September 25, 2018, 10:00:36 PM

Author Topic: Gute interested in Khalil Mack  (Read 5442 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Gute interested in Khalil Mack
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
Love Kahlil Mack....................don't love what he would cost, or the thought of losing other core Packers players we could not extend over the next 2-3 years if we traded for Mack.

The cost/benefit just doesn't work in GB's favor.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
Love Kahlil Mack....................don't love what he would cost, or the thought of losing other core Packers players we could not extend over the next 2-3 years if we traded for Mack.

The cost/benefit just doesn't work in GB's favor.

The Packers could make Mack fit in the salary cap structure with the loss of CMIII and Cobb. IF that was the tradeoff, would you sign Mack? Because I would. The question then becomes, how much do other players on the team ask for, and can they be retained? This is something that the Packers will be weighing as they consider this possible move. But the overwhelming feeling has to be that they need to push now to maximize the final years of Rodgers' greatness.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
And that's why I said........
"players we could not extend over the next 2-3 years if we traded for Mack."

Cobb and CM3 affect being able to afford Mack in 2018.

Mack affects being able to afford numerous "core" players in 2019-2020 and possibly beyond. Especially when you factor in what Rodgers may end up costing.

We would be talking about losing players like Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez, HHCD, Dean Lowry for 2019 and 2020.

"Beyond"? Bakhtiari, Linsley, Lane Taylor, Kevin King, Montravious Adams, Jamaal Williams, and Aaron Jones all come due in 2021.

Mack and Rodgers, together could be soaking up (north of) 30% of GB's salary cap in future years.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
So apparently no team can afford mack because they would have to give up something for him. Cobb is likely done soon anyway as they were debating between him and Nelson and were wanting him to take a pay cut. Moving Cobb and Perry frees up what, 20 mil+? And gets rid of two oft-injured players, one of which may not be back anyways. Matthew's is in the last year of his deal correct? So he is back at the negotiating table and maybe gone anyways after this. Perhaps ask Arod to take a little less to make a huge run at a couple superbowls. The options are plenty, and I see the super conservative nature of debate is still here on the forum.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
So apparently no team can afford mack because they would have to give up something for him. Cobb is likely done soon anyway as they were debating between him and Nelson and were wanting him to take a pay cut. Moving Cobb and Perry frees up what, 20 mil+? And gets rid of two oft-injured players, one of which may not be back anyways. Matthew's is in the last year of his deal correct? So he is back at the negotiating table and maybe gone anyways after this. Perhaps ask Arod to take a little less to make a huge run at a couple superbowls. The options are plenty, and I see the super conservative nature of debate is still here on the forum.
You gotta be smart with the personnel decisions like this.  20+mill and a couple #1s if thats what it takes is pretty costly. The kid blows out his knee and where is the franchise?  Good luck building around Rodgers in that scenario.  Im not saying its a bad deal to get Mack, Im just saying you have be smart in what you give up.  Mack is a great player but his sacks have gone down every year.  Im on the fence on this one.  It depends in the draft picks you have to give for me.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
And that's why I said........
"players we could not extend over the next 2-3 years if we traded for Mack."

Cobb and CM3 affect being able to afford Mack in 2018.

Mack affects being able to afford numerous "core" players in 2019-2020 and possibly beyond. Especially when you factor in what Rodgers may end up costing.

We would be talking about losing players like Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez, HHCD, Dean Lowry for 2019 and 2020.

"Beyond"? Bakhtiari, Linsley, Lane Taylor, Kevin King, Montravious Adams, Jamaal Williams, and Aaron Jones all come due in 2021.

Mack and Rodgers, together could be soaking up (north of) 30% of GB's salary cap in future years.

That is something the Packers would absolultely have to consider before they made a trade or inked a contract with Mack. Could the Packers swing this? Are they creative enough to retain the core players they really want? That is the question. You seem very doubtful. I am unsure, but will trust the Packers front office to make the right decision, for the present and the future of the franchise. 

Now, as far as Mack "blowing out his knee", sure, it could happen. To him; or Rodgers; or Daniels, Clark. Adams, Martinez, or any of the other players you listed as being unretainable for the Packers. I don't totally disagree with you. I just think the front office is also very aware of the costs involved, and will make an informed decision based on a cost/benefit analysis. Or maybe they'll flip a coin.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:28:56 PM by ricky »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »
Now, as far as Mack "blowing out his knee", sure, it could happen. To him; or Rodgers; or Daniels, Clark. Adams, Martinez, or any of the other players you listed as being unretainable for the Packers. I don't totally disagree with you. I just think the front office is also very aware of the costs involved, and will make an informed decision based on a cost/benefit analysis. Or maybe they'll flip a coin.  ::)

Uhhhh................ confused(

I think you're referring to someone else with this comment ricky.

I never said anything about Mack blowing out his knee.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Uhhhh................ confused(

I think you're referring to someone else with this comment ricky.

I never said anything about Mack blowing out his knee.

Sorry, that was The GM. Thanks for the correction.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
In reading a column on this issue, you have to wonder, if Mack is really on the market, then two teams who could really use him are the Colts and Bears.

Plus those two teams have a lot more CAP space than we do.  I mean the Colts have more than any team except the Browns.  Mack could really help them.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
In reading a column on this issue, you have to wonder, if Mack is really on the market, then two teams who could really use him are the Colts and Bears.

Plus those two teams have a lot more CAP space than we do.  I mean the Colts have more than any team except the Browns.  Mack could really help them.

Its not so much a matter of cap space. Its a matter of what a team can offer for Mack. The Packers have two #1 picks next year. No other team could beat that offer for an immediate return on the trade.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
Ricky:

Ever hear of the Jimmy Johnson draft order by value points?

IMO, the Bears and Colts will be in the top third of that list.

I doubt we will.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:10 AM »
I see it reported that the Raiders have no intentions of parting ways with Mack.

So, maybe we can put this to bed and get back to Packer football.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
I see it reported that the Raiders have no intentions of parting ways with Mack.

This wont go away until Mack is resigned or traded.  It may settle down as the season gets underway but it will heat up again as the trade deadline approaches if it hasnt been resolved by then.  This will be a back story  as the season progresses and rumors about many teams will be out there as long as he isnt reporting to the Raiders.

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 02:27:03 PM »

This wont go away until Mack is resigned or traded.  It may settle down as the season gets underway but it will heat up again as the trade deadline approaches if it hasnt been resolved by then.  This will be a back story  as the season progresses and rumors about many teams will be out there as long as he isnt reporting to the Raiders.
Well it has been reported that Mack is on the trading block and the Packers have interest. Cobb is also on the trading block, they are trying to extend/restructure Clay's contract and Rodgers hasn't been signed yet? Are these all a weird coincidence, or is Gute actually trying to pull this blockbuster off? Right now, I'm thinking the latter.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 03:03:44 PM »

Well it has been reported that Mack is on the trading block and the Packers have interest. Cobb is also on the trading block, they are trying to extend/restructure Clay's contract and Rodgers hasn't been signed yet? Are these all a weird coincidence, or is Gute actually trying to pull this blockbuster off? Right now, I'm thinking the latter.

Gute would be foolish not to at least explore this.  A lot has to happen and its my guess its unlikely to happen.  I'd never say never though.