September 25, 2018, 09:52:23 PM

Author Topic: 2018 roster turnover: over 50%  (Read 793 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
2018 roster turnover: over 50%
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:45:01 AM »
LB Vince Biegel (cut)
LB Ahmad Brooks (not re-signed)
CB Donatello Brown (cut)
S Morgan Burnett (not re-signed)
TE Emanuel Byrd (cut)
QB Joe Callahan (cut)
WR Michael Clark (retired)
C Dillon Day (cut)
DL Quinton Dial (not re-signed)
G Jahri Evans (not re-signed)
S Marwin Evans (cut)
LS Brett Goode (not re-signed)
CB Josh Hawkins (cut)
QB Brett Hundley (traded)
WR Jeff Janis (not re-signed)
OT Ulrick John (cut)
FB Joe Kerridge (cut, practice squad)
RB Devante Mays (cut)
WR Jordy Nelson (cut)
OLB Chris Odom (cut)
OL Adam Pankey (cut, practice squad)
CB Lenzy Pipkins (traded)
CB Damarious Randall (traded)
FB Aaron Ripkowski (cut)
TE Richard Rodgers (not re-signed)
LB Joe Thomas (not re-signed)
P Justin Vogel (cut)
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: 2018 roster turnover: over 50%
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »
Gute is making it HIS roster and not TT's.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
This really isn't a thing. This is most every team, every year. The numbers sometimes get distorted when a team is out of the playoff race and at the end of the year IR a few they normally wouldn't to get a look at a young guy or two. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
This really isn't a thing. This is most every team, every year. The numbers sometimes get distorted when a team is out of the playoff race and at the end of the year IR a few they normally wouldn't to get a look at a young guy or two.

This is the reality of the NFL. A lot of times there are those who throw barbs at "those millionaires" doing this or that. The average for players is 3.3 years. According to the NFL Players Association the average career length is about 3.3 years. The NFL claims that the average career is about 6 years (for players who make a club's opening day roster in their rookie season). So most guys aren't around long enough to try for a second contract. This is what always bothers me, that these guys have spent the majority of their lives trying to make the grade, and in a very short amount of time, their dreams are shattered.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
Even the rookies are making had a million per year. I think you screw of in college, go play a game, and make $1.5 mil with a chance for a lot more, that's better than I did out of college by a pretty fair margin.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:40:07 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
Even the rookies are making had a million per year. I think you screw of in college, go play a game, and make $1.5 mil with a chance for a lot more, that's better than I did out of college by a pretty fair margin.

Half a million IF you make the 53 man roster and stay there all year. PS is much less. Then there is the agent's fee, taxes, FICA, and other considerations. And as far as "screw of in college"? Seriously? These guys have to do conditioning, attend meetings and all the other requirements of being on a football team. And risk an injury that will literally cripple them for life. Some actually manage to get a meaningful degree, but many end up with "human kinetics" and other "degrees". And that assumes you're in the league for the average of three years. And that average is only a possibility IF you are drafted, or are one of the really lucky ones who make it as an UDFA.

Think of all the college players, especially from the "power conferences" that are filled with guys who want to make the NFL a career. Its a tough, tough road to the NFL. And if you are lucky enough to make it and become a starter, you have the luxury of having your body beaten to a pulp once a week for four months. Yes, it is their choice. And I'm not trying to make them out to be victims or anything like that. I'm just feel sorry for those who fought and clawed and worked their butts off to achieve their dream, only to see all that work and dedication lost in an instant.

You post that terrific offensive lineman's POV narration every year, so I know you understand just how cruel and debilitating football can be for the players. I just hate to see anyone's dreams be dashed because of circumstances beyond their control.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »

TT made up the roster using guys scouted and recommended-by and discussed-with his chief of college scouting, Mr. Gute.  By all accounts, Ted's operation was always highly collaborative and input-driven. 

So I kinda fear that whatever one doesn't like about Ted's recent player procurement, Gute probably needs to share a whole lot of that

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »

TT made up the roster using guys scouted and recommended-by and discussed-with his chief of college scouting, Mr. Gute.  By all accounts, Ted's operation was always highly collaborative and input-driven. 

So I kinda fear that whatever one doesn't like about Ted's recent player procurement, Gute probably needs to share a whole lot of that

Well stated craig. TT is about as egoless self of a boss as anyone could hope for. The personnel decisions made were a group effort of many peoples hardwork. The 2015 draft has not ended well for the Packers, but Gute and Wolf and many others share in that failure.

The funny part of this is all the fans that view Gute as this anti-TT, rogue GM who is going to make wild decisions because he wants to win. The reality is he is just a little spicier version of TT, but their is no need to let those that felt suppressed by TT in on that. For now they sleep better believing the shakles and chains have been removed and the Packers will win the next 6 Super Bowls of Rodgers 6 remaining years on his new contract.

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
I remember watching the Pack last year after ARod went down.   I could have sworn that if we cut everyone we would have been better than the team that was on the field.  I'll take 50% turnover.  lol

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
I remember watching the Pack last year after ARod went down.   I could have sworn that if we cut everyone we would have been better than the team that was on the field.  I'll take 50% turnover.  lol

I think that post Rodgers season was eye-opening to a lot of the Packer brass.  It exposed a lot of weaknesses that Rodgers covered up.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »

Half a million IF you make the 53 man roster and stay there all year. PS is much less. Then there is the agent's fee, taxes, FICA, and other considerations. And as far as "screw of in college"? Seriously? These guys have to do conditioning, attend meetings and all the other requirements of being on a football team. And risk an injury that will literally cripple them for life. Some actually manage to get a meaningful degree, but many end up with "human kinetics" and other "degrees". And that assumes you're in the league for the average of three years. And that average is only a possibility IF you are drafted, or are one of the really lucky ones who make it as an UDFA.

Think of all the college players, especially from the "power conferences" that are filled with guys who want to make the NFL a career. Its a tough, tough road to the NFL. And if you are lucky enough to make it and become a starter, you have the luxury of having your body beaten to a pulp once a week for four months. Yes, it is their choice. And I'm not trying to make them out to be victims or anything like that. I'm just feel sorry for those who fought and clawed and worked their butts off to achieve their dream, only to see all that work and dedication lost in an instant.

You post that terrific offensive lineman's POV narration every year, so I know you understand just how cruel and debilitating football can be for the players. I just hate to see anyone's dreams be dashed because of circumstances beyond their control.

Well said Ricky.  It is hard not to feel a little bad for the guys on the bottom end scratching and clawing to get their shot.  I'll add their was a little more equity in pay scales for NFL players. 

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »

He probably missed on a few but I'll blame Elliot Wolf.  Don't think he was good at evaluating talent.  The Packers definitely made the right choice.   In Gute I trust.  Really like what did in the draft as well as bringing in FA's.  So far so good.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
Yep. If you break down the current roster today, there’s a lot of developmental talent, and very few blue-chip or studs.
Blue-chip - Rodgers
Studs - Adams, Bakh, Bulaga, Graham, Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson
Solid Starters - Matthews, Neal, Dix, Martinez, Cobb, Williams, Crosby, Allison, Jones, King, a few others.
Developers/Rookies - everyone else

In reality, that’s not a terrible lineup at all, and probably similar to a majority of clubs in the league.  Most teams don’t have a bevy of blue-chip talent, especially not at QB, so it tends to even out somewhat.  I do think that several of our developmental players and rookies are going to become quality studs or solid starters in the near future, so I think we’re on the right track so far under Gute.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »

A $75,000 yearly salary would take 20 years to earn the $1.5 million, putting one at about 42-44 years old. Another 20 years, and you're at retirement age. I think for many, $75K a year would be a dream come true. Sad to put all of that into perspective.

Looking back, my biggest regret is not learning how to punt or long snap a football at an early age. Seems like it could have been an attainable, well paid, and fun career for an average Joe athlete. You get to watch every game from the sideline, get to hang out with NFL stars, go out on the field a handful of times per game, and you don't get hit.