December 16, 2018, 12:27:53 AM

Author Topic: New Orleans 1st rd pick - Put it to use now.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
New Orleans 1st rd pick - Put it to use now.
« on: August 02, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »
I'm not too impressed with our safety performance the last few years.  Burnett was highly over-rated and injury prone,
Clinton Dix took a huge step backwards last year.  Ever since Woodson left, we've lacked leadership on Defense.  Why not take the New Orleans first round pick we have and ship it to Seattle Earl Thomas.  At least make the contact and start at a second rd pick and see if they nibble.   Then we can will have some talent back there and some experience to help out our young DB's!

Offline Sancho746

• Starter
Re: New Orleans 1st rd pick - Put it to use now.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
I wouldn’t offer a 3rd, much less a late 1. Why buy Seattle’s problem?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
Thomas wants a monster contract extension, so I ask myself, #1) Who could the Packers miss out on in the 2019 draft by shipping that pick to SEA, and #2) Because of Thomas's likely monster contract extension, who else besides HHCD won't the Packers be able to give a contract extension to in 2019?

It, likely, would cost the Packers (in personnel) more than just giving away a 1st round 2019 draft pick.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
I was looking at next years draft candidates and where we draft compared to this years draft talent.  I would rate the 2018 draft class as a 9 with 10 being the highest.  I would rate the 2019 draft class a a 4.  Hence my sense of urgency to pick up a great talent that I would compare to Charles Woodson, yes he doesn't come free and neither did Charles.  This team needs to get aggressive otherwise we will be on the outs watching the super bowl without us being in it again!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
I get it! Win Now.............at all costs. No secret that the AR window isn't as wide open as it was 3-4-5 years ago. That's true, it's no secret.

But looking back at the 2018 draft helps no one .................

And the 2019 draft will have some real stud DL in the 1st round as well as good Edge Rushers. GB could need to add to both those positions if they can't keep either/or both of Mo-Wilk or CMIII.

From what I've read, so far, about TC, it seems that HHCD as well as the other Safties have been acclimating to Pettines system pretty well.
Will it continue? Only time will tell.

It's so early, I'm not ready to crawl out on a ledge to jump off.

HHCD, Brice, Josh Jones, Marwin Evans, Jerome Whitehead, Raven Green.........................let's see if Pettine can find two from this group that helps his defense without mortgaging the future.
 twocents)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
I would not for an instant consider trading that pick for an aging player who wants $$$$$. This is the path to cap hell.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:10:51 AM »
IMO Earl Thomas is overrated.   His M.O. is being a hitter, but he never uses his arms.  He is a headhunting missile.   I would wager a bet that he is either going to get killed, break his neck or at the very least be suspended.  No way would I pay big bucks for him.

More worried about ILB, especially is #50 goes down.

Keep that 1st at all cost for next year.   My second favorite team this year is whomever is playing the Saints.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
I'm not too impressed with our safety performance the last few years.  Burnett was highly over-rated and injury prone,
Clinton Dix took a huge step backwards last year.  Ever since Woodson left, we've lacked leadership on Defense.  Why not take the New Orleans first round pick we have and ship it to Seattle Earl Thomas.  At least make the contact and start at a second rd pick and see if they nibble.   Then we can will have some talent back there and some experience to help out our young DB's!

Bad idea.   He's in the middle of a contract dispute.  If the Pack could get the numbers worked out with him maybe a fourth.  First round picks are extremely valuable.  You just don't trade them away.  Our safeties could use a little help.  Really surprised the Pack didn't address it in either the Draft or FA.  We should be OK with Jones and Dix.  Hopefully Brice will bounce back.  Still need one more tho.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
Earl Thomas isn't overrated. He is a first-ballot HOFer.

But no.

Instead: just sign Reid. He solves two problems--safety and inside linebacker--he's three years younger, and he doesn't cost you a first (though I think you could get him for a second or third).
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »
Earl Thomas isn't overrated. He is a first-ballot HOFer.

But no.

Instead: just sign Reid. He solves two problems--safety and inside linebacker--he's three years younger, and he doesn't cost you a first (though I think you could get him for a second or third).

Reid is a FA.  Wouldn't cost us any compensation.  He is still on the street because of the anthem controversy.  No team wants the headache or publicity.  He's a real good player and the best option to fill our gap at S.  Whether the Pack would want to bring him in I don't know.  Team chemistry is important and the guy may be toxic.  Just speculating don't know the man.  It's why you don't mix politics and business.  Really bad idea.

It's a tough situation with Reid.  I'd put out some feelers and see where the guy's head is at.  If he was willing to just come in and focus on football great.  Kneeling for the Anthem wouldn't go over to well at Lambeau.  No problem with the cause.  Inner cities need help.  He would just need to be an advocate off the field not on it.  Then everything would be fine.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 03:02:20 AM »
Thje Packers will need a number of starter-quality players soon, so hang onto those picks with a car-crusher grip.

It's likely they move on from Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb after the 2018 season, two positions that need a starter, even before the losses of those two. They could also use an eventual starter-level guy at TE and OT.

If you think that starter-level guys come mostly from the first three rounds, we are already at 6 players, with four currently available in the 2019 draft's first three rounds.

I'm just hoping that one of the WRs picked this year can rise to starter-level and save us one pick. It's tough for any later WR pick (after first 2 rounds) to succeed as a starter, but at least several of our current young guys have size and speed going for them.
I've pretty much given up on Spriggs, he still looks too inconsistent in his 3rd year, so unless the unlikely happens, and either Murphy or Madison look like they could be a starter-level OT, we need to spend a pick there.
I signalled TE as a need because of the age of Graham and Lewis, the Pack need a young talented draftee there, to grow into a starter role.
At OLB, Biegel and Gilbert give hope for the future, if one of those two can be a starter and the other is good enough to be a keeper backup, that position suddenly looks much less dire.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:32 AM »
I started a thread in Draft Talk on this.

Thought it was better placed there.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »
Reid is a FA.  Wouldn't cost us any compensation.  He is still on the street because of the anthem controversy.  No team wants the headache or publicity.  He's a real good player and the best option to fill our gap at S.  Whether the Pack would want to bring him in I don't know.  Team chemistry is important and the guy may be toxic.  Just speculating don't know the man.  It's why you don't mix politics and business.  Really bad idea.

It's a tough situation with Reid.  I'd put out some feelers and see where the guy's head is at.  If he was willing to just come in and focus on football great.  Kneeling for the Anthem wouldn't go over to well at Lambeau.  No problem with the cause.  Inner cities need help.  He would just need to be an advocate off the field not on it.  Then everything would be fine.

I wish more people would recognize that you can't decouple politics from anything--sports, business, etc.  Politics are intersectional, and everything is political.  Sports and businesses are effected by politics, and both make decisions that speak to, reflect, and/or advocate for political ideologies and agendas.

Anyone who wants to suppress politics in sports--in particular, the political view of a player--simply wants to preserve the disenfranchising status quo and, more unfortunately, to silence those who are oppressed and preclude them from using their well earned platform to draw attention to the problems that affect marginalized communities.

Frankly, I was embarrassed that only three Packers took a knee last year.  I was especially disappointed with Rodgers, whose actions would carry more weight than almost any other player in the league.  What a colossally wasted opportunity.

If there is one NFL community that could benefit from attempting to understand better and empathize more with people of color, it's Green Bay.

Reid is a good player, but by all accounts, he's a better person.  I want that guy on my team every day, and the fact that he's still not signed is egregious.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »
I agree big ror

A five-year starter since the Niners picked him at No. 18 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft, Reid became a free agent when his contract expired in March.

Reid, a good man who puts his money and activism where his mouth is, told ESPN in March he didn't plan to protest during the anthem and he would "consider different ways to be active."

That should be more than enough to get a safety that has been a starter from day one of his rookie season - a season in which he made the
PFWA All-Rookie Team and the Pro Bowl.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »

I wish more people would recognize that you can't decouple politics from anything--sports, business, etc.  Politics are intersectional, and everything is political.  Sports and businesses are effected by politics, and both make decisions that speak to, reflect, and/or advocate for political ideologies and agendas.

Anyone who wants to suppress politics in sports--in particular, the political view of a player--simply wants to preserve the disenfranchising status quo and, more unfortunately, to silence those who are oppressed and preclude them from using their well earned platform to draw attention to the problems that affect marginalized communities.

Frankly, I was embarrassed that only three Packers took a knee last year.  I was especially disappointed with Rodgers, whose actions would carry more weight than almost any other player in the league.  What a colossally wasted opportunity.

If there is one NFL community that could benefit from attempting to understand better and empathize more with people of color, it's Green Bay.

Reid is a good player, but by all accounts, he's a better person.  I want that guy on my team every day, and the fact that he's still not signed is egregious.

With all due respect Ror.  On Sundays I want to watch football.  It's my one escape.  I am not interested in seeing political statements one way or the other.  Mixing business with politics is a real bad idea.  BAD!  You risk alienating customers.  The  country is divided so yes you are going to piss people off.  I get the message but they went about it the wrong way.  Inner cities need help.  Fine I get that.  Taking a knee for the anthem is disrespecting our country.  Not a good way to draw attention to the cause.  You can live in denial all you want but that pissed off a lot of people.  They went about it the wrong way. 

You want to fix the problem?  OK restore law and order first and foremost.  Improve the schools and set up enterprise zones.  Give these kids a safe environment in which to learn and better themselves.  40 people got shot and killed this weekend in Chicago.  What do you hear on the news?  Crickets.  How would you like to be a cop on the south side?  What about them?  Kneeling for the anthem great what the hell does that accomplish?  How offering some real solutions?  I haven't heard one player or social justice warrior offer concrete solutions.  Drawing attention but nothing comes of it.  Pissing people off and dividing them further.  Great.  Not very constructive if you ask me.