August 20, 2019, 09:11:34 AM

Author Topic: O line  (Read 7281 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: O line
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Hey Danno......see your point on the pricetag. Like Lindstrom as well.

Listened to the Tony Pauline  podcast (Draftanalyst .com) after day two of the Senior Bowl.

Lindstrom (Boston College, 6'4", 310), seems to be one of his favourite guys there, and looks like a good prospect. He liked Javon Patterson (Ole Miss, 6'3", 314) as well.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
Massie is off the market.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Massie is off the market.

So much for the Chicago Sportwriters saying the Bears were willing to move on from him. Continuity trumps youth.

I'll keep an eye on Jordan Mills.

If they keep Bulaga, then that's the way the chips fall. I think it's a big risk. But for the sake of "continuity", it may be what they choose to do.

I was of the opinion that since they will be installing a whole new offense, only one year left on his contract, AND BB's injury history, that this would be the right time to make move on.........sign a veteran for a reasonably short window and draft/groom a future RT.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
How about Edwards from Wisconsin? Would appear to be a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. May be there @ #44.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »
..My thought:...2.  Sign a FA guard who is variably better than Bell..../quote]

Somebody better call Gute! I don't think he knows he's supposed to get a FA Guard!

....Gutekunst praised starting left guard Lane Taylor and pointed to Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray and even undrafted free agent Alex Light as three young players capable of playing right guard next season.

So, maybe you're right, and perhaps the Packers love the status quo and will stick with that.  So, suppose:
1.  Gute loves his collection of guards. 
2.  Bakhti was just honored as the best pass-blocking tackle in the league, right? 
3.  Many posters view Bulaga as very good when he plays; good value-per-dollar if he plays most games, and the FA alternatives are few and pricey. 
4.  Recent PPF metric suggested the Packers as a whole had a fabulous pass-blocking performance this season and gave Rodgers gobs of time. 
5.  RT has posted other metrics suggesting the Packers had a great run-blocking line, with average yards-before-contact being either best-in-league or top-5. 

So, maybe Gute and LaFleur are going to buy into those numbers, and say everything was great with the line last year.  If it's excellent in giving Rodgers time, and it's excellent in blocking for yards before contact, where's the urgency?
 Spend a development pick to perhaps succeed Bulaga, but perhaps no priority or urgency whatsoever? 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:09:26 PM by craig »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »
So, if RT's metric is right, that the line was a top-end run blocking group (yards before contact), and PPF's is right that Packers were elite in giving Rodgers time, how should I think about that? 
*Is that really true, was I seeing an elite o-line last year, an elite combo of both pass-blocking and run-blocking excellence? 
*If so, why did Rodgers seem to be scrambling so often, and getting sacked so often, and throwing so many balls away?  To me, it seemed like 3rd down was kind of an automatic blitz-city, and that Rodgers rarely had time....   Just total misperception by me? 
*Are the metrics perhaps misleading to some degree?  Does Rodgers holding the ball and scrambling so much add time that PPF end up crediting to the o-line?  Or is there analysis much too sophisticated to be impacted?   
*I guess I never felt like the offense was really good or in control.  Yet if these metrics suggest we had a great-great o-line for both passing and running; most of the board is quite happy with Jones as a runner; Rodgers is still viewed as a GOAT candidate; the board loves Adams; and the board likes the rookie receivers enough so that I see very little clamor to prioritize WR in the draft.  But if the o-line is great and all of the surrounding pieces are pretty good and maybe great besides, is that what we actually saw on the field? 

Perhaps the line is that good, and it just speaks to how poor Rodgers' decision-making and accuracy was, and he's the primary culprit?  Or maybe Rodgers isn't bad but isn't GOAT-ish anymore; AND the WR aren't as good as we think; AND the o-line isn't actually as good as the metrics might suggest?  Or maybe it's all great, and it's all on MM?  I just don't even know how to think about the problems the offense had! 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
Craig, metrics, stats, and ratings are fine, but sometimes you have to add context to the equation.

They are likely going to install a blocking scheme that may be marginally different from before. Can't say that with 100% confidence, but it's possible. So there will be a learning curve for all players.

BB is in the final year of his contract. New offense, final contract year, high injury risk may all factor in as to whether or not the keep BB this season.

Drafting an OT to replace BB makes sense, but will that player be ready to step in right away next year? Aren't we still waiting for Spriggs to show us something?

There's no guarantee that a draft pick this year will be ready next year. sometimes it take 2 or more years for that draft pick to take over. No?!

Do you think we should extend BB beyond this year to give a draft pick that time to develop?
Or does it make sense to try to sign a FA to a 3-4 yr deal structurerd to give the Packers an out after the 2nd-3rd year?

Lot's of moving parts to consider. It isn't just that BB is an excellent RT.......WHEN he's healthy. There's more to consider.

That's part of my point

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »
If GB could draft Dalton Risner in the second then I think everyone in this thread would be happy.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »
I've hear it before on this board. That line did not pass the eyeball test. Jones had to side step guys in the backfield numerous times, Rodgers was scrambling from defenders immediately most of the time, and on 3rd down it was almost a guaranteed sack late in the year. Somehow that adds up to elite?  Wondering how. If we had dominators in the offensive trench, we would have won a lot of games. And Rodgers would have been having a super-year with stats. But we didnt, and he didnt.

As for Gutes praise.... when have you ever seen a GM say... yea, our cupboard is full of used paper plates at that position. And so and so is barely qualified for a high school team....

He is being political.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
I've hear it before on this board. That line did not pass the eyeball test. Jones had to side step guys in the backfield numerous times, Rodgers was scrambling from defenders immediately most of the time, and on 3rd down it was almost a guaranteed sack late in the year. Somehow that adds up to elite?  Wondering how. If we had dominators in the offensive trench, we would have won a lot of games. And Rodgers would have been having a super-year with stats. But we didnt, and he didnt.

As for Gutes praise.... when have you ever seen a GM say... yea, our cupboard is full of used paper plates at that position. And so and so is barely qualified for a high school team....

He is being political.
I think that everyone agrees that there is room for improvement.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
Never listen to what coaches/GMs/scouts belonging to a team, say at this time of year. There is so much misinformation floating around.......and worse.

Would you make a bet that the person who a couple of years ago, put up the picture of a top offensive tackle in a gas mask smoking a bong (and it was done just before the draft), was NOT on the team that eventually drafted him ? I wouldn't be comfortable making that bet.

It's cold comfort (because it doesn't tell us much in advance of the draft) but it's actions that show the real thinking. I tend to trust a few sites for independent comment before the draft, but not that many. Bleacher Report, Draftanalyst, Draft Network, Great Blue North, have credibility (in my eyes).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:22:11 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »
As far as Bulaga having to learn a new scheme....Iowa has run a zone scheme since Kirt has been HC...BB has plenty of experience

AS far  AS Rodgers SCRAMBLING SO MUCH..

I remember an article about the O and Bulaga was questioned about some of the breakdowns in the OL in pass pro

A little irritated Bulaga said that no-one knows why there is pressure sometimes...some is real... some is manufactiured.

BB said there are times in the huddle Rodgers would ask BB if he could let his man come inside or outside to create a hole for Rodgers to escape the packet and have a scramble drill.

To the naked eye it looks like th eOT was beat by the DE ands forced Rodgers to scramble when in fact it is what Rodgers wanted to do....

Just maybe it fooled the HC also

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
Never listen to what coaches/GMs/scouts belonging to a team, say at this time of year. There is so much misinformation floating around.......and worse.

Would you make a bet that the person who a couple of years ago, put up the picture of a top offensive tackle in a gas mask smoking a bong (and it was done just before the draft), was NOT on the team that eventually drafted him ? I wouldn't be comfortable making that bet.

It's cold comfort (because it doesn't tell us much in advance of the draft) but it's actions that show the real thinking. I tend to trust a few sites for independent comment before the draft, but not that many. Bleacher Report, Draftanalyst, Draft Network, Great Blue North, have credibility (in my eyes).
I followed that story closely and it was almost surely his stepfather. That being said, your overall point is valid.

Safety is the position where GB can potentially get value in FA.

As far as the draft and what can be predicted pre-combine, I am thinking less and less that Williams would slide to GB. It makes too much sense for NYG to snag him and continue to rebuild their OL - especially with an aging Manning.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 02:49:55 AM »
From a versatility standpoint, I really like Risner. He can play basically any position and hold his own. Some scouts see him as a RT, others at G. Either way, with BB's health and looming free agency it would be a good idea to find a suitable replacement now. Best case scenario - BB plays 16 games at a high level and Risner plays RG. Worst case - BB injured again - no worries, Risner takes over.
Cody Ford IMO could pretty much do the same. Shooting up draft boards though and probably will not be there at #12 let alone #30.
Chris Lindstrom would be an outstanding addition at RG. Possibly there at #44.
If they can find a pass rush guy at #12 AND sign a starting caliber free safety in free agency, taking Risner at #30 and Lindstrom at #44 makes a lot of sense. To me anyway.............

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow
Follow @RapSheet

More
The #Browns are giving LT Greg Robinson a 1-year deal worth up to $9M including play-time incentives, source said. $7M base value.

Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
Follow
Follow @SconnieSports

More
Andy Herman Retweeted Ian Rapoport
Yeah pretty sure Bryan Bulaga is still a steal at $8.2 mil this year.

It should be coming into focus why cutting Bulaga is not a good idea.