September 25, 2018, 09:24:27 PM

Author Topic: Stacked at wr, is it time to trade Allison?  (Read 3147 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Stacked at wr, is it time to trade Allison?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:06:25 AM »

There is still some time and a lot can change in the coming weeks.  Moore could be the star this week?   An injury could change things too.  It's important for these guys to take maximum advantage of every single opportunity they are given.
thumbsup) thumbsup) thumbsup)  :)

We are using data we have vs what we hope might happen. The training camp updates indicated moore had a drop problem. And on day they mentioned the same thing. It's still there. So if we are talking at this moment, moore is the poorest performer to this point.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
Don't discount Allison's ability from the slot. It may be Cobb's best (preferred) position, but Allison may give him a run for the slot starting spot.

Last year he was a wrecking ball (almost exclusively out of the slot) in the win against CINCY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1LwJeIrGM

Just something to chew on a little bit.
Helpful point, thanks for mentioning that.  Yeah, if Cobb were to get hurt, moving Allison into slot might bake a lot of sense, and then open up the outside spot for one of the more dangeous deep threats.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »
Don't discount Allison's ability from the slot. It may be Cobb's best (preferred) position, but Allison may give him a run for the slot starting spot.

Last year he was a wrecking ball (almost exclusively out of the slot) in the win against CINCY.

Interesting.... Wondering, what did Allison do the next 13 games?... Also, in the Cincy game, I think 70 yards came on a broken play. And, by wrecking ball, do you mean slow and stationary?... If yes, then I agree.

All in all, I like Allison. Gotta respect his professionalism... BUT, his FB level speed cripples the offense. Just like Gunter' MLB speed crippled the secondary.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »

Interesting.... Wondering, what did Allison do the next 13 games?... Also, in the Cincy game, I think 70 yards came on a broken play. And, by wrecking ball, do you mean slow and stationary?... If yes, then I agree.

All in all, I like Allison. Gotta respect his professionalism... BUT, his FB level speed cripples the offense. Just like Gunter' MLB speed crippled the secondary.

That's why I suggest that he's a better fit playing the slot.

He doesn't have the speed to play a boundary WR, but his size playing the slot would make for frequent mismatches.

Numerous WR's have had great success moving to the slot from a #!/#2 spot as they got older and lost speed. Others, who have had success in the slot, were guys they put there just because they weren't boundary fast to start with. And some were just too small to play the boundary, where big physical DB's would man handle them.

https://www.theringer.com/2016/8/2/16038808/slot-receivers-golden-age-larry-fitzgerald-doug-baldwin-nfl-dc6befb3c82d

Five years ago, if you were a slot receiver, you were a niche player. Sure, Wes Welker caught 80 more passes than anyone else in the NFL from 2007 to 2012, but he was the apex of an archetype: the small wideout who couldn’t hack it on the outside.

Fast-forward to today, and the old slot receiver prototype no longer exists. They can be smaller, quicker guys like Julian Edelman, Doug Baldwin, or Randall Cobb. They can be taller guys like Marques Colston or Jordan Matthews. They can be physical guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Eric Decker, or Anquan Boldin. Or they can be anything in between. Whatever they look like, they’re more prevalent than ever.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »

C'mon Donzo. You like Allison about as much as you like having piles.............but like piles, you'll have to endure it (at least for 2018). Experience and professionalism at a position where they are very likely have three (or even four) absolute rookies, is an absolute requirement. He can catch, too. Did you see that low pass he snagged, in the first preseason game, dude's a baller. If you are looking to dump a third year guy, I'd say Davis was more at risk, since they can find alternatives to him as a PR.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
I wonder if Allison's role really will increase much from last year. If the one drive Rodgers played is a reflection of things to come, Graham will be the 3rd WR and Kendricks/Lewis will play the part of the conventional TE.  If this is the coaching staff's vision it will make Allison very expendable. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Stay tuned, it's getting interesting.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
The Ringer's Mike Lombardi reported on his GM Street podcast (h/t Rotoworld), Green Bay has explored the trade market for Randall Cobb: "I know his name's being shopped around."

That is a very reliable source. If they don't trade him, would they outright cut him?

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »
No possibility of him being cut IMO

Other equally good sources have it that teams have been calling, but the Packers have not shown any interest in making that trade.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 05:56:26 AM »
Heard that too, B.

One thought (that I read) alluded to, the only reason the Packers might give serious thought to moving Cobb would be if it became a real possibility to acquire Mack. Which is a really really long shot.

But, it is something to note that teams have been inquiring about Randall.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »
I like Cobb, but he is JAG.  I believe the Packers have tried to shop him and his contract.  I dont believe teams  have any serious interest in that contract.  Sounds to me like the Packer leaked tbe interest in Cobb after they shopped him and got little interest.  JMO.

I like Cobb, and he is capable of the occasional good game.  Hes a good guy and teammate, but that contract is tough to sell. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 05:28:19 AM »
Not sure where you set your bar for just a guy, but it must be fairly high. Cobb caught 91 pass for over 1200 yards and 12 TD's and was a Pro Bowl player. Guessing that your scale for JAG in the NFL is 90% of all players are JAG.

Every fanbase does it, a player catches 90 passes making a million a year and he is a hero. He gets a 2nd contract at market value making 10 million a year and he is supposed to catch 900 passes and score a TD on every play. When he doesn't the fanbase turns on him and he is a bum, need to get rid of him, he is just a guy.

Most fans really are JAI's (just an idiot). 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »
Not sure where you set your bar for just a guy, but it must be fairly high. Cobb caught 91 pass for over 1200 yards and 12 TD's and was a Pro Bowl player. Guessing that your scale for JAG in the NFL is 90% of all players are JAG.

Every fanbase does it, a player catches 90 passes making a million a year and he is a hero. He gets a 2nd contract at market value making 10 million a year and he is supposed to catch 900 passes and score a TD on every play. When he doesn't the fanbase turns on him and he is a bum, need to get rid of him, he is just a guy.

Cobb put those numbers up in 2014, that was 4 years ago.  His stats in nearly every category has gone down every year since.  Catches, YPC, longest catch.  TDs have been 6,4,4.  Its 2018, not 2014.   Cobbs last year with Rodgers in 2016 was:

REC 60 YRDS 610 AVE 10.2 LNG 47 TD 4.

These number are with one of the greatest QBs of all time, if not the best.  A player who makes his WRs look much better than they are.  With the help of Rodgers, Cobb was a Pro Bowler years ago, clearly he isnt what he once was.  Gute was reportedly shopping Cobb and that contract.  Why? clearly he must be an idiot to even consider it??

I like Randall Cobb as much as the next guy,  but you can produce those dwindling numbers or at least come close at a fraction of the cost.  Gute shopping him speaks volumes to this.   I wouldn't get rid of Cobb just to get rid of him, It would have to be to get another piece of the puzzle.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:50:03 AM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

Cobb put those numbers up in 2014, that was 4 years ago.  His stats in nearly every category has gone down every year since.  Catches, YPC, longest catch.  TDs have been 6,4,4.  Its 2018, not 2014.   Cobbs last year with Rodgers in 2016 was:

These number are with one of the greatest QBs of all time, if not the best.  A player who makes his WRs look much better than they are.  With the help of Rodgers, Cobb was a Pro Bowler years ago, clearly he isnt what he once was.  Gute was reportedly shopping Cobb and that contract.  Why? clearly he must be an idiot to even consider it??

I like Randall Cobb as much as the next guy,  but you can produce those dwindling numbers or at least come close at a fraction of the cost.  Gute shopping him speaks volumes to this.   I wouldn't get rid of Cobb just to get rid of him, It would have to be to get another piece of the puzzle.

This is just an attempt to spin by tying yourself to Gute and claiming he must be an idiot for shopping Cobb. Because Gute may like what he sees in the long term upside of the current young WR's and has put out feelers to gauge the interest in Cobb has nothing to do with your claim of Cobb being a JAG. Cobb may or may not be on the roster in 8 days and what ever management feels is the correct decision I am 100% behind them, but that does not have anything to do with the idiocy of the proclamation that he is JAG.   

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »

This is just an attempt to spin by tying yourself to Gute and claiming he must be an idiot for shopping Cobb. Because Gute may like what he sees in the long term upside of the current young WR's and has put out feelers to gauge the interest in Cobb has nothing to do with your claim of Cobb being a JAG. Cobb may or may not be on the roster in 8 days and what ever management feels is the correct decision I am 100% behind them, but that does not have anything to do with the idiocy of the proclamation that he is JAG.

If you want to propel Cobb into something more than he is,  that's up to you.    I hope he has a great season, as I'm sure you do too.