November 20, 2018, 03:23:44 PM

Author Topic: Pre cutdown trades  (Read 1027 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Pre cutdown trades
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
The minor trades will be many in the next 9 days and thought I would start a place for people track some of them if they like.

Desperate for pass rush help, the Detroit Lions are trading for San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker Eli Harold.

Harold started 25 games over three seasons in San Francisco, registering five sacks. He had two sacks in 11 starts while playing in all 16 games last season. Harold was the team’s third-round pick out of Virginia in 2015.

Kyle Meinke

@kmeinke
Follow Follow @kmeinke
More
The Lions are trading for San Francisco OLB Eli Harold, per source. Giving up a conditional seventh-round pick in 2020 in return.

That is dirt cheap price for a contributor.

Interesting side note here is that Harold was a anthem kneeler, did that hurt his trade value?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Pre cutdown trades
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
The Lions are the only team that has not recorded a sack during the exhibition season. Also, apparently other teams are interested in trading for Cobb, but the Packers are not listening. Though with him being a FA next year, if he has a good season this year, he will probably be gone in FA, unless the Packers overpay him (again).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/22/report-randall-cobb-not-on-trade-block-though-teams-have-inquired/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
Not a trade, but an interesting transaction. The Raiders cut Obi Melifonwu who was their 2nd round pick last year and the safety selected ahead of the Packers selecting safety Josh Jones.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
Losing Cobb in FA would likely net us a 4th, which, given his salary demands after a trade, may well be more than we can get from him in a trade.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »
Losing Cobb in FA would likely net us a 4th, which, given his salary demands after a trade, may well be more than we can get from him in a trade.

That is a good point and one few fans take into consideration when trading veteran players. This is a game within the game that the Patriots have played very well over the years. That is why it would not surprise me to see the Patriots as a landing spot for Cobb if he is traded.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 12:14:16 PM »
What will be interesting is what happens to the bottom of NFL rosters once the final cuts are made. It used to be incremental cutdowns; now, it will be from 90 to 53 and up to ten (!) on the practice squad. So, even if every team 864 team uses the maximum number of practice squad slots, there will still be 864 players available for all the teams to sift through after they have settled their rosters and PS. There should be a fair amount of roster churning the first few weeks in particular.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
Kamalei Correa   
Kamalei Correa, ILB
Traded to Tennessee (TEN) from Baltimore (BAL) for future considerations.

Found this trade interesting, Correa was the 42nd overall selection in the 2016 draft by the Ravens and they have already given up on him. This made me go back and look at the 2016 draft as a whole and like every class there are some interesting wins and loses with draft picks. First thing that struck me was that of the 2016 2nd round picks that about half already are complete busts, either completely out of the league or scrambling with another team to hopefully hang on to an end of the roster spot. This is not unusual, the fact is that is about the normal for drafts year in, year out. The later the rounds go the high that attrition rates go.

If they were to re-draft the 2016 class today I would say the Packers did alright. Kenny Clark would probably be a top 10 pick and Blake Martinez would probably be a 2nd rounder. Bill Polian said once that if you get 2 starting players worth a second contract from a draft, it is a successful draft. I think as of now the Packers got 2 players worth a second contract.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
Lowry is knocking on the door of a 2nd contract, as well.

Especially if he continues to show he's an asset.

He'll never be all-pro, but if he likes it in GB (and all indications are that he does), a middling 2nd contract for a blue-collar lunch pail type guy should not be out of the question.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
Saints acquired QB Teddy Bridgewater and a 2019 sixth-round pick from the Jets in exchange for a 2019 third-round pick.