December 18, 2018, 01:30:10 PM

Author Topic: Offensive line help  (Read 912 times)

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
Offensive line help
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
If AR gets good pass protection we will dominate. Although Spriggs may be a viable backup he is clearly not contending for a starting position. I’d love to see a trade for a journeyman offensive lineman who would be a contender to start. We need a talent infusion to enhance and ensure a formidible offensive line!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Offensive line help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
If AR gets good pass protection we will dominate. Although Spriggs may be a viable backup he is clearly not contending for a starting position. I’d love to see a trade for a journeyman offensive lineman who would be a contender to start. We need a talent infusion to enhance and ensure a formidible offensive line!

You mean like Jahri Evans? Seriously, who would you suggest?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
While the problem seems clear I can only hope that our scouting dept has someonein mind.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
Welcome to the PC Forums Premontre1969.

Premontre1964 here.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
I don't believe that the Packers are even a little concerned about the depth on the OL. Barring a rash of injuries they are fine as they are now.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »
I don't believe that the Packers are even a little concerned about the depth on the OL. Barring a rash of injuries they are fine as they are now.

Through two weeks the franchise man has been hit an awful lot.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »

Has he really been hit anymore than most other QB's? Considering that the starting OLinemen didn't play at all together in the preseason, a little rust to start should of been expected. Combine that with facing two of the top front sevens in the NFL to start the season and I believe the results are about what I thought they would be. Barring injuries they will continue to jell as a unit.   

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »

Has he really been hit anymore than most other QB's? Considering that the starting OLinemen didn't play at all together in the preseason, a little rust to start should of been expected. Combine that with facing two of the top front sevens in the NFL to start the season and I believe the results are about what I thought they would be. Barring injuries they will continue to jell as a unit.

It's more than rust. He has been getting destroyed back there.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »

"Destroyed" may be a bit strong. Here are the QB sack stats for the NFL. Rodgers is tied for eighth most sacked QB with several other QB's. So, not good, but then again, he's playing on one leg, which limits his ability to avoid sacks and/or run for yardage, which he has done so effectively in the past. Should the OL do more? Sure. Should the coaching staff call quicker developing plays so the OL doesn't have to block for longer periods of time? Absolutely. Should AR just throw the ball away if he thinks he's going to be sacked? Yes. So, who is to blame? I vote for "All of the Above".

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:57:18 PM by ricky »

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »

"Destroyed" may be a bit strong. Here are the QB sack stats for the NFL. Rodgers is tied for eighth most sacked QB with several other QB's. So, not good, but then again, he's playing on one leg, which limits his ability to avoid sacks and/or run for yardage, which he has done so effectively in the past. Should the OL do more? Sure. Should the coaching staff call quicker developing plays so the OL doesn't have to block for longer periods of time? Absolutely. Should AR just throw the ball away if he thinks he's going to be sacked? Yes. So, who is to blame? I vote for "All of the Above".

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

You cant just throw it away inside the pocket. And how many times has he been hit, not just sacked.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »
You cant just throw it away inside the pocket. And how many times has he been hit, not just sacked.

Sure you can. Happens all the time. Throw the ball near a receiver, but a few yards above his head in his general vicinity. To protect the QB, the refs seldom call intentional grounding in that situation. It has to be really obvious- like no receiver within ten yards of where the ball is thrown.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »

Ponder this. Offensive linemen (especially tackles) are always, always, in acute demand, because there are never enough good ones available. That means most teams are in a scramble for anyone even vaguely good to fill their roster.......and THAT means there is nothing of any quality available unless there is someone that 31 other GMs have completely missed on - not that likely. To finalise my point, I'll just mention that Marshall Newhouse (yes, that Newhouse) was just traded (TRADED !) from the Bills to the Panthers. If he is going to be a starter, what are their backups like ?

You want better O line play - look to the draft to upgrade.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »
^ this.

Help is not coming.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!