December 18, 2018, 01:22:13 PM

Author Topic: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?  (Read 3519 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Team is in rough shape. Could be another top 15 if we dont do something different moving forward. I haven't gotten into scouting yet, but I know people here are very big into the draft. Who ya got in the mid and late round we should target?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »
Team is in rough shape. Could be another top 15 if we dont do something different moving forward. I haven't gotten into scouting yet, but I know people here are very big into the draft. Who ya got in the mid and late round we should target?

I understand the passion that comes from fan(atic)s in the moments after defeat, but to say the 'team is in rough shape' is an extreme overreaction. They are 3 games into the season at 1-1-1, hardly in 'rough shape'.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
It is ridiculously early to really think about particular players.  If Spriggs and/ or M Adams develops, OT and D line drop a few spots in priority.

you don't know how college players will develop.

And of course we don't know how NO and GB will end up the season

Futhermore they will have a lot of cap room assuming Clay and Cobb won't be back.
And they could have lots of cap room if the move on from Bulaga, Ha Ha, and Wilkerson.

That being said they getting an outside pass rusher has to be priority #1 . I would move on from Bulaga and replace him with a FA or top pick.  With Daniels and Clark both free agents in 2020 to say nothing about big question marks at the other D line spots now adding a big man upfront has to be high on the list as well. And safety needs upgrading either through free agency or the draft.

With all that in mind, here is a pre season watch list  one draftnik put together.https://theathletic.com/480248/2018/08/21/nfl-draft-board-early-look-2018-season-nick-bosa/

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »

I understand the passion that comes from fan(atic)s in the moments after defeat, but to say the 'team is in rough shape' is an extreme overreaction. They are 3 games into the season at 1-1-1, hardly in 'rough shape'.

They lost their right tackle, probably for awhile,  or he will try and play through a back injury, which should bode really well. They also lost Wilkerson, Perry is in concussion protocols,  Jones is still hurt, McCray is down, Brice seems to not be the answer, and the franchise is playing on one leg, and cant push the ball hard or long as was evidenced by some throws he tried to.make that fell short. I'd say it's not an overreaction, rather an acknowledgement that things are more than an uphill climb at this point.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:55:13 AM »

They lost their right tackle, probably for awhile,  or he will try and play through a back injury, which should bode really well. They also lost Wilkerson, Perry is in concussion protocols,  Jones is still hurt, McCray is down, Brice seems to not be the answer, and the franchise is playing on one leg, and cant push the ball hard or long as was evidenced by some throws he tried to.make that fell short. I'd say it's not an overreaction, rather an acknowledgement that things are more than an uphill climb at this point.

Just the normal ups and downs of a NFL season. Wilkerson is the first blow that that Packers suffered, but doesn't end their Super Bowl run. As of now the rest are just bumps and bruises along the road of the journey they are on. They are 1-1-1 and that is who they are at this moment with much more yet to be determined in the next 13 games.

Some fans like to consciously or subconsciously heighten the experience of the season journey with adding some panic hyperbole to the recipe. To each their own and the way they choose to enjoy the journey. I just choose not to ride the panic train.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »

I am inclined to side with Shinesman.  It's early  but this season isn't looking to good at the moment.  Aaron being hobbled with a suspect line is the most troublesome.  Had them at 11-5 don't think they will achieve that now.  Packers usually start slow and finish strong so we'll see how they play in December.  As of now not sure they will even make the playoffs.  A healthy Aaron OK we can cover a lot of warts.   Hobbled?   Think we struggle into the bye.  After that we'll see how they bounce back. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
While several sites have penciled guys in, in the first round or two, beyond that it is just guesswork. i'll give you an example. I liked Paxton Lynch QB, when i saw him starring in an improbable win over a team supposed to be much better (was it Missouri, perhaps). Before that game he was a late pick, 6th or 7th round. after that win he climbed right up the draft so that at one point he was a top five overall pick. He slipped from that high spot as people watched more tape of him, but he still went at pick 26 in round one.

That uncertainty holds true for many of the later prospects, they can move up and down a lot, like between 6th round to 2nd round, depending on what they do the rest of the college season. Many guys, particularly those that are not early picks often shine in their final year, even in the last half of their final year (see the draft where we took Clay Matthews, for example), so early guesses are usually wild ones. Finally, all the collected wisdom that comes from scouts talking to each other and to media guys, and draftniks........it's only when you get to say, early March, when what consensus there is on draft boards, approaches a final form.

Most of us have no chance of watching the hundreds and hundreds of hours of tape to grade players, even if we had the talent to do so. So, the reliance on what the media is saying and thinking has a big impact on most of us. Just look at how the positional ratings on Drafttek bounce up and down over time. It'll become clearer later, but for now determining the later part of the draft is the blind leading the unsighted....................

For the four day one and two picks of the 2019 draft, it would be nice to see an Edge rusher, a Safety and an OT, taken, which leaves one more pick for something else - another rusher perhaps, or a TE. I'd probably take a second O lineman later in the draft, and fill in wherever the talent is, to bolster depth. Another coverage type ILB would be nice (especially as Josh Jones hasn't worked out so far).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:11:33 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
While several sites have penciled guys in, in the first round or two, beyond that it is just guesswork. i'll give you an example. I liked Paxton Lynch QB, when i saw him starring in an improbable win over a team supposed to be much better (was it Missouri, perhaps). Before that game he was a late pick, 6th or 7th round. after that win he climbed right up the draft so that at one point he was a top five overall pick. He slipped from that high spot as people watched more tape of him, but he still went at pick 26 in round one.

That uncertainty holds true for many of the later prospects, they can move up and down a lot, like between 6th round to 2nd round, depending on what they do the rest of the college season. Many guys, particularly those that are not early picks often shine in their final year, even in the last half of their final year (see the draft where we took Clay Matthews, for example), so early guesses are usually wild ones. Finally, all the collected wisdom that comes from scouts talking to each other and to media guys, and draftniks........it's only when you get to say, early March, when what consensus there is on draft boards, approaches a final form.

Most of us have no chance of watching the hundreds and hundreds of hours of tape to grade players, even if we had the talent to do so. So, the reliance on what the media is saying and thinking has a big impact on most of us. Just look at how the positional ratings on Drafttek bounce up and down over time. It'll become clearer later, but for now determining the later part of the draft is the blind leading the unsighted....................

For the four day one and two picks of the 2019 draft, it would be nice to see an Edge rusher, a Safety and an OT, taken, which leaves one more pick for something else - another rusher perhaps, or a TE. I'd probably take a second O lineman later in the draft, and fill in wherever the talent is, to bolster depth. Another coverage type ILB would be nice (especially as Josh Jones hasn't worked out so far).

And yet, GM's, scouts, and personnel departments miss on players in every draft.
Some players get taken way-way higher than their performance in the pro's would seem to justify, and others get taken way lower and end up being studs. It's a subjective/imperfect world of evaluation when it comes to who should get picked and in what round..............and it's ESPECIALLY true this time of year.

Let's just say that when it comes to priorities in building the Packers roster, moving forward in 2019, it would be nice to see them go after EDGE/OLB, DL, OT, S as the top four priorties. And I don't care if it's via UFA or the Draft, just improve the talent/depth at those spots first and foremost.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
.........And yet, GM's, scouts, and personnel departments miss on players in every draft.
Some players get taken way-way higher than their performance in the pro's would seem to justify, and others get taken way lower and end up being studs. It's a subjective/imperfect world of evaluation when it comes to who should get picked and in what round..............and it's ESPECIALLY true this time of year.

Let's just say that when it comes to priorities in building the Packers roster, moving forward in 2019, it would be nice to see them go after EDGE/OLB, DL, OT, S as the top four priorties. And I don't care if it's via UFA or the Draft, just improve the talent/depth at those spots first and foremost.

You can see and measure the measurables. so you have a good idea of the height/weight speed/strength. What you cannot be certain of is how the player responds to a different way of playing when he hots the NFL. It is also very difficult to peek into a players head and know how he thinks, feels and processes what he sees.

Just a quick look at college football scores tells you there are many blowouts in games. Upper tier athletic players can feast on lesser competition, which also makes scouting tough. A guy may have had 10-12 sacks in a college season, but did almost all of them come against poor opposition ?  It isn't quite stabbing a pin randomly into a list of names, but even with all the work that scouts and GMs do, there is still lots of guesswork when making a pick.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
With the way New Orleans is playing, it looks more and more like we should have taken Edmund's with our original first rounder. Barring some trade by the deadline, this team should be scouting Edge Rushers, linebackers, and offensive lineman like their lives depend on it. Unfortunately, this years draft class is pretty void at marquee talent. I read the big talent pool is in DL and CB. If we go DL or CB high again, we are literally spinning tires at the position. Anyone have a good guess at where you think we look early?

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
Agree deep on the D-line I think you answered your own question.  We will go D-line most likely.  We have Clark and Daniels and not much else.  We do need help their have it as our #2 need with OLB #1.   If there is a big talent gap between the two have to go BPA.  Hate to reach but we'll probably have to with that 2nd first rounder and grab the best available pass rusher.  Hopefully Gute can also engineer a trade for a guy like Fowler or straight up sign a FA.  Thinking Raekwon Davis DT  Alabama.  Big monster would complement Clark and Daniels nicely.  Way early guess. Bosa and Ferrell will be long gone by the time we pick.  Maybe a guy like Josh Allen will fall to us.  If that is the case we'll take him.  Not likely either though.    Packers will likely be picking in the low to mid 20's looks like the Saints pick will be a late one unfortunately.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »
Agree deep on the D-line I think you answered your own question.  We will go D-line most likely.  We have Clark and Daniels and not much else.  We do need help their have it as our #2 need with OLB #1.   If there is a big talent gap between the two have to go BPA.  Hate to reach but we'll probably have to with that 2nd first rounder and grab the best available pass rusher.  Hopefully Gute can also engineer a trade for a guy like Fowler or straight up sign a FA.  Thinking Raekwon Davis DT  Alabama.  Big monster would complement Clark and Daniels nicely.  Way early guess. Bosa and Ferrell will be long gone by the time we pick.  Maybe a guy like Josh Allen will fall to us.  If that is the case we'll take him.  Not likely either though.    Packers will likely be picking in the low to mid 20's looks like the Saints pick will be a late one unfortunately.

Barring a miracle, we will be picking in the teens. We have to play the rams and Patriots still, two super bowl fans. The Vikings in Minnesota and the bears in chitcago, the Seahawks and the falcons.... I hope we win every game too, but common sense says we would be lucky to break even in those games based on this years performance so far. I have us picking between 12 and 17 the way it looks.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 12:14:30 AM »
More than one need, obviously (edge rush LB, OG, Safety, DT, TE, et al) but this draft is deep in first round edge rushers, so I’d be inclined to double down. With our pick, I’d take Mississippi State edge Montez Sweat. Then with the (presumably late) New Orleans pick, I’d take Josh Allen, or Florida’s Jachai Polite.

If you don’t like that strategy, then perhaps a TE with the N.O. pick. TE’s Kaden Smith (Stanford) or Noah Fant (Iowa) could fit the bill.

I also like Notre Dame DE Jerry Tilly, a true 3-4 DE with rush abilities.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »
Anyone have a good guess at where you think we look early?

Edge rusher. 5 or more could go first round.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Anyone have a good guess at where you think we look early?

Edge rusher. 5 or more could go first round.

I agree, however, we have all been making that assumption for 2-3 years now lol