October 16, 2018, 01:05:06 AM

Author Topic: Matthews roughing Smith?  (Read 600 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Matthews roughing Smith?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
Think the Matthews plays have been somewhat flukey.  How often do you get straight-on sacks like that, with a full running-start and a head-on hit at the QB?  Not that common.  Seems like most a guy is coming from behind, or side on, or the QB is pulling away or something.  The Packers may not get another sack-opportunity like those all season. 

I'm not so sure this wasn't an appropriate call, given the rule.  He had a clear, straight-away shot, and he targeted his shoulder and full body-weight to drive and pin Smith.  His shoulder with all his body weight was right up around the neck area.  Wouldn't have needed much adjustment to be a clear neck-smasher, or collarbone, or ribs, or head-for-concussion.  The rule is trying to avoid that, and I'm not sure it's wrong to do so. 

But, it puts the defender when he's got a clear straight-on shot like that in a difficult position.  League basically wants you to adjust a bit, off to the side, and basically to do something of an arm tackle with weight offset.  Matthews had two open clear steps to make a little bit of an adjustment, and aim his shoulder and weight off a little bit; he didn't.  But, we know QB's are VERY elusive.  If you offset your aim and your weight for the right side, might not the QB elude to the left, and vice versa?  Aiming straight down the middle is the least likely to get eluded.  But if you do target straight down the middle and then the QB doesn't shift either direction, it's the straight-on drive that Matthews have.  Which is really scary.

And this is exactly what Miami's William Harris was trying to do, which then caused him to blow out his ACL in the process.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag

Miami Dolphins defensive end William Hayes tore the ACL in his right knee on Sunday in an unusual way.

It happened while Hayes completed a huge third-down sack on Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, coach Adam Gase said.

"He was trying to not put body weight on the quarterback," Gase said. "His foot got caught in the ground."

According to a new NFL point of emphasis, a defender "is responsible for avoiding landing on the quarterback when taking him to the ground." Violating the rule results in a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty.

When asked whether he believes the rule change led to Hayes' torn ACL, Gase said, "I'm just telling you what happened. ... I'm just telling you what he did."

IMO, the current "application" of the rule by the men-in-stripes is going to cause more defensive players to become injured, rather than QB's, because they will be making "unnatural" movements to attempt to stay in compliance with how the league is having the referee's make judgements on how the tackle looked.

Good Gawd! Since when is the NFL about "optics"?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »
IMO, the current "application" of the rule by the men-in-stripes is going to cause more defensive players to become injured, rather than QB's, because they will be making "unnatural" movements to attempt to stay in compliance with how the league is having the referee's make judgements on how the tackle looked.

Fewer QB's injured; more QB's flopping; more QB's jumping at the last second so they look like they're being lifted and thrown down; and more players like Daniels stopping before hitting the QB (Cousins, in this case), rather than risk a flag/fine for roughing. Indeed, it is time to bring back "in the grasp" to offset the roughing flags.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:43 PM »

Fewer QB's injured; more QB's flopping; more QB's jumping at the last second so they look like they're being lifted and thrown down; and more players like Daniels stopping before hitting the QB (Cousins, in this case), rather than risk a flag/fine for roughing. Indeed, it is time to bring back "in the grasp" to offset the roughing flags.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
Could this be what we've been waiting for? Troy Vincent says the refs will be retold when a roughing the passer foul should be called. And they should be instituting these new directives for this week's games. Personally, they can call it a rule tweak, a reassessment, a re-education. Shoot, they can call it Christmas in July for all I care, as long as this problem is fixed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/competition-committee-conference-call-specifically-called-to-discuss-roughing/

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 05:58:00 AM »
Well they claim they made no changes, yesterday there was a unbelievable drop in roughing the passer calls. Thank God, they were pushing this way too far and ruining the game IMHO.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Well they claim they made no changes, yesterday there was a unbelievable drop in roughing the passer calls. Thank God, they were pushing this way too far and ruining the game IMHO.

The NFL will never admit they effectively rescinded the rule emphasis, but they did. That was obvious from the amount of sacks that had the defender landing on the QB. And when Matthews got a sack and there was no flag? That was the first time in four games and four sacks that didn't happen. The Bears call was legit- the other two were nonsense. Now, as usual, after overreacting, the NFL is retracting. Whatever, I'll take this rule tweak and be thankful for the early Christmas present.