May 26, 2019, 04:42:06 PM

Author Topic: O line  (Read 6184 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: O line
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2019, 08:55:01 PM »

Michael Cohen

@Michael_Cohen13

LaFleur said the movement ability of offensive linemen is critical in the outside zone scheme. He wants big men who can run and get off the ball quickly. #Packers

Do not see any change in draft appoach here for the Packers, they have always focused on big men who had good movement skills. Heavy legged RT types need not apply.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »

Michael Cohen

@Michael_Cohen13

LaFleur said the movement ability of offensive linemen is critical in the outside zone scheme. He wants big men who can run and get off the ball quickly. #Packers

Do not see any change in draft appoach here for the Packers, they have always focused on big men who had good movement skills. Heavy legged RT types need not apply.

In all our pre-draft conversations regarding who/what to draft for OL, especially OT's, the forgotten man seems to have been Jason Spriggs.

Maybe this outside zone blocking scheme best fits his athletic attributes and he finally finds his groove?!           It would be a nice purprise!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jason-spriggs?id=2555197

Athletic frame with long arms. Comes out of his stance with tremendous quickness and has elite lateral movement. Can get to extremely difficult backside cutoff blocks. Knee bender. As a move blocker, lands squarely in the strike zone and rolls hips and feet under him to to wash down defender or secure a down-block. Shows good patience in space with ability to become solid combination blocker in zone scheme. Looks to finish. Able to adjust his assignments on the fly.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
I'm not too keen on the Alabama OL.  They got manhandled by the Clemson DL, mainly Ferrell.  I wouldn't mind Risner around 30 or early 2nd rd.  MacGregor and Jordan from Ohio State in 4rds 3-4 would be great.  I like Big Ten OL.  Dillard from Washington State in Rd. 2 would be a keeper. McGary from Washington would be a good 3rd'er.  Bobby Evans from Oklahoma would be another good choice in rd. 4.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
...In all our pre-draft conversations regarding who/what to draft for OL, especially OT's, the forgotten man seems to have been Jason Spriggs.

Maybe this outside zone blocking scheme best fits his athletic attributes and he finally finds his groove?!           It would be a nice purprise!

Athletic frame with long arms. Comes out of his stance with tremendous quickness and has elite lateral movement. Can get to extremely difficult backside cutoff blocks. Knee bender. As a move blocker, lands squarely in the strike zone and rolls hips and feet under him to to wash down defender or secure a down-block. Shows good patience in space with ability to become solid combination blocker in zone scheme. Looks to finish. Able to adjust his assignments on the fly.

Yeah, that would be so cool if he emerged as a good player.  I know cheech has talked about the hand-placement outside-vs-inside not having helped him.  Maybe at this point he'd better used to the added weight, and coming in healthy to camp, who knows. 

Still, I admit to my untrained eye, he looks like a typical slow, back-of-the-roster backup lineman.  I don't see any of that great athleticism, tremendous quickness, elite movement, or natural knee-bend stuff based on 4-year-old college tape and written up 3 years ago. 

To some degree, I suspect Spriggs has been victim to the "he needs to add power" syndrome.  Adding the 30 pounds that he needed to have NFL strength I think cost him all that athleticism and quickness that appealed back before he was drafted. 

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
As a side note Cole Madison has been working at LG and at center.   Don't think he has played center before but the more you can do the better your chances of making the team.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »
...In all our pre-draft conversations regarding who/what to draft for OL, especially OT's, the forgotten man seems to have been Jason Spriggs.

Yeah, that would be so cool if he emerged as a good player.  I know cheech has talked about the hand-placement outside-vs-inside not having helped him.  Maybe at this point he'd better used to the added weight, and coming in healthy to camp, who knows. 

Still, I admit to my untrained eye, he looks like a typical slow, back-of-the-roster backup lineman.  I don't see any of that great athleticism, tremendous quickness, elite movement, or natural knee-bend stuff based on 4-year-old college tape and written up 3 years ago. 

To some degree, I suspect Spriggs has been victim to the "he needs to add power" syndrome.  Adding the 30 pounds that he needed to have NFL strength I think cost him all that athleticism and quickness that appealed back before he was drafted.

I think this tweet might put a spotlight on Spriggs a little. Anyone who has played high level sports of any kind knows that if you are thinking to much, you are beat. Elite players are just playing on instinct, thinking slow you down.

Ben Volin

Verified account

@BenVolin
Follow
Follow @BenVolin

More
Ben Volin Retweeted Ben Volin
The Rams concluded in a study that it now takes players 3 years to get the same amount of practice time as it did in 1 year under the old CBA. It’s one reason why the draft isn’t what it used to be.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
One player i have gone off recently is Andre Dillard. it's not that he isn't a good player (he is), but his best spot is LT and no way Bakhtiari is moved.

Dillard doesn't have the run blocking power you want at RT. After some thought I'd much rather go with Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner, Jonah Williams, all of whom would be better in the run game and more suited to RT.

If the Packers wanted a LT, then Dillard would be a great pickup, but it's RT they really want.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
A few interesting OL stats from PFF.

Right tackle Bryan Bulaga has gone 136 straight pass-blocks without allowing a quarterback pressure, which is the longest active streak for all offensive linemen (excluding centers).

Left tackle David Bakhtiari allowed only 25 total pressures (18 hurries, four sacks and three hits) on 691 pass-blocking snaps in 2018. Essentially, he allowed Aaron Rodgers to be under duress only 3.6 percent of the time.

Bakhtiari finished 2018 with the best pass-blocking grade (93.6) among all offensive tackles for the third consecutive year. Overall, Bakhtiari has had five-straight seasons with pass-blocking grades above 85.0.

Packers’ rookie guard/center Elgton Jenkins allowed a quarterback pressure on just 1.4 percent of his pass-blocking snaps at Mississippi State last season. In total, he only allowed five pressures throughout the season. Jenkins figures to be a contender for a starting role at either left or right guard in training camp.

Although he was an undrafted free agent, rookie offensive tackle Yosh Nijman allowed only 12 quarterback pressures and one sack on 639 snaps at Virginia Tech in 2018.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
Those Bulaga stats are pretty cool, RT. 

It seems so many posters are confident he should be left to walk after his contract expires this season.  And perhaps with the massive cap-hit spikes that Smith, Smith, Amos, and Turner will receive after this year, the salary cap will necessitate that he does. 

But I believe his age and his injury history are as familiar to other GM's as they are to Gute, so I don't anticipate him getting a massive or very long-term contract from other teams, any more than he will from us.  Yes, we may be too capped out to extend him.  But I think there's at least a reasonable possibility that in terms of actually playing NFL RT, that Bulaga may still be better two and three seasons from now than Spriggs, or Turner, or Alex Light, or Jenkins.  (I'm not saying that will be true; but it's certainly not implausible that it might remain true.) 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
...Although he was an undrafted free agent, rookie offensive tackle Yosh Nijman allowed only 12 quarterback pressures and one sack on 639 snaps at Virginia Tech in 2018.

I'm struggling to understand the Nijman deal.  I don't know college stats; I take it those stats are supposed to be pretty good, and indicative of pass-blocking success? 

If so, it's hard to reconcile.  If a guy already has a good record as a college pass-blocker, plus he's a physical specimen with great size, decent power, and excellent athleticism, plus he's viewed as having considerable untapped potential, then why wasn't he drafted in the 4th round instead of going UDFA? 

I've got to assume that even if the college pass-blocking stats are relatively favorable, that NFL scouts don't actually believe his pass-blocking was/is actually very good.   Hopefully he'll be a great physical specimen and a guy who is smart and works really hard, and those college stats will end up translating into the NFL. 

The Packers have a reputation for big success with UDFA.  But I think much of that goes back to early TT days, with Jenkins, Tramon, and Shields.  Since Shields, it seems the only quality starter I can think of is Lane Taylor.  Maybe we're due to turn up another quality solid starter!  If so, that would be really, really helpful. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2019, 05:39:04 AM »
Craig, teams miss on guys all the time. Some college players are just coming into their bodies and learning how they should play a position. I'm not saying Ninja Man will be a starter or even make the roster for the Packers. You hear the expression...he'll be a better pro than a college player. Teams/scouts see a guy starting to fill out their bodies and speculate that in a year or two they will have a capability that allows them to play in the NFL. An example of that is Clay Matthews. Linemen in particular take longer to bulk up and become pro ready. So he could be a pro-ready player in a year or two, or he could wash out in TC.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2019, 06:19:15 AM »
...Although he was an undrafted free agent, rookie offensive tackle Yosh Nijman allowed only 12 quarterback pressures and one sack on 639 snaps at Virginia Tech in 2018.

I'm struggling to understand the Nijman deal.  I don't know college stats; I take it those stats are supposed to be pretty good, and indicative of pass-blocking success? 

If so, it's hard to reconcile.  If a guy already has a good record as a college pass-blocker, plus he's a physical specimen with great size, decent power, and excellent athleticism, plus he's viewed as having considerable untapped potential, then why wasn't he drafted in the 4th round instead of going UDFA? 

I've got to assume that even if the college pass-blocking stats are relatively favorable, that NFL scouts don't actually believe his pass-blocking was/is actually very good.   Hopefully he'll be a great physical specimen and a guy who is smart and works really hard, and those college stats will end up translating into the NFL. 

The Packers have a reputation for big success with UDFA.  But I think much of that goes back to early TT days, with Jenkins, Tramon, and Shields.  Since Shields, it seems the only quality starter I can think of is Lane Taylor.  Maybe we're due to turn up another quality solid starter!  If so, that would be really, really helpful.

I agree with you that something doesn't completely add up here. He would not be the first player to ever slip through the cracks and go undrafted, but the piece of the puzzle that dose not fit is he also was not a hot prospect in the UDFA market. The Packers signed him with only a 7K signing bonus, yet they guaranteed Edge rusher Roberts 72K? The market suggests he was not in high demand, some of the other OL that were signed by other teams were Ryan Pope got 165K with the Lions, Iosua Opeta 80K with the Eagles, Tyler Gauthier 70K with the Patriots and how about Alex Bars picking up 40K to sign with the Bears. That is just a few of a very long list of OL alone that received much more to sign elsewhere. Is there a positive drug test on his resume'? Or an undisclosed injury that the public is unaware of? We may never know, but it does seem odd. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:28:41 AM by RT »