October 15, 2018, 01:58:38 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Bears v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 2229 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Bears v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Ah, so Marcedes Lewis is chopped liver then ? Blocking isn't the exclusive preserve of backs.

It is for picking up the free blitzer or an edge rusher who beat their man. Try not just finding crap to argue about.

Oooh, irritated, eh. So I'll ask another question that is a little closer to your requirement. Do you think Kendricks will play an H-back role, because they ARE set back from the line of scrimmage. I think he will be back there, sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:05:02 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
I has definitely been a long off season when I forget to add this to a Packers/Bears thread. Because I abhor the Bears. A lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRHH9uAL4Q

Then again, at least one Bears player thinks the Packers OL is not ready for prime time. Mr. Hicks and his hot [licks/s] takes will help the Packers front five be ready to play. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/05/akiem-hicks-packers-linemen-cant-block-khalil-mack/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:24:23 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:46 PM »
I doubt the Packer front five cares a rat’s a$$ about what Hicks thinks. They’ll be mucho ready to play some rock ‘em, sock ‘em football on Sunday night.

Same with the new Packer defensive line with Kenny Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, and company. Pettine with have that defense ready to play.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:17:31 PM by JQ »

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 07:08:19 AM »
Been reading tons of optimistic talk by Chicago fans since the Mack trade.

I'd like to clear a few questions up. How many top 20 defenses was Kahlil Mack a part of in Oakland? How many winning teams was he a part of? How many playoff games and Super Bowls did he help them win?

A great player? Certainly, without a doubt. A complete game changer that vaults an average team into a contender? History has proven otherwise.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 07:10:03 PM »
Ah, so Marcedes Lewis is chopped liver then ? Blocking isn't the exclusive preserve of backs.

It is for picking up the free blitzer or an edge rusher who beat their man. Try not just finding crap to argue about.
Shinesman is right.  A guy in the backfield can block a blitzer (or a free man who just simply beat his blocker) coming from any direction, left, right, or middle.  Lewis at one end of the line can't. 

Still, I think he may still help indirectly, even on blitzers/free-men coming from other alleys.  There are two ways to deactivate a blitzer.  Obviously one is to block him; but the other is to run away from him.  The latter is where I'm imaging Lewis might help a LOT and enable a means of escape. 

With MM's traditional 5-man front, both tackles are often backing up almost as fast as they can, to create the pocket and to force edge rushers to take a longer loop to get around.  But by folding in on both ends, it often leaves Aaron with no direction to roll away from pressure. 

I'm hoping that with Lewis outside of Bulaga on the right, that not only will pressure from the right be precluded, but that Bulaga won't need to fold way back and wall Rodgers into the pocket.  Aaron is awesome when he's rolling to the right.  So *IF* Lewis can basically both seal the right AND unfold the right side, Rodgers may have great success rolling right, and run away from pressure coming from the left or up the middle. 

That's the dream, at any rate.  Does that makes sense, or am I just dreaming and it doesn't really work like that?   

You have a good point. I would hope we see Lewis blocking straight up or helping a tackle. I just hope the backs can pick up the blitz on those long developing plays
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »

Oooh, irritated, eh. So I'll ask another question that is a little closer to your requirement. Do you think Kendricks will play an H-back role, because they ARE set back from the line of scrimmage. I think he will be back there, sometimes.

I was irritated because it was clearly not what I was talking about and if you didnt understand my point you should study more football. I wouldnt mind kendricks in the backfield to answer your question. He is a big guy who wont get completely flattened by a charging blitzer or a free edge rusher.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »
Just saw this, and had to share it. Titled "The Game That Made Aaron Rodgers Famous", he beats the Bears with some late game heroics. Hopefully a template for Sunday night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HYusGF6Uw

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »
In deepdiving into the Bears roster this morning it is clear that this is not the same old Bears. They have quietly put together a solid and fairly deep roster. Fangio defenses have historically given Rodgers and the Packers some troubles and would not be surprised to see some of the same on sunday. Hicks has grown into a special player on the D-line and with Mack and Floyd coming off the edges, they could be a disruptive group.

Their offense could be a greatly improved group this season also. Mitchell Trubisky played better as a rookie than most Packers fans care to admit and with a full offseason to digest his year I would not be surprised to see a Goff-like second year leap. Their interior OL is very good and their group of skill players is surprisingly good and deep.

Chicago will be a tough out week after week this season no matter who they are playing. They are building a team with staying power and in the years to come they are going to be a force in the NFC North.

I still believe that the Packers have the top X-factor with Rodgers, but the margin for error is not as great as it once was with the Bears. The packers staff and players know the Bears are going to be a handful sunday night, even if a good percentage of fans believe it will be a cakewalk.

Expecting a hard fought win, a division win. Any win is a good win, just get the season started 1-0.

Go Pack Go!       

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
It seems the Packers will be seeing less of Khalil Mack than first thought/feared. After all, the guy is definitely not in football shape, and it will probably be October before he is ready to go full speed. So, the Bears are planning on limiting his playing. Big contract notwithstand.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/07/khalil-mack-will-be-on-a-pitch-count/

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
You have to expect that the bears will only very rarely give up more than about 17 points. So our job is to make sure we don't either. This promises to be a real slug-fest.

The Bears are improved. We can no longer count on Cutler to throw us a couple.  BTW. He's still is my nominee to be the first opposing player inducted into the Packer HOF.  He helped us a lot over the years.  J/K.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:11:26 PM by The GM »

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
This will be a tough opener for the Packers, but it’s a game I expect them to win.

‘da bears had a stout defense last year, and Fangio has found ways to keep Rodgers off balance and frustrate him. But chicago, for all their improvement on defense, still has a vulnerable secondary. I look for Davante, Graham, Cobb, and Allison to all make some plays against those sketchy DBs. The Bear front seven will make some plays, but Rodgers will make them pay as well.

And Young Mitchell Trubisky will feel growing pains against Pettine’s retooled and rejuvenated defense. I expect he’ll account for two turnovers, maybe more, via fumble or pick. I think Clay Matthews could have a big game; he’s tired of hearing about “the other 52.”

A little about special teams: It will be interesting to see how JK Scott plays in his NFL debut. If he can pin the Bears deep in their end of the field, it would be a perfect opportunity for fellow rookie Josh Jackson to get his first pic 6 in a real game! Or perhaps it will be ‘the Return of Tramon!’ And I’m also curious to see if Trevor Davis make a play or two on returns to justify his roster spot. Another game-winning Mason Crosby field goal is a deifinite possibility.

In any case, this should be fun!          GO PACKERS!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:25 PM »
This will be a tough opener for the Packers, but it’s a game I expect them to win.

‘da bears had a stout defense last year, and Fangio has found ways to keep Rodgers off balance and frustrate him. But chicago, for all their improvement on defense, still has a vulnerable secondary. I look for Davante, Graham, Cobb, and Allison to all make some plays against those sketchy DBs. The Bear front seven will make some plays, but Rodgers will make them pay as well.

And Young Mitchell Trubisky will feel growing pains against Pettine’s retooled and rejuvenated defense. I expect he’ll account for two turnovers, maybe more, via fumble or pick. I think Clay Matthews could have a big game; he’s tired of hearing about “the other 52.”

A little about special teams: It will be interesting to see how JK Scott plays in his NFL debut. If he can pin the Bears deep in their end of the field, it would be a perfect opportunity for fellow rookie Josh Jackson to get his first pic 6 in a real game! Or perhaps it will be ‘the Return of Tramon!’ And I’m also curious to see if Trevor Davis make a play or two on returns to justify his roster spot. Another game-winning Mason Crosby field goal is a deifinite possibility.

In any case, this should be fun!          GO PACKERS!

Thank you for pointing out that the Packers are not the Browns. They are at minimum a playoff team, with serious SB aspirations. The Bears will be shooting for a winning record. Will it be a tough game? Every division game is tough. So are the others. And it only gets more difficult and more meaningful as the year progresses. I'm very curious about some things- how well the offense is in sync; what kind of defense Pettine finally reveals, now that the game count. Will the refs be flag happy, or let the teams play? Will there be a penalty imbalance? How will the secondary, expecially the safeties, look in a game that counts? Lots of questions, and hopefully some good answers in tonight's game.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
Don't forget the two new Rodgers rules: no slamming the QB to the ground, and no more free plays for offsides.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
Saints Watch:   Saints lose, our 2019 first rd draft choice via the Saints just move up some.   clap)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Saints Watch:   Saints lose, our 2019 first rd draft choice via the Saints just move up some.   clap)

And our chances for home field just went up a bit. A twofer.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!