December 10, 2018, 05:57:41 PM

Author Topic: Fixing one position per year  (Read 1283 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Fixing one position per year
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »
I see Bulaga back next year, but have serious doubts about any of the rest. Pride will keep CM3, Cobb, and HHCD from accepting less than any of them think they are worth...............and they all think they are worth a lot.

Safety is where I think Gute will make a play this off-season, rather than OLB. Then he could draft another one in the 5th-7th rounds. Players like Zedrick Woods/Ole Miss or Chase Hansen/Utah.

Bulaga gets paid a lot of money to play 50-60% of a season. He also gets beat like a ragdoll against good rushers. I'll pass. Speaking of tackles, anyone know what happened to that kid they drafted who just never showed up? Cole Madison or something like that.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »
He will probably go after both a S and OLB.  As far as pride I think you are right with regard to Ha Ha.  Of the 3 he is the most likely to be all about the money.  In order to bring him back we'll have to beat out all other offers.  Get the impression he doesn't like GB and wants out.  Cobb and Matthews if we are competitive think both would rather return to GB.  Should be pretty interesting to see what happens.  Will Gute even attempt to bring these guys back?  Dunno. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
You know?  I'm a fan of Jaire Alexander and have no problem with him being the Packers pick this last draft. He has the potential to be a very-very good player for a long time for the Packers, and at a position that needed a solid infusion of talent.

But looking at how many issues GB still has in the middle of the field at ILB, I kinda still wish that Gute had picked the guy I was hoping for in the 1st round, Leighton Vander Esch, who Dallas picked with the next pick right after Alexander.

This stud is putting together a barn burner of a season for Dallas, and long time starter Mike Lee is finding it hard to get back on the field where LVE is ruling the middle of it.

His stat line, so far, for the season is........103 tackles, 2 INTs, 7 PD

And he's getting better and better with each passing week.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
He will probably go after both a S and OLB.  As far as pride I think you are right with regard to Ha Ha.  Of the 3 he is the most likely to be all about the money.  In order to bring him back we'll have to beat out all other offers.  Get the impression he doesn't like GB and wants out.  Cobb and Matthews if we are competitive think both would rather return to GB.  Should be pretty interesting to see what happens.  Will Gute even attempt to bring these guys back?  Dunno.

I'm wondering at the moment if CB is high on the draft list (I can hear the groans). This is my thinking. Josh Jackson might well be better playing free safety where he can watch and anticipate the QB. That means someone needs to take over the CB position. It's not impossible a CB like Greedy Williams (LSU), Kris Boyd (Texas), Trayvon Mullen (Clemson), Amani Oruwariye (Penn St.), is added. I don't know if these guys are athletic enough to become Packers - elite athleticism is a major drafting metric for the Packers the last several years - but at least they are all listed as 6'0" or taller.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
Bulaga gets paid a lot of money to play 50-60% of a season. He also gets beat like a ragdoll against good rushers. I'll pass. Speaking of tackles, anyone know what happened to that kid they drafted who just never showed up? Cole Madison or something like that.

Madison was a fifth round draft choice of the Packers. He signed his contract but never reported to camp. He plans on playing sometime in the future, but has some kind of personal issue(s). The latest I could find on him was from back in August, so here it is:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/packers-cole-madison-plans-to-play-at-some-point/

If nothing else, if he could take over at right guard, that would be an acceptable outcome to this mystery.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:21:05 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »

I'm wondering at the moment if CB is high on the draft list (I can hear the groans). This is my thinking. Josh Jackson might well be better playing free safety where he can watch and anticipate the QB. That means someone needs to take over the CB position. It's not impossible a CB like Greedy Williams (LSU), Kris Boyd (Texas), Trayvon Mullen (Clemson), Amani Oruwariye (Penn St.), is added. I don't know if these guys are athletic enough to become Packers - elite athleticism is a major drafting metric for the Packers the last several years - but at least they are all listed as 6'0" or taller.

They could keep Breeland or go after what I think is the best player in free agency in Roby. Good point on Jackson, Brown could probably be a good SS with how physical he plays.

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
You know?  I'm a fan of Jaire Alexander and have no problem with him being the Packers pick this last draft. He has the potential to be a very-very good player for a long time for the Packers, and at a position that needed a solid infusion of talent.

But looking at how many issues GB still has in the middle of the field at ILB, I kinda still wish that Gute had picked the guy I was hoping for in the 1st round, Leighton Vander Esch, who Dallas picked with the next pick right after Alexander.

This stud is putting together a barn burner of a season for Dallas, and long time starter Mike Lee is finding it hard to get back on the field where LVE is ruling the middle of it.

His stat line, so far, for the season is........103 tackles, 2 INTs, 7 PD

And he's getting better and better with each passing week.

LVE is a beast.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:52:53 AM by LMG »

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Always intriguing how perceived "needs" change over the course of a down season.

First time reading this thread and I didn't see the old date at first. Started disagreeing on some of the positional rankings of needs, but then realized it was an early season thread. Lots of disappointing play this year from individuals who didn't live up to expectations or failed to fill a role.