December 16, 2018, 01:16:49 AM

Author Topic: Brice/Ryan Injuries...  (Read 1435 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Brice/Ryan Injuries...
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
It's still too early to tell the severity, but Brice and Jake Ryan were both carted off during practice with leg injuries. Mike Daniels dropped out at one point too, but it looks like he made his way back later.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
Re: Brice/Ryan Injuries...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
It sounds like Ryan's is serious; many are speculating it's a torn ACL.  No info on Brice yet.

Regardless, I'd be thinking about giving a call to both Bowman and Reid.  Another opportunity to see how Gute reacts to a situation compared to White Buffalo.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
Yeah, it's early enough to get someone in and have them prepared for the opener.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
This report is very ominous. But, injuries happen. Better now than in game 14, while gearing up for a playoff run. Time to see if Burks or someone else can be that "next man up". And before saying it only happens to the PAckers, several other teams have lost players for the year at this point. It happens. Its tragic. Its why they get paid. But its still one really tough and nasty way to make a living. "...nasty, brutish and short" is the perfect description of most NFL "careers".

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/30/packers-lb-jake-ryan-described-as-devastated-after-knee-injury/

Brice is also an unknown, but may not be lost for the season. We'll see.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/packers-kentrell-brice-suffers-potentially-serious-leg-injury/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:55:21 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
It sounds like Ryan's is serious; many are speculating it's a torn ACL.  No info on Brice yet.

Regardless, I'd be thinking about giving a call to both Bowman and Reid.  Another opportunity to see how Gute reacts to a situation compared to White Buffalo.

Looks like Ryan is toast.  Tough break really sucks.  We didn't need that.  Upside is it's early in the process Gute will actively search for a replacement.  I like Ryan well enough but he's not a 3 down guy.  Gute should be able to replace him adequately.  Hoping Brice is OK we are also a little thin at S.  Sounds like he'll be fine but this will set him back a bit.  Hate to see guys go down like this.  Let's just hope no one else goes down. 

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »
Possibly losing Jake for the season is real unfortunate, he really helped in stopping the run. Better to throw the younger guys into the fold now than during the season though, part of me hopes this maybe forces Clay inside.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 08:06:24 AM »

Tweet

Ian Rapoport
    ‏Verified account @RapSheet
    22s23 seconds ago

#Packers coach Mike McCarthy said LB Jake Ryan is still undergoing tests, but a source said the fear is a serious knee injury. As for S Kentrell Brice, X-Rays were negative for a break, but he’ll know his timetable when the swelling goes down.

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »

Look's like he's "Being Ted".

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/31/packers-gm-preaches-patience-in-wake-of-injury-to-lb-jake-ryan/
Don’t expect the Green Bay Packers to immediately dip into the free agent market and sign a veteran linebacker to help replace Jake Ryan, who suffered a potentially season-ending injury during Monday’s training camp practice.

GM Brian Gutekunst said he learned patience in the face of difficult situations from former GM Ted Thompson, meaning he’ll likely sit back and evaluate some of the young players behind Ryan before making a move on an outsider.

I honestly don't see a lot of reason to knee-jerk and go sign a SFA before you get a chance to observe/digest what the others on your roster have to offer.

Pettine could use more 4-3 and 3-3 formations as a way to offset the loss of Ryan, who I wasn't 100% sure was guaranteed a roster spot anyway. He strong against the run and terrible against the pass. Opposing QB's could just audible to pass plays to RB's/TE's all day and torch him into oblivion. Plus, with the DL looking like it could be an elite unit, losing Ryan may open a roster spot for Lancaster or Mbu to further strengthen their ability to defend the run with more 3 and 4 man fronts.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
I really hope Brice is ready for the season. 

I like him as a safety.  He is both quick and fast and the guy can hit.  Plus he has some experience.

As per Ryan, I guess the first guy up is Burks.  And if he cannot cut it, Gute starts looking around.  Of course, the other option is moving CM 3 inside.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:41 PM »

I like him as a safety.  He is both quick and fast and the guy can hit.  Plus he has some experience.

As per Ryan, I guess the first guy up is Burks.  And if he cannot cut it, Gute starts looking around.  Of course, the other option is moving CM 3 inside.

If Ryan is indeed gone for the season, then getting a veteran replacement should be a priority. Get someone early so they can learn the defense and be ready for the season. If someone else on the team does well enough to make the coaches believe he can be the answer, fine. But having more experienced depth than less would be nice.

Some FA's. How many are still available? Good question. But if you see someone you recognize, check them out.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018ILB.php

And then there is this opinion: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/early-training-camp-injuries-will-provide-insight-into-brian-gutekunsts-team-building
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:44:30 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 07:36:08 AM »
Sad to see Ryan go down, but he was a JAG to me.  What's tough is relying on rookies or young .players to fill the void.  Hopefully Burks can step up
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:37:27 AM by The GM »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »

Gregg, I agree on Brice - love his upside.

CM3 playing inside on base and moving outside in nickle and dime packages holds a lot of possibility IMO. I think they have intriguing athletes to play the position in specialty packages - Burks (like you said having the most intriguing upside) Josh Jones,Quinten Rollins, Ahmad Thomas, Greer Martini, Naashon Hughes and Marcus Porter. All are are green as grass, but all have unique athletic skills. The coaching staff has their work cut out getting someone ready to fill this important role.

GM, early reports all noted that Ryan (already a tackling machine) looked liked he had come to OTA's looking sharper physically, mentally and intensity wise. Shame to see a young guy with upside go down at such a critical time.

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
Brice, who returned to practice today, dodged a bullet, Ryan on the other had saw his final season of his rookie contract end today when he was placed on the Packers injured reserve list.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »
Thanks Bruce, that's really excellent that Brice was able to return to practice so quickly.  Excellent for the team, and excellent for him too, this is a huge opportunity year for him with a starting spot there for the taking! 

Got a shot to play a lot of snaps.