October 15, 2018, 07:34:21 AM

Author Topic: Temper your expectations  (Read 679 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Temper your expectations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
Its a long season, once it starts. Right now, we're so starved for some "real football news" that overreaction is to be expected. We're all trying to be the first to see the next great player. The first to declare this guy or that guy as "making that jump". The first to see a trend, and be able to share your invaluable insights with everyone else. Of course, there are some who are always going to see the glass as half full; others see it as half empty; still others see the glass as overtuened, shattered and irreperably damaged. Just wait until the exhibition games begin, and guys facing third stringers make some big plays. Its all part of the process. And as long as no one takes it too seriously (it is just a game, after all), it should be a fun and intriguing season. My expectations are definitely the playoffs. And once there, who knows?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:04:25 AM »
Good posts.

Personally, I temper my expectations after the final tick of the clock on the final game of the post season. Greatness only comes from high standards and expectations. Trying to inoculate oneself from disappointment never made much sense to me. Football, like life, is an adventure with lots of twists and turns - enjoy the ride.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
Good posts.

Personally, I temper my expectations after the final tick of the clock on the final game of the post season. Greatness only comes from high standards and expectations. Trying to inoculate oneself from disappointment never made much sense to me. Football, like life, is an adventure with lots of twists and turns - enjoy the ride.

Couldn't agree more, B!

Up's and down's are what give flavor and meaning to everything. We all need to experience both sides of the equation.

Good to see you posting!   thumbsup)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »
My mama always said, Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.