December 11, 2018, 03:05:43 AM

Author Topic: Didn't change offence  (Read 757 times)

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
Didn't change offence
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
This offence looks just like the last ten years. Nothing has changed, at least in my eyes. There is no ingenuity , it seems like the same tired plays as before. Maybe somebody here with more knowledge of x's and o's can show me I'm wrong.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Didn't change offence
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
This offence looks just like the last ten years. Nothing has changed, at least in my eyes. There is no ingenuity , it seems like the same tired plays as before. Maybe somebody here with more knowledge of x's and o's can show me I'm wrong.

What would you like to see? As opposed to what you're seeing now.

This year, if a couple of penalties aren't called and a couple of big plays go their way your perception would be a lot different.

Just as a point of reference: Look at the best QBs in the last 20 years. What do they all have in common? They ALL ran the same system for the entirety of their NFL careers.

I believe you're confusing scheme and philosophy. I am fairly critical of McCarthy's philosophy when it comes to how the offense is run. He wants to go for chunk plays and big plays rather than dinking and dunking it down the field. Too often it leads to them being down early and playing from behind. Even worse it really puts the offense in a hole on 3rd down, which has faced way too many 3rd and longs over the years.

Against the Redskins the offense just missed a ton of opportunities. The plays they called worked and they even ran the ball well. The defense was terrible in the first half and the offense couldn't get it together.

All in all, this is the start to a season we've come to expect from this team. Offense looks sluggish, and the defense is strong in one area and weak in another while also giving up too many big plays.

EDIT: Let's be real, Green Bay should be 2-1 right now. Season outlook isn't actually that grim.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:50:03 PM by claymaker »

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
Here's what I'd like to see. I'd like to see MM tell the team they're starting the game behind 21-0. LOL. No scripts, just desperation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:32:25 PM by packdaddy »

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
I guess what I'm getting at is the talk in the off season of us redoing the playbook, becoming less predictable! But what I am seeing is the same plays over and over again. What I would like to see wr's in motion more , scheming to get a wr open. Use the middle of the field more, it seems like when we do we have some success. We a gb that's hurting, try establishing the run a little more. We actually ran the ball decent today, be we seem to opt for these big hitting pass plays that take to long to develop. And of course line can't hold up to the pressure. Would just like to see some ingenuity , something different.         I know most people say it comes down to execution, but you hardly ever see our receivers running wide open. Opposing teams seems to know our plays and route trees better than we do.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:59 AM »

Not sure what you were expecting, but they are not going with the wishbone, wildcat or wing-t anytime soon. The people in the know have commented that the re-doing of the playbook was to get the vertical passing game back into the offense. Yet since Rodgers injury all I read on here is that they need to go to just a quick passing game. So which is it, vertical game or short quick passing game? How about a balance of both and that is what they are doing and that is what they should be doing. If the defense know the ball is going to come out quickly, it allows them to jump/sit on the short routes and makes a team one dimensional in the passing game. They need to and will keep taking their shots down the field, it is the only way to keep defenses honest.

As for WR's running wide open, how often a game is that supposed to happen? Remember a Allison TD catch yesterday? Or is that supposed to happen every play because they are the GB Packers?

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
Even the USA Today agrees, mt:

(From packerswire.usatoday.com)

"THE UGLY

Outdated offense: Not only did the Packers look sluggish on offense, but their play calling also looked outdated and totally uninspired. Instead of a rewritten offense that many of the Packers coaches had teased all offseason, things looked pretty similar to the last few years. Many offenses around the league are beginning to update and adapt to a more modern style of play, and for one reason or another, the Packers seem stuck. The team still seems to rely on long developing plays that hinge on receivers either getting free of isolation coverage or Rodgers making miracles happen, and it’s honestly baffling as to why the offense continues to run like this. Just two weeks ago, the Packers came out in the second half against Chicago with a high tempo offense filled with shorter route concepts that worked wonders and helped win them a game, and yet instead of trying to expand on that, Green Bay continues to operate their early offense as if they can just waste a couple of drives."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
Packers offense got 2 TD's yesterday, 1 versus Vikes, and took until 4th quarter to score a TD vs Bears. 

Offense is going to need to pick it up to win a lot. 

As has been true for many years, the championship aspirations kind of hinge on having:
a) a competitive, solid-average-but-not-great defense, coupled with
b) superb, top-of-the-league offense. 

Early on, the offense doesn't look that.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »

This year, if a couple of penalties aren't called and a couple of big plays go their way your perception would be a lot different.

Just as a point of reference: Look at the best QBs in the last 20 years. What do they all have in common? They ALL ran the same system for the entirety of their NFL careers.

I believe you're confusing scheme and philosophy. I am fairly critical of McCarthy's philosophy when it comes to how the offense is run. He wants to go for chunk plays and big plays rather than dinking and dunking it down the field. Too often it leads to them being down early and playing from behind. Even worse it really puts the offense in a hole on 3rd down, which has faced way too many 3rd and longs over the years.

Against the Redskins the offense just missed a ton of opportunities. The plays they called worked and they even ran the ball well. The defense was terrible in the first half and the offense couldn't get it together.

All in all, this is the start to a season we've come to expect from this team. Offense looks sluggish, and the defense is strong in one area and weak in another while also giving up too many big plays.

EDIT: Let's be real, Green Bay should be 2-1 right now. Season outlook isn't actually that grim.

I enjoy the optimism, but if you want to be real...the Packers are also very, very close to being 0-3. An epic melt down from Chicago (on par and very similar to the 2014 NFC Championship game) and a missed FG (make that 2 missed FG's) is the difference. Had the Bears made just one of more than a handful of critical plays from that 2nd half, Green Bay walks out of Lambeau with a loss. However, those "should have" records don't matter in a 16 game season, so at the end of the day, they're 1-1-1...not 2-1 or 0-3.

I'm not going to spend time being critical of player or coach, we've all seen it and have our own opinions. Reality is though, the Packers offense has not been among the league's best for 3+ years now. There is no reason to think that will change if you're running the same system and not investing in offensive weapons at the top of the draft.

Something slowed this offense down. Was it the loss of deep WR depth or the NFL defenses figuring out McCarthy's offense? I think it's a lot of both.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 05:12:49 PM »
I guess what I'm getting at is the talk in the off season of us redoing the playbook, becoming less predictable! But what I am seeing is the same plays over and over again. What I would like to see wr's in motion more , scheming to get a wr open. Use the middle of the field more, it seems like when we do we have some success. We a gb that's hurting, try establishing the run a little more. We actually ran the ball decent today, be we seem to opt for these big hitting pass plays that take to long to develop. And of course line can't hold up to the pressure. Would just like to see some ingenuity , something different.         I know most people say it comes down to execution, but you hardly ever see our receivers running wide open. Opposing teams seems to know our plays and route trees better than we do.

With all due respect they did much of what you're wanting to see. 3rd quarter TD pass to Cobb? That was schemed to get Cobb the ball in the endzone, and it worked. They did a similar scheme on the 4th and 2, but Cobb bobbled the ball. Defenses don't give up the middle of the field easily. So far that has been the area of focus for opposing defenses and production on the outside has been good as a result. Green Bay has used plenty of pre snap motion. I'm not sure what offense you're watching.

Everybody knows everybody's plays. Every defensive play or scheme has a weakness and it really does come down to execution.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

I enjoy the optimism, but if you want to be real...the Packers are also very, very close to being 0-3. An epic melt down from Chicago (on par and very similar to the 2014 NFC Championship game) and a missed FG (make that 2 missed FG's) is the difference. Had the Bears made just one of more than a handful of critical plays from that 2nd half, Green Bay walks out of Lambeau with a loss. However, those "should have" records don't matter in a 16 game season, so at the end of the day, they're 1-1-1...not 2-1 or 0-3.

I'm not going to spend time being critical of player or coach, we've all seen it and have our own opinions. Reality is though, the Packers offense has not been among the league's best for 3+ years now. There is no reason to think that will change if you're running the same system and not investing in offensive weapons at the top of the draft.

Something slowed this offense down. Was it the loss of deep WR depth or the NFL defenses figuring out McCarthy's offense? I think it's a lot of both.

Good post.  For me, McCarthy has 13 games to get this turned around.  After last years unprepared and doormat performances week after week,  its a direct reflection on McCarthy and his staff.   He's had an all time great QB for the past 8 years with Rodgers, a few years with Favre and 1 Super Bowl appearance with multiple early round exits.     Most of the time when a starter goes down this team folds like a box.  Rodgers, Jordy,  Kevin King,  the backup arent even close to being prepared to play.   Thats coaching.    For me, he's gotta make the playoffs or hit the road.  I like McCarthy, but his teams have become stale.  We'll see what happens.     

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into Rodgers comments, but I don't think he thinks much of this offense. He watch's other teams wideouts running wide open (bears, Vikings and rams ) and got a little jealous. Possibly a little frustration at himself for having a great game himself. Don't know for sure. Don't care what anybody says, but our offense is old and outdated.