October 16, 2018, 12:27:37 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Bears v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 2233 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Bears v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
100 years of Packers football. Titletown. Lombardi and the Glory Years. Holmgren and Favre and Reggie. Now Rodgers. (Yes, I'm skipping those terrible years from the end of Lombardi to the hiring of Wolf/Holmgren). And to open against the Bears? The NFL got this right, at least. A loss would be unacceptable. A defeat would be ignomious. A defeat would be reason for a national day of mourning for Packer Nation. A loss wouldn't end the season, but would cast a pall over the season. And as far as the addition of Mack to the Bears? Be thankful he didn't go to the Vikings. And here is an article that does get the impact of this rivalry, and the importance of this game. Expect the Packers to be in Chicago for their 100th anniversary opener next year.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/prime-time-against-the-bears-a-fitting-start-to-100th-season-121

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Bears v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:53:54 AM »
In looking at the Bears line up, if they don't have the best LB corps in the NFC, it sure has to be in the top three.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:30:51 AM »
Their LB's certainly look good on paper, but I think Floyd and especially Smith still have to prove it. I think Floyd's game probably has some potential for increase due to the simple addition of Smith and Mack.

I think for comparison sake, you have to include defensive ends from 4-3 teams. Out of the NFC, I would take the Vikings combination of Baar and Kendricks along with their edge rushers of Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen. I think Seattle should be up in the conversation too with Wagner, Wright, and Clark as an edge rusher.

Some awfully strong front 7's coming from the NFC North. Green Bay isn't looking too shabby there either if we get some health and production out of Perry/Matthews/Gilbert.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »
Sounds like Leonard Floyd will play with a club on his broken hand. Practiced yesterday for the first time since breaking it August 18th.

Both Mack and Smith coming off of long hold outs. Smith probably not fully up to speed with the defense (important for an ILB) and Mack probably not quite full on game ready physically. I would doubt they would throw the huge investment "franchise guy" out there for 65 snaps and risk tearing something due to not being game ready. I'm expecting Chicago to bring him along gradually over the first 2-3 games. Maybe get 20-25 good snaps out of him week 1.

I think the late season Chicago defense we'll see is going to be a completely different unit than we see week 1, of course barring injuries.

It's Bears vs. Packers, week 1, Lambeau Field, high expectations for both teams. No reason for me to think this won't be a hard fought game on both sides. Love Packers/Bears week and glad to see both teams looking to be at a high level. Best rivalry in football renewed!

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Bare improvement notwithstanding, young Mitch Trubisky will need to go against Mike Pettineā€™s retooled and rejuvenated Packer defense. It should be quite an entertaining contest to open the season!  ( - : #

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
You have to expect that the bears will only very rarely give up more than about 17 points. So our job is to make sure we don't either. This promises to be a real slug-fest.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
You have to expect that the bears will only very rarely give up more than about 17 points. So our job is to make sure we don't either. This promises to be a real slug-fest.

Last year, the Bears averaged 20 points/game given up. The Packers averaged 24 per game. Both teams have added some defensive help, though the addition of Mack is unmatched by the Packers. Though what the impact of Pettine will be is unknown. The thing is, the Packers have added some firepower on offense, and have Rodgers back healthy. And that is a big, big game tilter. But, definitely, this is going to be a tough home opener for both teams. Because when these two teams meet, as the cliche goes, throw out the records, because every game is going to be a blood match.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
I expect rust and sloppiness.  There's been minimal game action for many of these guys this year. New coordinators on both sides of the ball for the Packers.  They should put the Bears away, but if you let them hang around, it could turn into a sloppy loss you regret down the road.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »
A little something to get you ready for some football! A Sunday night party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnGsHEb68sk

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
I think the biggest key is going to be Philbins game plan, and will MM avoid calling plays like a 14 year old on Madden. Quick throws should be 75% of the passing game plan, and fast runs up the middle should help lengthen drives and tire out the defense. Can MM refrain from the 3rd and half a yard shots 40 yards downfield? Only Sunday night will tell. I am also looking forward to seeing how they help the Oline in pass blocking. Rip is gone, and he was the only back large enough to constantly take on that front seven in pass blocking. Interesting first game to say the least.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Ah, so Marcedes Lewis is chopped liver then ? Blocking isn't the exclusive preserve of backs.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:34:30 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:51:03 AM »
100 years of Packers football. Titletown. Lombardi and the Glory Years. Holmgren and Favre and Reggie. Now Rodgers. (Yes, I'm skipping those terrible years from the end of Lombardi to the hiring of Wolf/Holmgren). And to open against the Bears? The NFL got this right, at least. A loss would be unacceptable. A defeat would be ignomious. A defeat would be reason for a national day of mourning for Packer Nation. A loss wouldn't end the season, but would cast a pall over the season. And as far as the addition of Mack to the Bears? Be thankful he didn't go to the Vikings. And here is an article that does get the impact of this rivalry, and the importance of this game. Expect the Packers to be in Chicago for their 100th anniversary opener next year.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/prime-time-against-the-bears-a-fitting-start-to-100th-season-121

Yeah baby!!! The oldest most storied rivalry in the NFL

196 times these two great franchises have faced each other:
 ~ GB has won 96 times, Chi has won 94, 6 times they have tied;
 ~ GB has scored 3393 points Chi 3361 - a 32 point difference
 ~ GB has won the most NFL titles 13, Chi is 2nd with 9
 ~ GB has 25 players in the Hall of Fame, Chi has 27

Bart Starr was 12 - 3 vs da bears
Brett Favre was 22 - 10 vs da bears
Aaron Rodgers continues the tradition, he is 15 - 4 vs da bears
 ~ AR - 409 of 604 passes, 4,596 yards, 42 touchdowns, 9 int's, 107.2 passer rating

Good kickoff thread ricky, great way to kick off the first Sunday night of the 2018 season!
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »
Ah, so Marcedes Lewis is chopped liver then ? Blocking isn't the exclusive preserve of backs.

It is for picking up the free blitzer or an edge rusher who beat their man. Try not just finding crap to argue about.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »

It is for picking up the free blitzer or an edge rusher who beat their man. Try not just finding crap to argue about.
Shinesman is right.  A guy in the backfield can block a blitzer (or a free man who just simply beat his blocker) coming from any direction, left, right, or middle.  Lewis at one end of the line can't. 

Still, I think he may still help indirectly, even on blitzers/free-men coming from other alleys.  There are two ways to deactivate a blitzer.  Obviously one is to block him; but the other is to run away from him.  The latter is where I'm imaging Lewis might help a LOT and enable a means of escape. 

With MM's traditional 5-man front, both tackles are often backing up almost as fast as they can, to create the pocket and to force edge rushers to take a longer loop to get around.  But by folding in on both ends, it often leaves Aaron with no direction to roll away from pressure. 

I'm hoping that with Lewis outside of Bulaga on the right, that not only will pressure from the right be precluded, but that Bulaga won't need to fold way back and wall Rodgers into the pocket.  Aaron is awesome when he's rolling to the right.  So *IF* Lewis can basically both seal the right AND unfold the right side, Rodgers may have great success rolling right, and run away from pressure coming from the left or up the middle. 

That's the dream, at any rate.  Does that makes sense, or am I just dreaming and it doesn't really work like that?