November 19, 2018, 10:33:57 AM

Author Topic: Stacked at wr, is it time to trade Allison?  (Read 3460 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Stacked at wr, is it time to trade Allison?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
I don't see much chance of Allison not being on the final 53, not this year with so many rookies filling the later spots.. More at risk (imo) is Davis.

My current guesses at the final receivers after cutdown would be (at this time)

5 receivers) Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, Valdes-Scantling
6 receivers) Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St.Brown
7 receivers) Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St.Brown and a tossup between Davis/Yancey and Kumerow
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
Is it time to trade Allison?  No. 

Even if the Packers didn't have use for him, it's not like he'd be bringing back a high-round pick.  His trade value would be limited.

2nd, the Packers do have big use for him, this year.  He's a capable, long-armed, good-hands guy who knows the system.  Excellent fit as a low-cost 3rd guy.  With Allison in place, the young guys have time to figure things out and learn-and-earn their way up to more playing time.  Next year is a different discussion, after those others have had a chance to potentially bypass Allison.  Hopefully they'll come along so quickly and look so talented that they'll bypass him quickly this year already.  (Like Matthews bypassing Brady Popinga, or rookie Adams bypassing Boykin.) But having him there as at least a placeholder for now is perfect. 

I also admit I think he might be undervalued as a player by many Packer fans.  Even my paragraph, talking about hoping he's bypassed, using term like "placeholder", has a negative spin.  Think there's a good chance that he's going to be a really productive player this year, catch a lot of passes and rack up a lot of yards.  Obviously he'll never have stretch-the-field #1/#2 speed.  But he may well be a very capable #3/#4 guy for this year and perhaps beyond, who is a perfectly suitable complementary player to Adams, Graham, and Cobb. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
Allison is more valuable to the Packers than any draft pick they would get for him.  He might fetch a late round pick and even that is a reach.  Rodgers seems to like him, and many if these rookies are just that, rookies.  You dont know how they will do when the bullets start flying.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
I don't see much chance of Allison not being on the final 53, not this year with so many rookies filling the later spots.. More at risk (imo) is Davis.

7 receivers) Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St.Brown and a tossup between Davis/Yancey and Kumerow

Davis is this years version of Janis. Barring a total meltdown on his part he is a lock to make the 53.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Davis is this years version of Janis. Barring a total meltdown on his part he is a lock to make the 53.

I'm looking to see if there are signs that Valdes-Scantling is taking over the return duty from Davis this year. If that is viable, Davis is in serious risk of being cut.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:45 AM »
Trade Allison? Possible but doubtful. This would only happen if Gute and MM are 100% convinced that one of the others are fully capable of functioning in the offense as reliably as Allison does. I have never been a big fan of Allison because he is and always will be nothing more than a marginal player. With that said, he can be a reliable 3rd or 4th WR in the Packers offense.

As for trade value, he has a little. Most likely a conditional 7th that could turn into a 6th based on production. Probably worth more to the Packers.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
It would be so good if the Packers could dump Allison. Watching him plod around at WR is brutal for the Packers offense. It's just like it was watching Gunter trying to "run" in an NFL secondary- it's painful.

Allison had something like 105 yards receiving the last thirteen games with one( that's right, 1!) catch over ten yards. He's just so slow and stiff he can't get open in a normal NFL play. He's had some success in scramble plays and has always known the offense, but he cripples the offense with his extreme slowness.

On the other end of the spectrum is Trevor Davis. The guy can run, but I guess he can't get the finer points of playing WR in the NFL down. Something that Allison has nailed from day one... To point out the difference Davis's speed makes, we only have the first half of game 16 against Detroit to by. He was in the WR rotation in the first half and opened up the defense. The defense was chasing the whole half and had a couple big plays. I think he had a 30-yard and a 20-yard reception in the first half of that game.

But, Rodgers needs to trust his WR's. With the three rookies doing rookie stuff, he really needs to trust all the other WR's.  That means Allison will be a Packer in 2018... Dang!

Oh well... It would help the offense so much to have the 3rd WR blow the top off for Adams, Cobb and Graham. Hopefully one of the rookies can take Allison's spot as the 3rd WR sooner rather than later.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »

I'm looking to see if there are signs that Valdes-Scantling is taking over the return duty from Davis this year. If that is viable, Davis is in serious risk of being cut.

They have had MVS fielding KO's in training camp and tested him in the first preseason game there, but I am unaware of MVS ever fielding a punt in training camp or in college...ever. The one knock on him is his hands, probably the last thing they want to see from the guy fielding punts. MVS returning punts, just not happening.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »

Moore has been the worst performer of them all during TC and the first game. Kumerow is absolutely killing it. Allison is too slow, no matter how well he knows the offense, he just doesn't help that much. I'd like to see Adam's, Cobb, MVS, St Brown, and Kumerow. Moore to the PS.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

Moore has been the worst performer of them all during TC and the first game. Kumerow is absolutely killing it. Allison is too slow, no matter how well he knows the offense, he just doesn't help that much. I'd like to see Adam's, Cobb, MVS, St Brown, and Kumerow. Moore to the PS.

There is still some time and a lot can change in the coming weeks.  Moore could be the star this week?   An injury could change things too.  It's important for these guys to take maximum advantage of every single opportunity they are given. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:53:58 AM by The GM »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »

There is still some time and a lot can change in the coming weeks.  Moore could be the star this week?   An injury could change things too.  It's important for these guys to take maximum advantage of every single opportunity they are given.
thumbsup) thumbsup) thumbsup)  :)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

They have had MVS fielding KO's in training camp and tested him in the first preseason game there, but I am unaware of MVS ever fielding a punt in training camp or in college...ever. The one knock on him is his hands, probably the last thing they want to see from the guy fielding punts. MVS returning punts, just not happening.

I don't disagree, I'm just casting around looking for an alternative to a guy whose only real talent is as a return man, because the pressure to keep lots of young receivers is weighty.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
Ill trade Cobb and his 10 mil plus salary before I trade Allison.  This years WR's rookies seem damn good!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Don't discount Allison's ability from the slot. It may be Cobb's best (preferred) position, but Allison may give him a run for the slot starting spot.

Last year he was a wrecking ball (almost exclusively out of the slot) in the win against CINCY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1LwJeIrGM

Just something to chew on a little bit.