September 25, 2018, 10:31:46 PM

Author Topic: Gute isnt getting Mack, the bears did.  (Read 1188 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Gute isnt getting Mack, the bears did.
« on: September 01, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »
Khalil Mack to the bears, via bleacherreport. The division just got a little harder for the packers.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
Re: Gute isnt getting Mack, the bears did.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:41:39 AM »
Ouch!

Gute must've been channeling his inner TT. "Hold on to those draft picks!"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
I think they just hamstrung themselves for a better than average player with locker room issues. They screwed up at least one draft and their salary cap.

We weren't afraid of mack when we played the raiders, I expect bulaga will handle him in a bears uniform too.

I will be cheering for mack when he's playing against purple.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 06:53:48 AM »
From Bill Huber of 24/7 Sports:

Chicago could put together a better offer for the Raiders and a better financial offer for Mack. After Aaron Rodgers’ contract extension failed to free up cap space, a league source said the only way the Packers could have worked a deal financially was to make Clay Matthews part of the deal.

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »
The star outside linebacker, who has been holding out throughout training camp, with the regular season starting in a week, is being traded from Oakland to Chicago. The Raiders will acquire two first-round picks and other compensation in a trade that is not yet official, according to NFL Network.

Chicago will negotiate a long-term deal with Mack that is expected to trump the contract Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald just received (six year extension for $135 million that included $87 million in guaranteed money).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:59:14 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »
Plus the Bears' first round picks will be significantly higher than ours  ;D

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 07:12:49 AM »
Khalil Mack to the bears, via bleacherreport. The division just got a little harder for the packers.

.........................or did it ? The Bears are giving up 2x1st's (and they already have no 2nd rounder), means they are going to have holes they can't fill. Bears have mortgaged a good part of their future, and it isn't a given that they are better long-term. In the short term they probably are, but that price tag (money and picks) for a non-QB, will hurt.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:13:23 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
1st Mack is better than “better than average”.  That’s under-selling him a little and I don’t know of any locker room issues.  I think I’ve read he’s well regarded on the team and in the community

If the Bears believe Trubisky is their long term answer,  he’s on his rookie deal for several more seasons.  Bears are going the Rams route and can pay more for team talent while they pay their QB beans

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:05:19 AM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »
So for the next two years, if everything stays the same, we will have 3 first round draft picks and 2 second round draft picks while the bears in all likelihood will have just one second round draft pick.  Good luck bears!
And apparently lose a player and be out at least 22 million per year.  He is a great player but that's pretty steep.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:24:22 AM by MO.Pack »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Would be cool if the Pack gave up significantly lesser comp and landed a player like Dante Fowler but I won’t be disappointed and angry when they don’t

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
Trubisky is Ryan Leaf #2 and the Bears have no OL!!!!!  They are gonna be in a world of hurt.  Defense will likely outscore their offense!

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Well, if you want to cast it as bad as you can for the Bears, OK.

But IMO, this is a good deal for them.  If you add up all the first round picks that go bust--like Corey Coleman just did--and all the first round picks that turn out average--like AJ Hawk did-- then giving up two number ones for a guy who is really a Pro Bowl player, at least, is not a bad deal. 

Further, if you examine that defense of the Bears, this is what they needed, another rusher.  This will help free up Floyd.  With Hicks and Mack on one side and Floyd on the weak side, you have a lot of problems in pass pro.

If you add in all the help Pace has given Trubisky on offense, plus two good RB, plus a decent OL--Long and Whitehair are both quite good--the Bears are in pretty good shape.

Their problem is that they are in a very good division.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »
The Bears did something similar to this a few seasons ago for some guy named Cutler. We know how that worked out.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
Ouch!

Gute must've been channeling his inner TT. "Hold on to those draft picks!"

I don't believe he was "channeling" anyone. To meet Mack's demands, the Packers would have had to cut CMIII and Cobb, or a similar combination of starters. That would be for the coming season. To fit Mack's contract and AR's under the cap, they'd have had to make some very difficult choices in the next few years. In brief, I think Gutekunst would have parted with the two picks. The fact is, though, that Mack's demands, especially after the Donald deal, were simply out of reasonable reach.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
I agree with Ricky on this.  Gute just did not have the CAP room and the Bears did.

As per the Cutler comparison, the Bears now have two good coaches Nagy for offense and Fangio for defense.

Fangio is very underrated and should actually be a head coach is you ask me.

BTW, the news is the Raiders gave them a number two also in return for a three.