September 25, 2018, 10:25:29 PM

Author Topic: Packers cuts  (Read 2562 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers cuts
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2018, 06:08:56 AM »
Packers now have two open roster spots.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2018, 06:11:32 AM »

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
2m2 minutes ago

More #Packers moves today: Green Bay is signing former #49ers and #Seahawks LB Korey Toomer, source said. Some late defensive help before Week 1.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
2m2 minutes ago

More #Packers moves today: Green Bay is signing former #49ers and #Seahawks LB Korey Toomer, source said. Some late defensive help before Week 1.

The Packers now have one open roster spot. :)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
Here’s a profile about Korey Toomer from Fansided:

https://ninernoise.com/2018/07/08/49ers-2018-series-linebacker-korey-toomer/

-He actually started 16 games for the Chargers the past two years and was picked up by the 49ers as a FA. Career stats on Toomer from NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/player/koreytoomer/2534567/profile

-Not surprised Kumerow went to IR; that’s what I predicted on my ‘final 53' post. In fact, it’s one of the few predictions that was correct!  () - : #
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:55:05 AM by JQ »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
That Kumerow IR was about as predictable as it gets, based on Gute's press conference yesterday!  :)  He also pretty much said that they would sign a fullback o halfback, presumably Ripkowski. 

I'd guess Toomer might make Crawford a guy who could be waived and bumped over to PS. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »
Toomer is an ILB.

Green Bay needs help at OLB............OL..............RB, as well.

Nassib would help, but so would John Simon (INDY).

Spencer Durango (OL) could help OL depth

Akrum Wadley (RB) would help RB depth, plus he could supplant Davis as PR/KR.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »
That Kumerow IR was about as predictable as it gets, based on Gute's press conference yesterday!  :)  He also pretty much said that they would sign a fullback o halfback, presumably Ripkowski. 

I'd guess Toomer might make Crawford a guy who could be waived and bumped over to PS.

Agree that Kumerow to IR was the plan all along and it has been hinted about Ripkowski since he was cut that he would return. Those two may have been tied together from the start, maybe?

5 ILB's seems like a lot, I think Toomer arrival puts Morrison more in danger than Crawford.IMO   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 07:30:19 AM »
I'd think Crawford more.  Morrison seems to address the Ryan run-stop 1st-down position; Toomer isn't that much of a tackler but is more capable of being anti-awful if the opponent passes. Both are experienced ready-to-play guys. 

So *IF* they find somebody off the street that they think can help at OLB, to sign **this week**, I'd think Crawford would be more vulnerable. 

Put more simply, Morrison is for Ryan, Toomer is for Burks. 

If/when Burks is truly 100% ready, perhaps then you let one of the three Crawford/Morrison/Toomer guys go.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »
It would be interesting to see if Gute did put in some claims.  I can't imagine going into this week's prep with the make up of the roster as it looks right now. 

RT - If Gute did put in claims - who might those claims have been for??

That is a good question and one I wish I had an answer for. If you match the list of waiver claims and look at only the teams ahead of them in draft order, we could make guesses of possible claims attempted.

Houston Texans
Claimed:
RB Buddy Howell
CB Natrell Jamerson

Indianapolis Colts
Claimed:
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

New York Giants
Claimed:
DL Mario Edwards

Cleveland Browns
Claimed:
DL Carl Davis
DL Ifeadi Odenigbo
LB Tanner Vallejo

This is a wild guess, but if the Packers made a claim attempt it may well of been from that group of players.

Something that may be even more profitable for the Packers is the new set of players released today by teams that made claims, for every new player claimed one player must be released. A few of those players that could make their way to Green Bay.

Los Angeles Chargers
cut:
LB Hayes Pullard

Arizona Cardinals
cut:
T Will Holden

Detroit Lions
cut:
T Brian Mihalik

Cleveland Browns
cut:
DL Carl Nassib
LB Jermaine Grace

The Packers showed interest in several of these players in the predraft process in each players drafted year. Personally I would love to see them add Nissib tomorrow. A big EDGE that fit the defense of this year.

Darn, Tampa Bay claimed Nassib and Seattle claimed Grace. Also see that the Raiders claimed ex-Packer Brian Price.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
Field Yates

Verified account

@FieldYates
Follow Follow @FieldYates
More
A total of four teams put in a waiver claim on DE Anthony Zettel, per source: the Browns, Packers, Chargers and Vikings. Cleveland had top waiver wire priority.

I thought he would be a nice pickup for the Packers, if Cleveland doesn't drop a claim he would of been a Packer.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:35 PM »
The Packers bottom four of five spots on the roster will probably be in flux for most of the year. Injuries leading the IR, players being released unexpectedly, this is common every year. Though it is interesting to see who ends up on the PS toward the end of the year, as the team gears up for either a playoff run, or starts stashing players to evaluate for next year.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid