November 20, 2018, 04:23:27 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Vikings v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 1747 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Vikings v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
One game, one big win against a hated rival. This week? Another hated rival. Only this is a team that has genuine, legitimate SB hopes. Actually, both teams do. So, fasten your seatbelts, its going to be a bumpy ride. This is going to be a tough game. The Vikings defense may be the best in the league, and their offense is very good. Though I still have this nagging feeling that Cousins just doesn't have "it". That undefinable quality that separates the very good from the great. So, which Packers team will show up? The raggedymuffins that lollygagged through the first half? Or the tough, dedicated warriors who overcame nearly impossible odds to pull off a great victory? Be ready for another rollercoaster of a game. And hopefully, a second win over a division rival.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Vikings v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow Follow @RobDemovsky
More
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is preparing to face Aaron Rodgers. "He walks on water so I'm sure he's going to play," he said on a conference call with reporters at Lambeau Field.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
McCarthy says "as of today" #Packers WR Randall Cobb will be the punt returner. Would think rookie Jaire Alexander might factor into the role at some point this season, but Cobb the guy right now.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
The decision on Rodgers playing will be a medical decision. They're going to count head, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, and if they get to five he's playing.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Not knowing the severity of Rodgers injury, I've got some real concerns going into this one.   No question, the Vikings are coming after Rodgers.  A much better defense than Chicago.  The Packers are going to have to spread the Vikings out.   3 and 4 WR sets, with quick reads allowing Rodgers to get rid of it quickly.  Depending on his knee, I would not hesitate to sit Rodgers if need be.  Big game, but we can afford to lose this game to keep Rodgers playing down the road.   Again, it depends on how severe his injury is, recovery time, risk of further injury after swelling. 

Dalvin Cook receiving out of the backfield is a huge matchup problem for Green Bay.  Pettine will have his work cut out for him this week.

Rodgers and DeVante Adams not on the practice field this morning.           
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:41:26 AM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
Not knowing the severity of Rodgers injury, I've got some real concerns going into this one.   No question, the Vikings are coming after Rodgers.  A much better defense than Chicago.  The Packers are going to have to spread the Vikings out.   3 and 4 WR sets, with quick reads allowing Rodgers to get rid of it quickly.  Depending on his knee, I would not hesitate to sit Rodgers if need be.  Big game, but we can afford to lose this game to keep Rodgers playing down the road.   Again, it depends on how severe his injury is, recovery time, risk of further injury after swelling. 

Dalvin Cook receiving out of the backfield is a huge matchup problem for Green Bay.  Pettine will have his work cut out for him this week.

I could actually see them assign Jackson or Alexander to cover Dalvin Cook this game.............some sort of specialized "dime" package. Jackson was assinged to cover Bears TE, Trey Burton, on Sunday and he shut him down.

twocents)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
I'm really not ready for this game against MN.

I haven't had time to recharge my De-Fib unit from last weekend.  hysterical

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »

I could actually see them assign Jackson or Alexander to cover Dalvin Cook this game.............some sort of specialized "dime" package. Jackson was assinged to cover Bears TE, Trey Burton, on Sunday and he shut him down.

twocents)

You might see Alex on Diggs, King on Thielan, and Jackson on Rudolph.  As you say, they could spy Jackson on Cook.  Down the road you might be able put Burk on the TE.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
More
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is preparing to face Aaron Rodgers. "He walks on water so I'm sure he's going to play," he said on a conference call with reporters at Lambeau Field.

Hard to know if Zimmer was being facetious or serious ( walk on water), but he’s smart to prep for Rodgers.  Both Kizer and Rodgers actually.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Heard a guy from Wisconsin call in to sports talk radio and say that if the Packers sit Rodgers, they are effectively forfeiting the game. Agree totally. But at the same time, MM and Philbin need to keep the game uptempo, shorter timing passes, rather than those slower developing plays where the receiver is expected to beat the coverage. No huddle, keep the Vikes defense on the field so they are limited in subbing.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »
Heard a guy from Wisconsin call in to sports talk radio and say that if the Packers sit Rodgers, they are effectively forfeiting the game. Agree totally. But at the same time, MM and Philbin need to keep the game uptempo, shorter timing passes, rather than those slower developing plays where the receiver is expected to beat the coverage. No huddle, keep the Vikes defense on the field so they are limited in subbing.

Agree, that's what they need to do regardless of the QB.  To protect Rodgers knee and Kizers inexperience in the system against a tough defense.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
I would not object to that. Because its so early in the year.

Its  a tactical retreat now for a strategic advantage later.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:49:13 PM by Gregg »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
Official word this morning is that Rodgers will start today.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:45:44 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky

Aaron Rodgers didn't come out for any warmups before the inactive list game out but he's officially active. Here are the Packers inactives:

WR Equanimeous St. Brown
S Josh Jones
S Raven Greene
CB Deante Burton
LB Oren Burks
T/G Alex Light
WR J'Mon Moore
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:52:27 AM by RT »