November 15, 2018, 11:46:17 PM

Author Topic: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
Re: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »
Anyone have a good guess at where you think we look early?

Edge rusher. 5 or more could go first round.

I agree, however, we have all been making that assumption for 2-3 years now lol

Those were also drafts being run by Thompson minus the 2018 draft. There was an article on packersnews about how EVERYONE in the war room wanted Watt but Thompson decided to trade down. So that means Gut wanted Watt so he knows pass rusher is a need. Depending on how the draft falls I could see him drafting atleast two in the first four rounds or so. Matthews will be gone, Perry could be gone and the rest are just #4/#5 type guys.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
I wanted Watt to damn it.  Fell right into our laps.  In TT's defense CB was even a bigger problem than Edge at that time.  So he traded down and grabbed King and Bielgel.  Watched Biegel a lot and thought he would be decent.  Wrong.  So now it's King vs Watt.  King is a very good CB.  Watt is a very good rusher.  Right now I'd rather have Watt but that is only because we have corners now and need rushers. 

Gute may try to address Edge in FA so as to free up the draft to take BPA.  As you point out we really need at least 2 of them.  I am in favor of bringing back Matthews and moving him inside.  Money has to be right but he can be quite effective in that role.  I'm thinking DT and Edge in Round 1.  Lucky for us these positions are the strength of the draft.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
een looking through draft sites and, so far, I'm liking...........

With the first 1st round pick - Josh Allen/OLB Kentucky (Size/speed/production in the SEC carries street cred)

And, with the second 1st round pick - Christian Wilkins/NT-DT Clemson (He's a lot like Kenny Clark, and that's 2 conerstones to anchor your front 7)

2nd round? - Noah Fant/TE Iowa (pair him with a developing Robert Tonyan)

3rd round? - Kaleb McCrary/OT Washington (Possibly the best RT in college football.......good thing teams look first for LT's first)

4th round? - Jaylon Ferguson/OLB Louisiana Tech (14.5 sacks in 2016, but regressed in 2017. Having a bounce back year in 2018.)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
I think Matthew's needs a pay cut and should play inside with Martinez and Burks as a rotation. Need at least one FA edge rusher. We cant draft two in one year and expect they both turn out good and good fast. I am a fan of a suggestion to let William's move to free safety, put Josh Jones at strong. That leaves King, Jackson and Alexander as corners with maybe another draftee as a rotation guy. Let's draft some real OL and maybe a best defender available.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
They may try and address the DE/Pass rusher this season with the kid from Jacksonville- Dante Fowler.  Could get him for a 3rd rd'er or Montgomery and a 4th rd'er.  Change of scenery would help both!  Hell throw in Perry and Dix, too!!!

Agree with others draft talent this year is lean.  OL needs help, Safety is a priority, LB is a priority.

TT blew it on Watt, but he blew it last year and I mean really blew.  With 13 picks we could've moved up in front of the Bears and Draft Roqauin Smith.  Speed, tenacity and passion kills!  I'll also add, he could've moved up four years ago and drafted Ryan Shazier.  Pittsburgh drafted 2-3 picks in front of us! Blew that one too.  Can you imagine Shazier and Watt as LB's?  Oh the dream?   

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
There is a wr who is in his senior year at ND with some abilities similar to Adams and Sterling Sharpe.  He is 6'6" has about 8 td's this year already and is very consistent.  He is a nightmare matchup for cornerbacks and safeties.  I happened to know of this individual because he played high school football with my son and won the class 7A state champ title in Illinois back in 2014.  Great kid, hard worker and boy could you imagine adams, Allison and him on the same team?  I say that because Cobb will likely be gone.  His name is no surprise if your a Notre Dame fan, Myles Boykin.  If he comes out this year he will likely be a 3rd rd pick.  If ND plays well and he plays well, he may jump into a earlier rd.  Now he does have one year of eligibility left, so he may decide to go back.  By the way the kid playing QB over there reminds me alot of Joe Montana!

I know we have some young WR's, adding another talent and weapon for Rodgers would be icing on the cake.  I know we have had others issues at OL/ DL and LB to address.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 09:37:40 AM »
They may try and address the DE/Pass rusher this season with the kid from Jacksonville- Dante Fowler.  Could get him for a 3rd rd'er or Montgomery and a 4th rd'er.  Change of scenery would help both!  Hell throw in Perry and Dix, too!!!

Agree with others draft talent this year is lean.  OL needs help, Safety is a priority, LB is a priority.

TT blew it on Watt, but he blew it last year and I mean really blew.  With 13 picks we could've moved up in front of the Bears and Draft Roqauin Smith.  Speed, tenacity and passion kills!  I'll also add, he could've moved up four years ago and drafted Ryan Shazier.  Pittsburgh drafted 2-3 picks in front of us! Blew that one too.  Can you imagine Shazier and Watt as LB's?  Oh the dream?   

This last draft was Gute.  Alexander, Jackson, Burks, EQ, MVS, and Scott.  Also scored a late #1 for next year.  I'd take Alexander over Smith any day of the week.  This draft class is shaping up to be a real good one.  Moore, Madison, Donnerson , and Looney who knows what happens with these guys.  Get anything out of them icing on the cake.  It's early but this is shaping up to be one of the best Packer drafts in some time.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »

This last draft was Gute.  Alexander, Jackson, Burks, EQ, MVS, and Scott.  Also scored a late #1 for next year.  I'd take Alexander over Smith any day of the week.  This draft class is shaping up to be a real good one.  Moore, Madison, Donnerson , and Looney who knows what happens with these guys.  Get anything out of them icing on the cake.  It's early but this is shaping up to be one of the best Packer drafts in some time.

Alexander had a great game yesterday, but hasn't been a steady force. Smith is a steady force and will likely be an all pro. Also, didnt Madison no shown us?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
Yes Madison no showed us.  Not sure what his status is.  Second group of guys haven't shown us anything yet.  We might get a player or two out of them.  Smith has performed about like Alexander.  I'd still take Alexander over Smith.  He's only 7 games in and missed a few with a hammy.  Kid is a difference maker can see how much our pass defense improved with him in there.  All in all it's shaping up to be a stellar draft for the Packers.  Alexander will be an all pro.  His skills are elite.  Trading draft picks to move up to get Smith would have been prohibitively expensive and a bad move IMO.  Likely would have cost us a 2.  So you have Smith with no Alexander or Jackson and a continuing problem at CB.  Also no additional 1st rounder as well.  Just disagree with the premise.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:04:39 PM by scoremore »

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 07:45:01 AM »
At this point, I'd let Cobb and Matthews walk.

Still hoping Madison maybe returns next year? Granted, he'd be a year removed from playing but the hope was that he'd be our right guard, this is very well a position of need, the entire right side of the offensive line is.

Pretty clear to me we should be drafting defense with our two first round picks, I'd look to add two front 7 players, safety is also a big need though.

Should McCarthy leave, you'd hope the new coach brought in could right the ship on offense, we have the talent there, many of us tend to feel it is being misused or the play-calling needs an overhaul.