December 15, 2018, 09:55:22 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Washington Game Day Thread  (Read 2058 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Washington Game Day Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Let's add in the sack by Daron Payne where he damn near suplexed Rodgers on his head.... no flag.

The inconsistency is maddening. But on the bright side, the Vikes got their butts handed to them by Buffalo, and join the Packers and Cleveland at 1-1-1. Seriously weird. Apparently both teams were really affected by their game against each other last weekend. Oh, and on the play where Wilson was "roughed", the announcers were loud and clear on calling out the league for their new rule. The pressure is building. Expect Goodell to do something really stupid in the next few days to make things even worse. Whether its tripling down, or redefining the emphasis, or something else that will only piss off more people. Seriously, Goodell has to go. He is the worst commissioner I can remember, and my memory goes back to Bert Bell, and the great Pete Rozelle.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
Apparently AP wasn't told that our defensive line is the strength of out team.

You really enjoy it when the Packers aren't doing well, don't you? Hoping that Rodgers was hurt so bad he wouldn't be able to return in the Bears game? Gloating about the defense not doing well when they held Washingon in check the second half, and the offense let them down again and again. Get rid of Cobb because he's having a bad game. Are you sure you're a fan? Because when they were coming back against the Bears, your suddenly couldn't find you keyboard. But when they're were doing poorly? You're in your glory. I realize I shouldn't attack another poster, but your continued negativity, and the apparently joy it gives you, is really, really annoying.

First, let me say the AP comment wasn't a slam of our D-Line, which is very good, but a tip of the hat to AP and his greatness.  I admit I get spun up at times, but don't read into the times I'm not.

I am a fan, some 40 years now, raised my kids to be fans. I'm a respectful poster who doesn't use fowl language or call anyone out.  But, yes, I get emotional during games, always have, probably always will.  I sorta view Packerchatters as a safe space, as they say, to vent among friends when things go awry. If a fella can't vent here, what's the use of a community?

Like my 14-year-old daughter often says, "life isn't always princesses, rainbows, sparkles, glitter, sunshine, and unicorns."

But I will try to find a few more sparkles and unicorns during these bad games going forward.

(ps, I don't expect you will believe me, but the Rodgers injury thing was a throw-away comment I regretted as soon as I said it.  In fact, a point of emphasis with my kids, to use football parlance, was that you never, ever celebrate any injury to any player to any team in football.)

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »
The refs called three more penalties on Green Bay on the way to the locker room just to be safe

Well, that didn't take long. The league has "weighed in" on the Matthews penalty via Twitter. Its time for Goodell to be shown the door. He is a disaster. Ever since the Ray Rice incident, Goodell has shown he has no idea how to be a leader, or even how to handle a difficult situation. The league rules are rapidly becoming more and more difficult to understand. They finally seem to solve what a catch is; now, they don't know how a QB should be tackled- at least if the tackler is Clay Matthews. Watching Cowboys/Seahawks, and another flag on a sack, which looked like it was just a good, solid hit. Seriously, once the QB is in the grasp of a defender, OR appears like he is likelly to be sacked, blow the play dead.
It would be ridiculous, as QBs like Rodgers or Wilson or Newton or Roethlisberger are likely to either get away or be able to throw the ball even in the grasp, but at least there would be more consistency. Ugh.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/23/nfl-gets-clay-matthews-for-body-weight-violation/

Yeah, if you can’t tackle a QB without a penalty now, they need to be two hand touch and the play is dead immediately which means no more QBs escaping sacks. It’ll ruin the game but be consistent. I’m not sanguine the refs will be consistent even then. They seem incapable of that

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »
About CM 3, I agree that this was a chippie call.

But does this not stem from the Barr AR hit from last year?  Recall AR turning and cursing Barr after as he walked off the field.

At the time I said I wish he had not done that.

But these calls on CM 3 are kind of fruity.  I mean they are hard to maintain to any standard, and they are also almost impossible to play with unless you just want the sacker to wrap him up in his arms and not throw him down.

I agree that good ole Roger made it all worse.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »
Listened to the Larrivee/McCarren radio call, and it was still tough even though I didn’t have the visual. The Packers just weren’t ready to play. 10 penalties, including at least one that nullified a nice return by Cobb, several lousy long snaps, drops by Cobb, Kendricks, and Adams, and more.

The call against Clay, which I watched afterward, was awful. I personally don’t recall ever seeing a “roughing” call when the QB is still holding the ball on a sack. As Matthews said after the game, “It was a football play.”
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:08:32 PM by JQ »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
Well, its official. Clay Matthews (at least) can't sack the QB. Whether anyone else can remains to be seen. But the NFL has just "triple downed" on their QB protection emphasis/rule. The Matthews hit was "textbook roughing the passer". Which means that the QB can't be grasped, thrown down, fallen on, or even have his feeling hurt. And, yes, this rule was put in place because of the Barr hit on Rodgers. Just as the "diving at the QB's knees" rule was put in after Brady was put out for the season. But right now, you can't hit the QB low, to protect their knees (I'm actually OK with that); can't hit them in the head (ditto); but now you can't hit them in the midsection? Or put any weight on them while tackling them? This is literally physically impossible. QB's will quickly learn that to get a roughing call, simply jump off the ground while being tackled, and there will automatically be a flag. When I wrote about whistling the play dead when the QB was in the grasp, or seemed he was about to be sacked, that was only half joking. The NFL is trying to be safer. The concussion rules are good. But this is nonsense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/23/nfl-clay-matthews-hit-on-alex-smith-is-textbook-roughing-the-passer/

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »
Two posts in a row? Different subjects, so please bear with me. While we bemoan how bad the Packers looked against Washington (2-1), lets take a look at what Minnesota did at home against Buffalo (1-2, and totally dominated their first two games). The Vikes lost. No, I'll rephrase that in favor of Mike Zimmer's analysis of the outcome: Minny got their butts kicked. Badly. Completely. In an embarrassing fashion. The refs didn't need to make bad calls. The Vikes on Sunday were terrible. But let PFT detail the shellacking:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/23/mike-zimmer-we-didnt-take-bills-lightly-they-kicked-our-butts/

So, should Zimmer be fired? Should the team be dismantled? Does their defense suck? Or do we just chalk this up to an anomaly, "one of those games." Because both teams that fought so hard last week for 70 minutes came out this week slow and unprepared. One team rallied in the second half, and were partially derailed by the refs (again). The other team just stunk. The entire game. No second half comeback. No signs of life. So, this is not to excuse the play of the Packers the first half, but they came to play the second half. So, I'll look it as a glass half-full. Meanwhile, the Bears are now atop the division. And that really, really sucks. But in 13 weeks, who is going to recall this game? Its a long season. Fasten your seat belts, we're in for a bumpy season. And as always,

Never give up!

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2018, 07:59:14 PM »
About CM 3, I agree that this was a chippie call.

But does this not stem from the Barr AR hit from last year?  Recall AR turning and cursing Barr after as he walked off the field.

At the time I said I wish he had not done that.

But these calls on CM 3 are kind of fruity.  I mean they are hard to maintain to any standard, and they are also almost impossible to play with unless you just want the sacker to wrap him up in his arms and not throw him down.

I agree that good ole Roger made it all worse.

The league has claimed both weeks that Matthews' tackles would have been penalties last year and were not due to the new rule which is obvious BS. The Barr play was well after the ball was thrown and was already a penalty. The NFL blew the call last year, doubled down on the error, and now has gone all in making everything worse. The rule was never for routine tackles of the QB but for unnecessary hits after the ball was thrown. Considering these are the same halfwits that screwed up the horse collar and catch rules, this won't get fixed any time soon.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »
Two posts in a row? Different subjects, so please bear with me. While we bemoan how bad the Packers looked against Washington (2-1), lets take a look at what Minnesota did at home against Buffalo (1-2, and totally dominated their first two games). The Vikes lost. No, I'll rephrase that in favor of Mike Zimmer's analysis of the outcome: Minny got their butts kicked. Badly. Completely. In an embarrassing fashion. The refs didn't need to make bad calls. The Vikes on Sunday were terrible. But let PFT detail the shellacking:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/23/mike-zimmer-we-didnt-take-bills-lightly-they-kicked-our-butts/

So, should Zimmer be fired? Should the team be dismantled? Does their defense suck? Or do we just chalk this up to an anomaly, "one of those games." Because both teams that fought so hard last week for 70 minutes came out this week slow and unprepared. One team rallied in the second half, and were partially derailed by the refs (again). The other team just stunk. The entire game. No second half comeback. No signs of life. So, this is not to excuse the play of the Packers the first half, but they came to play the second half. So, I'll look it as a glass half-full. Meanwhile, the Bears are now atop the division. And that really, really sucks. But in 13 weeks, who is going to recall this game? Its a long season. Fasten your seat belts, we're in for a bumpy season. And as always,

Never give up!

Does Zimmer have about 6 years straight of poor defensive efforts? Or does his offense seem to stagger out of the gate about 70% of the time? No. This isnt even comparable. People didnt come for MM until about 4 years into the current status quo. If that's an anamoly (years of poor performance) than I'd hate to see what you consider consistent.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
I really wish  that in a future game when GB is either way ahead or behind in the last quarter, CM 3 gets an easy shot at a QB.

He stops one step short, hits him with two hands, turns to the ref and says, "Is he down now?"

That would make a highlight on every sports show in America.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:14 AM »
I believe their was some lasting effects from playing a 70 minute OT battle again the Vikings the week before and it took its toll on both teams yesterday. It is the NFL and it is not who you play, but when you play them that matters. Any given sunday.