November 19, 2018, 10:34:30 AM

Author Topic: Gute isnt getting Mack, the bears did.  (Read 1262 times)

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
Re: Gute isnt getting Mack, the bears did.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
6 yrs $141 mil.  $90 mil guaranteed w $60 guaranteed at signing.  Hefty chunk for a non-qb

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »
1st Mack is better than “better than average”.  That’s under-selling him a little and I don’t know of any locker room issues.  I think I’ve read he’s well regarded on the team and in the community

If the Bears believe Trubisky is their long term answer,  he’s on his rookie deal for several more seasons.  Bears are going the Rams route and can pay more for team talent while they pay their QB beans
Trubisky's contract runs 3 more season. plus a 5th year option.

If he's the real deal in Chi-Town the will want to extend him prior to that 5th year option year, or his market value will price him out of the Bears reach.

Then again, maybe Da Bears think they can win with just 2 players on the team! Mack and Mitch.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
This contract is a two edged sword.

At a glance it's a four year ninety million contact, which means the bears are stuck with him for four years, but he's stuck with the bears for four years.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
Dougherty does not think that Gute was zealous enough in his attempt to get Mack.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/09/01/dougherty-khalil-mack-should-have-been-worth-more-packers-bears/1159437002/

I just don't see how the Pack was in position to do that deal CAP wise.  Right after the AR deal?

I mean who were you going to trade or release?  I think the Raiders wanted picks and not players.  They wanted to free up CAP space.  You would have had to find a buyer for Cobb and maybe CM 3 or Perry.

But I have to admit, if Mack ends up being DPOY again, there probably will be recriminations.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
There's a belief that gruden has already thrown in the towel on this season, he means to tank for a couple of years and build a while new team through the draft. He wanted our two firsts, not a couple older players. The whole clay plus Cobb thing was a nonstarter on Oakland, I feel certain.

Some are already predicting he'll have the #1 pick this year.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »
There's a belief that gruden has already thrown in the towel on this season, he means to tank for a couple of years and build a while new team through the draft. He wanted our two firsts, not a couple older players. The whole clay plus Cobb thing was a nonstarter on Oakland, I feel certain.

Some are already predicting he'll have the #1 pick this year.

I heard a guy on Mad Dog Radio opine that since Gruden is an offensive coach, he doesn't care that much about the defense. But tanking for a couple years and going the "draft and develop" route? Here is how well this strategy worked out for the Rams (from the Pete Dougherty article linked in a post by Gregg:

Look for instance, at the Robert Griffin III trade back in 2012. In trading out of the No. 2 spot overall, the Rams received three first-rounders and a second over a three-year period. They turned them into eight picks who produced a combined zero Pro Bowls, and only one player (defensive lineman Michael Brockers) who’s still with the team.

Even with the Packers, its often luck, not great draft position that gets results. And who is predicting the Raiders are getting the first pick next year? OF course the Raiders wanted the Packers two firsts next year. Did Gute offer them, along with some swaps of other picks, like the Bears? Who knows? Dougherty's opinion is that if that is what it took, then do the deal. I agree. Mack would have had a similar impact as Reggie or Woodson on the defense. Always, always take the sure thing, rather than draft and hope for the best. Doubtful? Go back to the quote about the Rams "bounty" of picks, and what they netted the team.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid