October 16, 2018, 01:48:02 AM

Author Topic: Announcing Crews  (Read 120 times)

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Announcing Crews
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
After watching the first two weeks of the season, and I am lucky to have the NFL Ticket - I am not real impressed with many of the TV crews doing the games.  Sunday night is great with Michaels and Collinsworth.  Far and away the best crew.  The new Monday night crew of Tessitore and Witten weren't really very good last week and Bugger just seems to kind of be in the way.  He is kind of like the annoying uncle at the dinner table.  Tessitore is great doing boxing, but he just kind of sounds out of place.  I really think it is a step back from McDonnough and Gruden.  Witten is too fast at times and talks like he is on sideline.  Too much player talk and not enough analysis. 

Nantz and Romo aren't bad.  I kind of like Romo and his ability to kind of tell the game as it is going.  He sees alignments and calls things out and he is usually right.  The guys that have been around continue to be who they are - Fouts, Spielman, Gannon, Moose Johnston, Trent Green.  Not bad and do decent jobs. 

But, some are really bad.  Bruce Arians is really bad.  Sometimes he makes no sense and at times is hard to understand as he kind of mumbles.  Greg Jennings doesn't add much to the broadcast.  And the team of the Barber brothers may be good in thought, but it really doesn't work as they don't play off of each other very well.  James Lofton struggles at times. 

I typically don't mind Charles Davis, but he seemed to gush over and over about Kirk Counsins yesterday.  How many times did he talk about just how fabulous Counsins was playing?  And Burkhardt, the play by play guy,  had to be driving Cousins to the airport after the game.  He couldn't get out how great he was fast enough. 

And,Buck and Aikman.  Like most, I am not a fan.  FOX maybe should start to re-think that top crew.  Right now, though, I don't know if they have a #1 crew. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Announcing Crews
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Tune into a local radio station that broadcasts the game online. Then, listen to those guys while watching the game. It can be a bit weird, because there is a short delay on the radio broadcasts, but you get good announcers who know the teams intimately. The problem, of course, is that a lot of these guys tend to be hired by the team, so there is more boosterism.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid