October 16, 2018, 01:12:37 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Washington Game Day Thread  (Read 1564 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Washington Game Day Thread
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
First road game, first non-divisional matchup. Apparently something is happening in Washington, as the games are not selling out anymore. Apparently people finally realized what a football moron little Danny Snyder is, and that he couldn't put together a winning team if he was suddenly given the entire Patriots organization. Just another example of a rich guy who doesn't know how to handle responsibility in a different area of life. Still, I can't help but think that either this game will be a rout, or the Packers will have a mini-meltdown and have one of those "WTH" games. They have shown they can score on tough defenses, and have the guts to hang in after things seem hopeless. Now, all they have to do is remember that you can't tackle the QB, and everything should be OK.

My goodness, I forgot they get Aaron Jones back this week. Also, just saw this from CheeseheadTV, and liked the optimiism:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-packers-offense-is-primed-to-burst-open-237
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:19:15 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Washington Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
The tie with Minnesota is a blessing in regards to this weeks game. If the Packers would of won sunday the Redskins game would of been a dangerous trap game for them. This game will still be a hard fought game, the Redskins are a better team than most want to give credit and they also will be eager to get the taste of the Colts lose out of their mouths.

Historically the Packers have struggled in D.C. with few wins to show for their trips east. The last trip ended in a 42-24 *ss kicking laid on by the Redskins in a game that was close to a must win game for the Packers. After that game Rodgers made his 'I feel like we can run the table' comment and they needed to and they did.

In the previous regular season game before that in D.C. was in 2010. The Packers entered the game as a 3 point favorite, the same as this weeks line and the Packers dropped that one 16-13 in OT. This one was a game that the Packers should of won, but MM was badly out coached by Shanahan. MM refused to run the ball in that game even with the lead and Washington playing 6 DB's most of the game. Brandon Jackson run for 115 yards on only 10 carries, John Kuhn added 3 carries. Holding the lead the whole game until Washington tied the game with a FG with 1:11 to play, yet MM could only see to run the ball 13 times. For the record the Packers amassed 157 yards rushing that day.

I believe the Packers will find a way to get the W on sunday, but it will not be an easy one. Hopefully they can keep improving on both sides of the ball and avoid injuries this week.

Go Pack Go! 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:08:59 AM by RT »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
McCarthy on #Packers CB Kevin King's groin injury: "I think he's going to be hard pressed to play this week." McCarthy said he hopes King's recovery timeline is short term, but that's not a good sign.

Hopefully 37 gets the call in his place and not 31.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow Follow @ByRyanWood
More
McCarthy on #Packers CB Kevin King's groin injury: "I think he's going to be hard pressed to play this week." McCarthy said he hopes King's recovery timeline is short term, but that's not a good sign.

Hopefully 37 gets the call in his place and not 31.

They still might need House in certain personnel packages. The problem on that long TD to Diggs was that House was assigned to MN's fastest WR. Just make sure he's not on the fastest guy and he can be, at least, serviceable.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
He won't be the featured running back on Sunday, but watch for Aaron Jones to get a fair share of snaps.

He started clicking with Rodgers at QB, the game before Rodgers got hurt.

That game was @ DAL and Jones went off for 125 yds/19 carries (6.6/carry).

From what I have read is that WASH has been weak against the pass. Luck carved them up last weekend, so I would guess, with Rodgers coming to town they may try to place extra emphasis on pass defense which could open up some serious opportunities fo the running game and Jones is a big play waiting to happen kind of player.

twocents)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
Not sure how much craving Luck did (21-31 for 179 yards and 2 INT's, QB rating of 77.2), didn't see the game, but that is a fair defensive effort numbers wise on any given sunday. As I said I did not watch the game and maybe Luck made all the clutch plays when his team needed him to, but on the surface his numbers were not great.

Listening to Gruden talk to the Packers media today and it sounded like he is expecting to see a good amount of Aaron Jones on sunday.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »
They still might need House in certain personnel packages. The problem on that long TD to Diggs was that House was assigned to MN's fastest WR. Just make sure he's not on the fastest guy and he can be, at least, serviceable.

On that TD, House should have (was supposed to have?) safety coverage over the top. Instead, Brice was on the other side of the field, watching Alexander and Clinton-Dix. Blaming House for this is unfair, IMO. It was a coverage mistake.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
Not sure how much craving Luck did (21-31 for 179 yards and 2 INT's, QB rating of 77.2), didn't see the game, but that is a fair defensive effort numbers wise on any given sunday. As I said I did not watch the game and maybe Luck made all the clutch plays when his team needed him to, but on the surface his numbers were not great.

Listening to Gruden talk to the Packers media today and it sounded like he is expecting to see a good amount of Aaron Jones on sunday.

OK, carving might have a been a bit of an over-statement. But McGinn had these two tidbits...........
"The Redskins (1-1) permitted Andrew Luck to drive the Colts 75 yards in 11 plays for an opening touchdown. It set the tone for a sluggish performance"
"Andrew Luck, who is still feeling his way back, played well last week"

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:23:08 AM »

My goodness, I forgot they get Aaron Jones back this week. Also, just saw this from CheeseheadTV, and liked the optimiism:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-packers-offense-is-primed-to-burst-open-237

One thing that wasn't talked about much, was the quality of protection Montgomery and Williams gave to AR. It wasn't long ago that RBs couldn't do a decent job protecting the QB. Now, Mongomery has improved at it and Williams is looking very good. They both know this is key to seeing the field more, and will get plenty of snaps, even after Jones comes back.

Aaron Jones has moves like Jagger, but expect that backfield to be more like Cerberus, a three headed hound from Hell.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:40:34 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »

OK, carving might have a been a bit of an over-statement. But McGinn had these two tidbits...........
"The Redskins (1-1) permitted Andrew Luck to drive the Colts 75 yards in 11 plays for an opening touchdown. It set the tone for a sluggish performance"
"Andrew Luck, who is still feeling his way back, played well last week"
[/quote

Hopefully by the end of the game on sunday Rodgers has done enough craving that we all think we are at Thanksgiving dinner. With the DL adding a large helping of stuffing of course. :)

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
One thing that wasn't talked about much, was the quality of protection Montgomery and Williams gave to AR. It wasn't long ago that RBs couldn't do a decent job protecting the QB. Now, Mongomery has improved at it and Williams is looking very good. They both know this is key to seeing the field more, and will get plenty of snaps, even after Jones comes back....

Yes, excellent points.  Hopefully Jones will block well and it won't be a separator. 

But the Packers are going nowhere without Rodgers and a high-end passing-game.  With Rodgers a relatively lame statue in the pocket, teams will have the luxury of rushing him hard.  MM will be reluctant to compromise much on pass-blocking.  Will be interesting to see how much, if any, playing time Jones gets. 

It's always a case of staff-evaluations, of course.  But I suspect the blocking is higher priority to MM than the running.  (Think we saw this on Sunday; Ty averaged over 6 ypc, and actually blocked well.  Williams averaged only 3.6 but got double the snaps.) 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 10:04:26 PM »
This game will again boil down to MM out coaching himself. Can he get it in his game plan that the passes must come out quick? Or will we see the longer developing plays leaving his franchise signal caller out for a clock cleaning. He was hit way to many times last week for a guy who is one bad tweak away from ending his season. When Rodgers took over playcalling the bears game he played from the shotgun and eliminated the dropbacks to create passing efficiency. Why not go with it?

On defense, can we stop this terrible zone coverage? It made Cousins almost seem worth his horrendous deal. So many times there were packers standing 3 yards on either side of a guy settling in on a route, you have to close before the throw and take the pass away and allow the rush to get home. Instead many of the guys in zone are flat footed waiting for the ball to hit the air before moving. That will give up completions more often than not.

Anyone else worried about king being a guys who is always injured? When he plays, he is solid, when he plays, he also ends up injured. Hoping it's been flukes, but he seems to be made of something softer than most.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
Kevin is 23, 6-2, 179. The hope would be he grows into his body and bulks up 10-15 pounds, then is a bit more durable.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
Somehow, and it seems like we have said this for years, some type of run game has to show up.  30 carries for the RB's, control the clock, and get after Alex Smith for me is the recipe for a win. 

I am also concerned about King.  He needs to stay on the field and that is something he has not done.  And, I also am up on dumping the swiss cheese zone coverage and lets get up in someones face.  I thought Dom's ideas left the booth after last year.  Come on Mike, lets get after people and force some mistakes.  Jordan Reed worries me if we allow him to run through the middle of the field and find the holes of the zone. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
Kevin is 23, 6-2, 179. The hope would be he grows into his body and bulks up 10-15 pounds, then is a bit more durable.

You may want to fact check the 6-2 and 179.