October 16, 2018, 12:32:45 AM

Author Topic: Josh Gordon  (Read 662 times)

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Josh Gordon
« on: September 15, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Not sure if this goes under Packer news - but the Browns have informed Josh Gordon that he will either be traded by Monday or released if no trade can be worked out.  So, you know the question that needs to be asked.  Sources are reporting that teams already have called the Browns with interest.  Are the Packers one of those teams??  The teams have already did one trade and with all of the familiar people involved, it isn't like there is a lot of un-known in the front offices.  Gordon would become a free agent and not go to waivers, so he could go anywhere. 

With all of that being said - Gordon's history has been well documented and he would be a huge risk.  But, he is a minimum salary guy and when right - as talented a WR as anyone in the league. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Josh Gordon
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
I don't see it happening.  Gordon is a guy who keeps GMs up at night.  Where is he at?, whats he doing tonight?, will he get suspended again?  I don't think you bring that  into the lockeroom.    Do you think Rodgers would ever build a trust in him?    Im sure Kizer knows him, but hes not worth the trouble.   You don't bring in someone like that in front of a developing WR group IMO.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
Highly doubtful the Packers would have any interest in him. Dallas or Seattle seem like the perfect landing spots for such a dysfunctional individual.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »
There was a time when the thought of adding Gordon to the Packers would have been a dream come true. Not any more. At his point, I believe that Josh Gordon needs to get his life under control. Apparently, the last strow for the Browns, who have been extremely supportive and understanding of this extremely troubled, and extremely talented young man, came when he appeared to be under the influence at the team facilities: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/15/report-browns-thought-josh-gordon-was-not-himself-on-saturday/

If this latest report is correct, Gordon has been unable to beat his addiction. This is a sad and terrible thing. This after stints in rehab, support from the team and teammates, and literally millions of reasons to get clean. To me, this is going to end very badly. He'll end up broke and dead at an early age. So much talent, so much promise, so much waste. But there is only so much anyone can do. Because the road to help is first admitting you have a problem.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
What a pitiful situation.

This kid has one of the highest upsides of any WR in the NFL. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:13:12 AM »

This kid has had one of the highest upsides of any WR in the NFL.

I think his boat has sailed, and he missed it.

Isn't he one strike away from a permanent ban?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »

This kid has had one of the highest upsides of any WR in the NFL.

I think his boat has sailed, and he missed it.

Isn't he one strike away from a permanent ban?

Yep. And apparently three teams are in the running for a trade with Cleveland. Two NFC, one AFC. Cowboys, anyone? Or New England?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
 3m3 minutes ago
More
The #Patriots are getting close on a deal for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, source said. Not official yet but headed that way.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
A done deal, a fifth rounder for Gordon. I truly with him the best, except when he plays the Packers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/report-patriots-send-fifth-round-pick-for-josh-gordon/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:41:14 PM by ricky »

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
Watch this turn into a new Randy Moss deal.

BB is really good at these salvage jobs.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »
Just had a thought about the Gordon situation. What if he forced his way out of Cleveland? After all, he claimed to have injured his hamstring at a photo shoot, which is strange to begin with, then shows up at the Browns facility acting strange. Emphasis on acting. What if (and here is where the speculation begins), he looked at the Browns, saw them as bottom dwellers for the immediate future. That he knew he'd be stuck there at low NFL pay and be forced to play for a losing team with second rate or rookie QB's. That he decided "Enough is enough; I've worked to get clean, only to have to labor for a loser for years? I'd rather act like a jerk, and get sent to a team that at least has a chance at the playoffs." And he ends up in NE. Where he can help the team to another SB. Mike McKenzie did this a few years ago in GB. Not exactly the same situation, but very similar tactics.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
Just had a thought about the Gordon situation. What if he forced his way out of Cleveland? After all, he claimed to have injured his hamstring at a photo shoot, which is strange to begin with, then shows up at the Browns facility acting strange. Emphasis on acting. What if (and here is where the speculation begins), he looked at the Browns, saw them as bottom dwellers for the immediate future. That he knew he'd be stuck there at low NFL pay and be forced to play for a losing team with second rate or rookie QB's. That he decided "Enough is enough; I've worked to get clean, only to have to labor for a loser for years? I'd rather act like a jerk, and get sent to a team that at least has a chance at the playoffs." And he ends up in NE. Where he can help the team to another SB. Mike McKenzie did this a few years ago in GB. Not exactly the same situation, but very similar tactics.

Conspiracy Theories abound!!

Maybe he thought he'd look better in the red/white/blue of the PATS, instead of CLEV diahrea brown.
But then again he could have been traded to the red/white/blue of BUF just as easily!  ::)
 facepalm)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

I think you are half right. This is from Browns writer Mary Jo Cabot's article on monday;

Sources say Gordon has been hurting financially and that he owes people money. It's well-documented that he's embroiled in a bitter child support battle with Christina Lockhart, the mother of his 3-year-old daughter. If Gordon is in a financial jam, the quickest way out is a new deal complete with a big signing bonus.

It appears to have been an attempt to get released for a chance at a signing bonus with a new team. Money, not winning was the main thing on his mind and this trade really didn't help him in the short term.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
I think you are half right. This is from Browns writer Mary Jo Cabot's article on monday;

Sources say Gordon has been hurting financially and that he owes people money. It's well-documented that he's embroiled in a bitter child support battle with Christina Lockhart, the mother of his 3-year-old daughter. If Gordon is in a financial jam, the quickest way out is a new deal complete with a big signing bonus.

It appears to have been an attempt to get released for a chance at a signing bonus with a new team. Money, not winning was the main thing on his mind and this trade really didn't help him in the short term.

Any scenario is better than a relapse into substance abuse. Besides, if he has a good year with NE, he could become a FA again next year, with more suitors willing to pay him more. In any case, I'm glad that at this point, the future looks at least a little brighter for Gordon.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Christina Lockhart wants $6,700 per month.

To put this into perspective, Parkland school cop Scot Peterson gets $8,702 a month in retirement for refusing to enter the building while there was sounds of gunfire.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!