September 25, 2018, 09:24:52 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Practice Squad  (Read 1406 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: 2018 Practice Squad
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 08:23:51 AM »
Gute said they had two OLB on the PS.  I'd wondered if they were adding some OLB guy and needed to formalize before announcing.  But now that PS is filled, he was evidently referring to Looney.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
Tony Brown has some really intriguing physical traits.  Not sure he'll ever develop into an effective CB  but could develop into a core STer.   He was a player I was hoping they'd take a late round flyer on in the draft.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
This just in. Packers have signed Darious Jackson off Dallas PS:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/03/packers-signing-rb-darius-jackson-off-cowboys-practice-squad/

From PackersWire:

”Jackson will replace waived cornerback Herb Waters on the Packers’ roster.”

and

"In Jackson, the Packers are getting an elite athlete who has never carried the football in a regular season game.

Coming out of Eastern Michigan, the 6-0, 220-pound Jackson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds, did 20 reps on the bench press, hit 41″ in the vertical leap and 11-1 in the broad jump and completed the 3-cone drill in 6.87 seconds."

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:50:08 AM by JQ »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
Very surprised, some of the JS rumors seemed to suggest Ripkowski, and I thought some of Gute's press-conference comments also hinted that fullback was "fluid". 

Maybe they still will, and Light or Crawford will get waived. 

But would have thought MM might prefer a system-familiar blitz-blocker first (Rip), over a developmental prospect.  So color me surprised. 

May well be that Rip was a possibility; but after scouting and reviewing, maybe they liked the possibilities with Jackson and thought his possible upside was high enough that it was worth taking a shot?  Good candidate to get waived in two weeks for Jones anyway, but gives them a couple of weeks to take a look and see what they think.   

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
Rip may come after week 1 when vet salaries are no longer guaranteed?   Perhaps a consideration at this point for other vet guys that could help like John Simon

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
FWIW If we were poaching RB talent I wish it would have been De'Angelo Henderson from the Jets PS.  He's small but dynamic.    Had a very nice preseason with the Broncos.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
Tony Brown has some really intriguing physical traits.  Not sure he'll ever develop into an effective CB  but could develop into a core STer.   He was a player I was hoping they'd take a late round flyer on in the draft.

Read his draft profile straight line guy can't flip his hips.  Lack of fluidity is a death sentence if trying to play corner.  Didn't like what I read.  Good against the run and special teams gunner.  Fast is fine but you have to be able to move laterally.  Hope the scouts got him wrong.  We'll see.  I liked Waters surprised he didn't get back to the PS.