November 19, 2018, 10:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Bears game thoughts  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Bears game thoughts
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
Best non signing - Fuller, glad his hands played for the Bears tonight.

Did you see who was laying in the end zone at Cobb's feet - Mack, it was sweet revenge....

The rookie DBs are really good.

Fire who called the plays in the first half and hire who called the plays in the second half. As always the puzzle of 2 McCarthys.

Overconfidence is a bad thing to come out of the half with.

At 136 mil Rodgers is a bargain.

We need Aaron Jones ASAP

Did the Bears offense really look so so ? Sure didn't lead to a ton of points for them.

Maybe Cobb and Perry aren't so bad after all .

Gilbert seemed much more assignment sure than the reserve LBs we have had in the past.

It's always nice to beat the Bears. Way to hang in there Packers!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Bears game thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
All good points nicely done.  thumbsup)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:44:29 PM »
Best non signing - Fuller, glad his hands played for the Bears tonight.

Did you see who was laying in the end zone at Cobb's feet - Mack, it was sweet revenge....

The rookie DBs are really good.

Fire who called the plays in the first half and hire who called the plays in the second half. As always the puzzle of 2 McCarthys.

Overconfidence is a bad thing to come out of the half with.

At 136 mil Rodgers is a bargain.

We need Aaron Jones ASAP

Did the Bears offense really look so so ? Sure didn't lead to a ton of points for them.

Maybe Cobb and Perry aren't so bad after all .

Gilbert seemed much more assignment sure than the reserve LBs we have had in the past.

It's always nice to beat the Bears. Way to hang in there Packers!

Perry literally had one play. The last defensive tackle. Where was he prior?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:51 AM »
It's a good thing #12 has a giant "S", otherwise that game goes the other way.

Why the "vanilla" offense for the first half? It looked like they were playing preseason still. Was MM looking ahead to MN and didn't want to give away too many new wrinkles in the offense?

After the first 2 Bears drives yielded 10 point, Pettines new defense settled in and played pretty good, allowing only 3 more points.
Here's hoping that they get better as they get more comfy playing together.

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
What a game!  Pathetic to Amazing.

Now that i have had the night to think about it I think about it I think the bears had the first 15 or so plays scripted with all the gimmicks.  That seemed to work for a bit and then they just wore down.

Pettine adjusted and the second half was much better.

Fuller catches that pass and today feels completely different. 

Not sure where it goes from here but that quick hitting offense and allowing the receivers to run in space is something I hope that the powers that be learn from it.

Impressed with Reggie Gilbert.  Just makes plays.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
Can't complain with the result, season surely seemed over at the half and I for sure would've not taken the risk to put Rodgers back on the field but this is why I'm not a coach. Still worried about his knee, something was clearly off, says he will play but I'm hoping whatever it is isn't too serious.

The rookie corners played well, Alexander made some really nice tackles, and Jackson a couple times knocked down a couple key passes.

Brice struggled early on, Bears targeted his side early and got some big chunk plays, but he was definitely making a number of plays.

Clay was horrible, that roughing the passer call...some of our players do the same thing where they chase a runner running one direction, over pursue, and that runner changes direction and they get beat. This happened a couple times to Clay, and Ha Ha once as well, need to do a better job at containing those speedy backs like Cohen, and even Trubisky as well.

I'm glad Allison stepped up, hope this continues as we have seen flashes before only for him to go quiet.

Graham needs to be more involved.

Offensive line please stay healthy, thats all, rough first half but they really turned things around.

1-0, good start, Vikings will be even more of a challenge.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
I guess my issue is early in the game, why did it seem that the game plan called for a lot of deep drops by Rodgers instead of some of the quick stuff??  With Bulaga still somewhat a question and everyone knowing Mack was going to be jacked up - why give him the chance to come around the edge??  The second half, because of Rodgers inability to move, the quick stuff became the 1st option and slowed the Bears down. 

I really liked the adjustments at half for the defense.  Something that wouldn't have happened last year.  The Bears threw some crazy things out there early and lot of different looks.  Once things settled in, much better.  And those young db's and Brice deserve a ton of credit.  And Tramom Williams coming up and laying some licks on guys.  Like it. 

And come on Clay!!!  Other than the dumb roughing play - he was invisible.  It almost seemed like he was un-interested at times. 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »
Perry had 4 solos 1 assist 1 sack and 1 forced fumble, far from invisible, the D only gave up 13 which I'll take every game.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Perry had 4 solos 1 assist 1 sack and 1 forced fumble, far from invisible, the D only gave up 13 which I'll take every game.

Ageed, Perry played very well last night.

This not an attempt to be a smart*ss, but if a person stops watching the ball they will get a better grasp of who really is playing well.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
That was one of the worst called games I have seen recently, by Nagy.  Off that performance he should go back to real estate.

When you have a run game that is averaging over five yards per carry, you stay with it, and stay with it, until the defense shows they can stop you.

Both the Bears RB's averaged five yards per run.  And the Bears' interior line was opening up clear rushing lanes up the middle.  Then why did Nagy have his QB keep passing the ball then?

The Bears ran the ball for 20 plays and Trubisky passed the ball 35 times.  But the Bears dinky pass attack, with all those flares and short passes, averaged about as much as their running game.

When you are running the ball that well, you stay with it for three reasons:  1.) It wears down the defense 2.) Most OL like it,  more than pass blocking and 3.) It keeps the opponent's offense on the bench.

I might also add, it looks like the Bears hit the jackpot with Mack.  But the jury is still out on that trade for Trubisky.  They gave up a lot to trade up one spot--which they did not need to do--when they could have stayed where they were and drafted Mahomes or Watson.  Who both look better so far.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »
Here is one person's take on CMIII and his contributions to the Packers the last two years. Who else would like to see him pushed inside, with someone else on the outside? And since this is a contract year for him, what are his odds with being with the team next season? After all, Cobb is also up for renewal. And given the choice...

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-who-is-clay-matthews-112
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
I tend to agree.  It would probably stiffen up our middle run defense.

But then do you move Gilbert to his spot?  He actually looked pretty good.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
Always thought Matthews went off the juice when he signed his last contract.  Has basically disappeared.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Burks can bring to this defense.  Hes a rookie but I think he can add some closing speed to the LBs.  We'll see.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
I tend to agree.  It would probably stiffen up our middle run defense.

But then do you move Gilbert to his spot?  He actually looked pretty good.

I'm in favor of moving CM3 inside. And this is why...............(article is from Dec. 2016)

It's where he had his last decent season playing for GB.

He was A FORCE at ILB! He had a total of 127 tackles and 17.5 sacks over those two seasons [2014-2015] at ILB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/clay-matthews-will-continue-to-play-inside-linebacker/

Matthews is more comfortable playing the outside linebacker position, but he did reach the Pro Bowl the last two season [2014-2015] playing inside. And since the Packers moved Matthews to the inside, they have only allowed 13 points per games compared to the over 30 points per game when he missed three consecutive games with a hamstring injury.

If anyone is nervous about having Gilbert start, then Gutey should go out and sign SFA John Simon. Jet's were sniffing around him earlier this week. GB needs to do their due diligence at OLB.

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

Ageed, Perry played very well last night.

This not an attempt to be a smart*ss, but if a person stops watching the ball they will get a better grasp of who really is playing well.

I guess you were watching the ball too much because Perry was mediocre vs. CHI. Shinesman, PFF and I all agree.

EDGE grades/rankings:

Matthews  29.9 / 95th
Perry        49.5 / 83rd
Gilbert      68.9 / 28th

Matthews stunk on ice. Everybody saw that. Perry wasn't much of factor either, but considering he's hardly played this preseason, that was to be expected. He'll improve. Gilbert was the best performer, that was obvious. All those grades make sense.

Some other grades of interest:

CB:
Jackson        78.6 / 10th       
Alexander     76.2 / 18th
Williams        68.1 / 44th
King             53.0 / 80th

OL:
Bakhtiari        84.1 / 2nd
Bulaga           58.8 / 48th
Taylor            66.6 / 19th
McCray          68.4 / 14th
Linsley           59.8 / 22nd