October 15, 2019, 01:26:56 AM

Author Topic: running backs  (Read 2325 times)

Offline #66

• HOF Member
Re: running backs
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
What I noticed about Henderson watching the film, he has balance. Just like Jones. That's what makes them good. They get him and can maintain their balance and course and adjust as necessary. This is something guys like Jamal William's, Brandon Jackson, and many recent Green Bay RBs haven't had.

An underrated trait for RBs. Just like QBs who have a big arm but can't read the field (there are always GMs who rate arm strength too highly and the fieldcraft not enough). It's like the RBs who run pretty well but can't block, they have limited use. you have to be at least good enough not to get run over when blocking for the pass.

IMO that's one of the things that all great running backs have I  common. They arent all the same size, they arent all the strongest, they arent all the fastest, but, they all have amazing balance when running the football.

Emmitt Smith is the first one that comes to mind.

Sanders, Smith, Tomlinson, Sayers, Brown, Pederson, Davis, Charles, etc. All had great balance.

Don't forget "Sweetness".

Oh i meant to add Payton to the list. My bad.
Dickerson and Campbell as well. Excellent point that balance is such a key trait for successful bruisers at RB to have. To somehow take, or deflect, the blow...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
Just read an article that the Packers should add a running back through either FA or draft.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/28/packers-should-add-a-rb-but-only-at-the-appropriate-cost/

Here's the current list of RB's on the Packers roster............
Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
Kapri Bibbs
Lavon Coleman
Malcom Johnson
Tra Carson

Clearly, with having 6 on the current roster, they don't intend to roll into next season with just Jones and Williams as the only RB's

I've been a proponent of Darrell Henderson/Memphis as he is another Aaron Jones body type and running style. But I am sure open to other options FA/Draft.

Should they go for a 230-235 lb bruiser/pounder, or another AJ type that can scat/catch and be a match up nightmare?

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
I kinda like Henderson and Justice Hill. Maybe add a good lead blocker/ short yardage fullback as well.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »
I kinda like Henderson and Justice Hill. Maybe add a good lead blocker/ short yardage fullback as well.

Packers already have Vitale on the roster. He's a FB/HB hybrid. Block/run/catch.  thumbsup)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:45 PM »
What I noticed about Henderson watching the film, he has balance. Just like Jones. That's what makes them good. They get him and can maintain their balance and course and adjust as necessary. This is something guys like Jamal William's, Brandon Jackson, and many recent Green Bay RBs haven't had.

An underrated trait for RBs. Just like QBs who have a big arm but can't read the field (there are always GMs who rate arm strength too highly and the fieldcraft not enough). It's like the RBs who run pretty well but can't block, they have limited use. you have to be at least good enough not to get run over when blocking for the pass.

IMO that's one of the things that all great running backs have I  common. They arent all the same size, they arent all the strongest, they arent all the fastest, but, they all have amazing balance when running the football.

Emmitt Smith is the first one that comes to mind.

Sanders, Smith, Tomlinson, Sayers, Brown, Pederson, Davis, Charles, etc. All had great balance.

Don't forget "Sweetness".

Oh i meant to add Payton to the list. My bad.
Dickerson and Campbell as well. Excellent point that balance is such a key trait for successful bruisers at RB to have. To somehow take, or deflect, the blow...

More good additions, and thank you for the acknowledgement.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 01:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the reminder db. I stand corrected.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 06:09:53 PM »
Bryce Love, Stanford, injured great back we can get in rds 3-5

Qadree Ollison, Pitttsburgh  (1,000 yd rusher, catches passes, destroys lbs in pass rush) another william Henderson, way off anyone's radar!!!  Likely a 6th rd pick

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
Bryce Love, round 4.  He rushed for over 2000 yds his junior year, got hurt his sr. year.  He can move in shortly while williams and jones carry the load.  Jones has had injury problems, so we need another horse back there with speed!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »
We need a RB that doesn't have an injury history like Love.

Great player. Fantastic speed. Versatile.

The knock against Aaron Jones has been staying healthy. Would Love be Jones 2.0?