 prediction looks close, to me, it's just those final choices of 8 or 9 linemen, 6 or 7 receivers, 2 or 3 QBs (I don't think they go more than 6 CBs unless they have only 3 listed safeties)

As for the late risers, I like that Greer Martini has been looking good as an ILB, along with Burks, it eases the loss of Ryan for the season. Also Dillon Day has been showing up. He could be in the mix for an interior lineman spot, though I think most likely he goes on the PS, because if he is still under 300lb, he needs to put on some weight.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:14:20 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
...is Spriggs a better player than any of Pankey, Murphy, Patrick ? I know he is way ahead of them athletically - but is he a better PLAYER. ...

This is probably a dumb "I wonder."  But sometimes we go back to combine measurables to evaluate a player's athleticism, years after the fact. (Because those benchmarks are never remeasuered or re-publicized. 

But after years of physical abuse, aging, and weight gains as guys bulk up, I have to believe the measurements change considerably. 

Do we sometimes make mistake in assuming a guy can add a bunch of weight and maintain the same athleticism?  Or is that kinda double counting?  "We love his athleticism measurables, PLUS we think he'll add size and strength."  When to some degree it's one against the other?  So that by the time you add the bulk to be NFL strong, then the athleticism that got you drafted high in the first place is kinda reduced? 

I've wondered this in baseball too.  Teenage draftee, "he's really fast, can play CF or SS, and we think he'll grow into some power."  But once the kid does grow into the power, then often he loses the speed and quickness and can't play CF or SS anymore.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 05:36:14 AM »
11.) Lucas Patrick, a solid backup last year who may get caught up in a numbers game this year. Is worthy of a opening day roster spot, if not in GB it will be somewhere.

I see him much higher and ahead of Day; he's gonna make the team.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »

I see him much higher and ahead of Day; he's gonna make the team.

Possibly, I just think that the Packers view Day and Patrick as fairly even and the fact that Day is a better pure center but yet can handle a guard spot if needed gives him a small edge over Patrick. Both will be on an opening day roster, the question yet to be answered is will it be the Packers roster. We will know that answer in a little over 2 weeks from now.