November 20, 2018, 03:57:15 PM

Author Topic: Why Bobby Dillon Deserves to be Considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame  (Read 298 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
Why Bobby Dillon Deserves to be Considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

By Bob Fox

Anyone who has read my work over the years, know that I  was on a crusade to get Jerry Kramer his rightful place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Now that goal has been accomplished (thanks to the efforts of many), the Green Bay Packers now have 25 individuals who have busts in Canton.

That number is second to only the Chicago Bears, who have 28 individuals who were honored to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Now da Bears have a rich history no doubt, but so do the Packers. In fact, Green Bay has won 13 NFL titles (including four Super Bowls) since they have been in the NFL (1921), while Chicago has won nine NFL championships (including one Super Bowl) since they have been in the NFL (1920).

I believe there are many more deserving individuals of the Packers who merit a bust in Canton and this article is the first of a multi-part series of stories which will chronicle those people.

I told Rick Gosselin (Pro Football Hall of Fame voter and a member of the Seniors Selection Committee) that I would be writing this material yesterday. Gosselin told me to make sure that Ron Kramer, Boyd Dowler and Gale Gillingham were among the players who I would list.

I told Rick that those three will indeed be included in my list of names who deserve consideration for a place in Canton.

But today’s piece is about defensive back Bobby Dillon.

Dillon was drafted in 1952 by the Packers and their phenomenal scout Jack Vainisi. No. 44 was part of a draft class which included quarterback Babe Parilli, wide receiver Billy Howton and defensive tackle Dave “Hawg” Hanner.

Unfortunately for Dillon and his comrades on the Packers, the decade of the 1950s turned out to be the worst decade that Green Bay ever had record-wise. The Packers were 39-79-2 in that decade, which equates to a .331 winning percentage.

Dillon played from 1952 through 1959 and the only year Dillon played with a Green Bay team with a winning record was his last year with the Packers, which also was Vince Lombardi’s first season in what later became “Titletown.”

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/08/19/green-bay-packers-why-bobby-dillon-deserves-to-be-considered-for-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame/

Online The GM

• HOF Member
In todays HOF nominations with GMs  Ron Wolf,  Bobby Beathard, and the guy from Buffalo and Indy. Gil Brandt should be in as well.  My nominee would be the guy you mentioned in your post, Jack Vainisi.  The HOFers he scouted speaks for themselves, and he was vital in getting Lombardi to Green Bay.  Id puy him up there with any of those Scouts/GMs already in the HOF.

Years ago someone asked Ron Wolf what Packer should be in the HOF that wasnt?  His answer was Bobby Dillion.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:19:33 PM by The GM »