October 22, 2018, 07:52:15 PM

Author Topic: Gute interested in Khalil Mack  (Read 5574 times)

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
Gute interested in Khalil Mack
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »
Michael Cohen
‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13
20m20 minutes ago

Gutekunst asked about pass rusher Khalil Mack. Says he would call #Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie regardless of whether Mack is available — because they're friends — and then reiterates he's open to conversations with teams. Doesn't say anything about Mack specifically. #Packers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:24:13 PM by marklawrence »
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Gute interested in Khail Mack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »
Due diligence. Mack is going to want a monster contract. And he is worth it. Now, if the Packers can start by applying the $10 million/year that CMIII is currently pulling in, they'd have a good start on getting Mack. Add in the money from Wilkerson that would be freed up next year, and Mack is now officially affordable. But, then again, this is all pie-in-the-sky dreaming. Though the Packers do have a need a LBer, and they do have two #1's for next year. But again, this is just speculation. Would Oakland really let their (arguably) best player leave? But then again, three #1 draft choices next year would be pretty sweet. OK, time to stop, before I hyperventilate.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Gute interested in Khalil Mack
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
Whew yes saw this across the Packers news feed.  Always fun to speculate about getting the best pass rusher in the league.  Cost would be enormous doubt anything comes of it.  Would be as big as Reggie coming to GB.  It probably would take both 1st's and a buttload of cash. 

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »

Gute already proving that he’s not following TT's template, to be honest I'm not surprised by any moves he makes.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
They would save a ton of money getting rid of perry who has produced nothing in three years.  One of the Oakland beat reporters indicated Mack will be traded for the right price.  I'm also interested in Earl Thomas, but if they can get Mack at a decent Price, NO 1st rd pick, I'm ok.
By the way, next years draft is not that good!

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
They would save a ton of money getting rid of perry who has produced nothing in three years.  One of the Oakland beat reporters indicated Mack will be traded for the right price.  I'm also interested in Earl Thomas, but if they can get Mack at a decent Price, NO 1st rd pick, I'm ok.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Wonder what it would take to get him under contract.  20 mil/yr?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 06:54:46 AM »

Perry is a good player, and far from one who has produced nothing in three years. Yes, he gets injured too often, but he can play.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Wonder what it would take to get him under contract.  20 mil/yr?

That of course would be the "elephant in the room". I'm very interested in seeing what Aaron Donald gets paid. Not the initial overinflated/hype pay, but the actual, contract details that will tell the tale. Mack is definitely a top 5-10 defensive player. This could have a similar impact of the Packers signing Reggie White. But, if he does want $20 million/year, that is low end QB money. For a defensive player. And I'm not sure exactly what he wants, but apparently its a lot. Because he is scheduled to make $13.8 million this year. If he truly wants to make only $2 million per year less than Rodgers (at this time), he needs to be given a wake-up call. A lot of NFL players are looking at what is happening in MLB and NBA and going, "Why not us?" Though the number of games and the number of players vying for spots on the team are dissimilar, so are the career ending injuries, and the strong possibility of never being physically or mentally the same for the rest of your life.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
They would save a ton of money getting rid of perry who has produced nothing in three years.

facepalm)

crazy)

hysterical

hatsoff)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
Great player, but way too costly in picks and salary.    I'd consider a #1 and another lower pick, but the 2 #1's is too rich for me.    I'm sure other teams will come up with better offers if Oakland decides to trade him. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
Could the Packers afford to sign Mack? Yes. An almost straight up swap for CMIII as far as salary cap consequences for this year. After that? Sure, but giving two guys (Mack and AR) a large hunk of the salary cap would be a pretty tight rope to traverse. Anyway, here is an article breaking down what could be done. Some more complicated, some much easier. There is even a scenario where Perry is shipped to Oakland, which would make Packer Joe's day!

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/affording-khalil-mack-a-packers-financials-deep-dive-103

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:24 PM »
Could the Packers afford to sign Mack? Yes. An almost straight up swap for CMIII as far as salary cap consequences for this year. After that? Sure, but giving two guys (Mack and AR) a large hunk of the salary cap would be a pretty tight rope to traverse. Anyway, here is an article breaking down what could be done. Some more complicated, some much easier. There is even a scenario where Perry is shipped to Oakland, which would make Packer Joe's day!

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/affording-khalil-mack-a-packers-financials-deep-dive-103

I just can't see that trade of Perry as realistic.  Mack wants 20 million per year or more, which means that in 2019 the Packers would eat over 31 million between the Mack salary and the Perry dead money- Just to get Mack, who has fewer sacks over the last 3 years than Chandler Jones in Arizona.

Mack is good- I get that.  I just don't think he is that good. 
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »
I'm willing to give up a 2nd or 1st rd pick for Mack.  I would offer him a four year deal at 14 mil/yr.  Might go a little higher.  We have too many leaks on the payroll (Rollins, Perry, Hundley, Josh Jones, etc.) who are getting paid well and producing zilch for the last three years.  Mack, Wilkerson, Clark, Mathews and Daniels would be highly formidable as both run stoppers and pass rushers.

With the addition of Lewis and Graham at Tight end and the development of Allison and the rookie wr's, in my book Cobb can go!

Cobb and perry to Oakland plus a 3rd rd pick for Mack.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
Mack is a really good player.

But if he is holding out at a guaranteed 13.4 million, that means he must really want a ton.

We just signed a tight end at ten million.  Adams got more than that.  Then we have AR, CM 3, Daniels, and Perry.

I agree with the others: to sign Mack it has to be a trade of Perry, Cobb and a draft pick for him.  We have to unload salary.  And play him at his natural position, which I think is OLB.  With him and CM 3 blitzing from the outside, its bombs away.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm willing to give up a 2nd or 1st rd pick for Mack.  I would offer him a four year deal at 14 mil/yr.  Might go a little higher.  We have too many leaks on the payroll (Rollins, Perry, Hundley, Josh Jones, etc.) who are getting paid well and producing zilch for the last three years.  Mack, Wilkerson, Clark, Mathews and Daniels would be highly formidable as both run stoppers and pass rushers.

With the addition of Lewis and Graham at Tight end and the development of Allison and the rookie wr's, in my book Cobb can go!

Cobb and perry to Oakland plus a 3rd rd pick for Mack.
[/quote

This is not realistic in any sense. Mack wants somewhere around $20/$22 million a year. He has already made it clear that his salary for this year, $13.4 million, is not acceptable. If you want to pay him $14/$15 million a year, stop thinking about signing him, because he won't take it. As far as trading Cobb and Perry to Oakland and a third to Oakland fo Mack, why would they take that? Cobb is a FA next year, who is making $12.7 million this year. Perry is going to make $10.7 milllion this year, but the next three years, his salary goes up to over $14 million/year. If he is such a terrible player who is always hurt, why should Oakland take this contract/player off the Packers hands for a player who is an All Pro and has never missed a game?

So, a FA next year and a terrible, often injured overpaid (in your opinion) player and a third round pick for a rising All Pro? And then, for some reason, this guy is going to take a lot less than he has indicated he wants (about $14 million/year rather than over $20 million/year)? Does this even work on Madden? Because in the real world, it makes no sense whatsover.

Perry's contract deteails: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/