December 10, 2018, 05:57:33 PM

Author Topic: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?  (Read 3368 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
With the cap room and draft capital I would hope they double dip on edge, ILB and safety.  Based on Gutes first draft I would expect him to attempt to trade back and then back around to add more picks UNLESS there is a true playmaker with the first pick in the first.  The addition of multiple picks on 1 postion over the last few years has shown fruit(RB, WR, DB's).  Now do that on the ones mentioned above.  I believe that if they provide Pettine(if he sticks around) the talent we could see a defense in GB that we haven't seen in a while.

Too much emphasis on the defensive side of the ball here for me. With Jake Ryan 4th rounder (I assume he is back next year), Blake Martinez 4th, and Oren Burks 3rd, the Packers have spent plenty on upgrading ILB in recent years. You could argue that J.Jones (round 2) was meant to be a pursuit ILB as well (and he may yet return there). Therefore I see no reason whatsoever to double dip at ILB. I might take one mid to late 'value' guy there, but no more.

I'd like to see one good safety taken, ideally in tandem with a solid veteran pickup.

Double dipping at edge I understand, since they are struggling there, but Pettine's scheme is generating plenty of sacks this year without getting much from Perry and Matthews in sacks. Therefore you could argue that just one good pass rusher would be enough (as there are never enough early picks to go round).

Something more balanced might be DL, Edge, OT, S, TE, RB in the first four rounds, with OG as an alternative with one of the 4ths. The reason I picked DL with the first pick is not because the need there is the most pressing one. It is because that is where the great players are grouped this year - it is a once-in-a-generation group on the D line.

Currently the Packers have (I think) 10 picks (2x1sts.....2x4ths......2x6ths) and no comps. I wouldn't concentrate on trading down much for extra picks, instead I'd move both up and down, according to where I feel I need to be to get the guys I want. Sure you can trade down if the value is there (like in 2018, where the Packers traded down in round one, then back up to get the guy they always wanted).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:48:11 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
With the cap room and draft capital I would hope they double dip on edge, ILB and safety.  Based on Gutes first draft I would expect him to attempt to trade back and then back around to add more picks UNLESS there is a true playmaker with the first pick in the first.  The addition of multiple picks on 1 postion over the last few years has shown fruit(RB, WR, DB's).  Now do that on the ones mentioned above.  I believe that if they provide Pettine(if he sticks around) the talent we could see a defense in GB that we haven't seen in a while.

All that said lets win out and see where we end up.

GO PACK GO!
I feel like with how well the Bears defense is doing because of the Mack acquisition, I'd hope Gute has taken notice and places an emphasis on finding that game changing pass rusher. The Bears don't exactly have the greatest secondary, but they get after the QB, and the secondary has really benefited from opposing teams QBS making errant throws.

Our secondary is definitely one of the strengths of our defense, if you can find that premier pass rusher and add a potential talent in the first round, then you are maybe looking at a top 10 defense next year. Clowney and Ford are two options, unfortunately, I bet both get the franchise tag, however, that opens up the possibility of us maybe signing Mathieu or Collins, which would provide some help at safety.

Should be an interesting offseason, lot of money heading out the door in likely Cobb, and Matthews, then if you suddenly cut Bulaga, and Perry, that's more dollars to play with.

Got 3 years left to make something happen till Rodgers time is up, I feel like a coaching change can turn the offense around, and of course an addition to the offensive line. But I'm tired of watching rushing attacks gash us and while the defense has more sacks, I too often watch us struggle to get after the QB.

I'm definitely wanting us to take a pass rusher or two in the first round assuming we don't find one via free agency, or even an OL. We have the resources to trade up and get both.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »

All that said lets win out and see where we end up.

GO PACK GO!
I feel like with how well the Bears defense is doing because of the Mack acquisition, I'd hope Gute has taken notice and places an emphasis on finding that game changing pass rusher. The Bears don't exactly have the greatest secondary, but they get after the QB, and the secondary has really benefited from opposing teams QBS making errant throws.

Our secondary is definitely one of the strengths of our defense, if you can find that premier pass rusher and add a potential talent in the first round, then you are maybe looking at a top 10 defense next year. Clowney and Ford are two options, unfortunately, I bet both get the franchise tag, however, that opens up the possibility of us maybe signing Mathieu or Collins, which would provide some help at safety.

Should be an interesting offseason, lot of money heading out the door in likely Cobb, and Matthews, then if you suddenly cut Bulaga, and Perry, that's more dollars to play with.

Got 3 years left to make something happen till Rodgers time is up, I feel like a coaching change can turn the offense around, and of course an addition to the offensive line. But I'm tired of watching rushing attacks gash us and while the defense has more sacks, I too often watch us struggle to get after the QB.

I'm definitely wanting us to take a pass rusher or two in the first round assuming we don't find one via free agency, or even an OL. We have the resources to trade up and get both.

Pass on Clowney and Ford.........franchise tag or not they will want contract in to $80M-$100 range. I'd be more inclined to try and make a play for someone like Za'Darius Smith of the Ravens.

And I'd bet the NYG's franchise tag Collins as well. I like Mathieu a lot, but he will want around $12M-$14M. Is he worth that? I don't know, but regardless, it's a lot.

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
 Edge rusher for sure in the first. Bradley Roby, Earl Thomas and Kwon Alexander are my favorites in FA so far. Some of you posters predicting a couple early OL to plug in as day 1 starters may be on to something. May be a good draft for it and it would be nice to have a couple starters on rookie contracts for the cap space.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
Edge rusher for sure in the first. Bradley Roby, Earl Thomas and Kwon Alexander are my favorites in FA so far. Some of you posters predicting a couple early OL to plug in as day 1 starters may be on to something. May be a good draft for it and it would be nice to have a couple starters on rookie contracts for the cap space.
Not sure I want to spend money on an outspoken safety whose season ended due to a broken leg, for these reasons I'd pass on Earl Thomas. Roby would be a nice add, that unfortunately probably spells the end of King, whom has dealt with injuries and inconsistency. Unfamiliar with Alexander.

I'm really not sure whom from this list I pulled may have already been extended, or might get a franchise tag, but outside of Thomas, and Dix, any of these players would be an upgrade over our current options. Boston is one player whenever I've seen  Arizona play this season is all over the field. Ward is a versatile player as well, but I believe just recently got hurt, I'm slightly partial to him as well as I'm a NIU grad.

1. Earl Thomas, SEA
2. Landon Collins, NYG (Likely franchise tagged)
3. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, GB
4. LaMarcus Joyner, LAR
5. Adrian Amos, CHI
6. Tyrann Mathieu, HOU
7. Marcus Gilchrist, OAK
8. Jimmie Ward, SF
9. Kareem Jackson, HOU
10. Tre Boston, ARI

Nevertheless, there certainly is an option in this list.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »
Team is in rough shape. Could be another top 15 if we dont do something different moving forward. I haven't gotten into scouting yet, but I know people here are very big into the draft. Who ya got in the mid and late round we should target?

Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?

We have more than one first round pick?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
Team is in rough shape. Could be another top 15 if we dont do something different moving forward. I haven't gotten into scouting yet, but I know people here are very big into the draft. Who ya got in the mid and late round we should target?

Draft order. Draft is looking high so far. Who ya got with our 1sts?

We have more than one first round pick?

Yes. We have ours, and the saints.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
OK Thanks.

Looks like will have 1 pick fairly early and 1 late!

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
Every year I say I won't even look at draft options until the season is over- every year I fail to meet that goal.  Some time I will get a life.

You can't predict who they will take in the draft until you know what they will do in free agency. Gutes will have plenty of flexibility in this regard.  I would like to get a starting caliber safety in free agency in part because the secondary is so young as it is.  Would also look to get starting right guard because you can get good bang for your bucks with an interior lineman.

I would go with a DLineman with the first pick because it is the strength of the draft and because Daniels, Clark and Lowery are all UFA's at the end of next year.  Wilkins from Clemson would be a good choice with a reasonable chance of being there with the first pick. He's a tad small but is athletic enough to have played safety in the spring game. He can add some interior pass rush next year and then take Daniels place.

An edge rusher like Sweat would look good with the Saint's pick.

I like a tight end like Smith from Stanford with the 2nd round pick.  Kendricks and Lewis are both FA's this year. Graham is hitting the wall big time and is unlikely to be back unless he takes a pay cut.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:14 PM »
OK Thanks.

Looks like will have 1 pick fairly early and 1 late!

thumbsup)
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »
I wouldnt count on that early pick just yet.  I think we are at #11 right now, but with our not so tough schedule coming up I think we'll win a few of those games.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
I wouldnt count on that early pick just yet.  I think we are at #11 right now, but with our not so tough schedule coming up I think we'll win a few of those games.

ESPN has the Packers projected to pick #17 according to their FPI (Football Power Index). They looked at where teams currently stand and then factored in their remaining games to come up with the projected rankings. (kinda like throwing darts at a dart board, blinfolded..........and after 15 beers)  ::)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25117609/2019-nfl-draft-order-projected-first-round-picks-1-32-date-tracker-results

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
Right now I'm thinking we have pick 10 and pick 31. our final record 6 9 1. We could perhaps trade both firsts to get as high as pick 4.

I'm assuming we lose at chi and one more of jets, falcon, lions.

I'm assuming kc wins the sb. Nfc is rams at saints, which saints win.  There's a small chance Pittsburg or pats can win at kc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:46:49 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
If Aaron perks up under philbin, we could be looking at picks  13 and 31. That would mean we could trade up to pick 7.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
Time to Draft a QB to replace Rodgers.