October 16, 2018, 12:27:43 AM

Author Topic: Game Ball Bill vs. Packers  (Read 696 times)

Online MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
Game Ball Bill vs. Packers
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »
Game Ball is designed to say something positive whether there is a win or a loss. 

Defense looked good especially the pass rush ... also, Aaron Jones looked great.

My game ball goes to Kyler Fackrell who had 4 tackles and 3 sacks.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:33:44 PM by MrJuly4th »

Online mtsportsfan

• All Pro
Re: Game Ball Bill vs. Packers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
Have to give it up to Jones on offence and Fackrell on defense. Both made impact plays. Special shout out to Bell, didn't hear his name one time today.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »
Have to give it up to Jones on offence and Fackrell on defense. Both made impact plays. Special shout out to Bell, didn't hear his name one time today.

It is spelled OFFENSE...no C driving me nuts over here.  Fackrell really had himself a nice game.  Good to see him break out a little bit.  Championship Defense hopefully the guys are adjusting to the new scheme and we'll see more of that type of performance.  Allen was exposed today.  Kid is raw and will need time to develop.  Watched Aaron's presser he was pissed.  Glad he was because that type of performance isn't going to get it done. 

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 05:51:53 AM »
Despite the announcer saying it was Matthews, it was Frackrell who was tackled on that huge holding call on his jailbreak towards the quarterback. Kyle truly had a break out party yesterday
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »
OffenSe:

I'm gonna give a game ball to David Bakhtiari (Did I spell that right scoremore?)

He does his job so well that he often gets overlooked, so he gets it this week since not a lot of players shined. That time where he pushed the running back to a first down stood out, but his overall play is just so good week-to-week.

DeffenSe:

The rookie cornerbacks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:31:22 AM by packdaddy »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
Definitely defense. It looks like the guys are starting to "get" Pettine's schemes. And starting to react more and think less. Though this was "only the Bills", they took apart a very good Minny defense a short time ago. Though, any given week... The offense still hasn't gotten in sync, but when it does, this will be a very, very formidable team. So, game ball? Defense. And hopefully, next week it'll be the entire team.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
The rookie corners really look like the real deal. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
Not to be a downer, but I wonder how great the defense actually played.  Allen was awful.  His throws were terrible, and he missed some guys who were sometimes open.  I also kind of assume that there were other guys that got somewhat open that we didn't see, because it was on TV; but that Allen also didn't see.  That guy has a rocket of an arm, but the accuracy was terrible.  Not sure how much yesterday's success will carry over next week against Stafford. 

Still, I think those rookie corners are just both legit NFL guys who can cover, and have some of the "it" factor. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
Not sure how much yesterday's success will carry over next week against Stafford. 

This indeed will be an interesting test for the new defense. Last year, Stafford looked like a combination of Unitas and Marino against the Packers. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the Lions familiarity with the Capers defensive schemes. Also, how much did pressure have with Allen being inaccurate or not seeing open receivers? Because if you're running for your life, you can sometimes miss things that seem obvious while watching from home.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
Offense - Aaron Jones. Guy keeps playing third fiddle even though he was clearly the best RB on the squad since his first preseason game as a rookie. Draft stock keeps him back on the roster, but he keeps averaging over 5 yards a carry and makes a lot out of nothing many times. He is talented and is a really gifted ball carrier.

Defense - people keep saying Fackrell, but as I pointed out to my wife, another sports writer pointed out today. Fackrell was doing his normal "get stonewalled by the tackles and spin and dance" routine. But Allen kept flushing out and right into his chasing lane. So I give my game ball on defense to Jaire Alexander. First career INT (officially, since he did ice the Minny game had the NFL not screwed the pooch). It also kept the Bill's from a FG attempt and helped run the shut out. He also seemed to have good coverage for most of the game. Runner up was Nick Perry, with some good pressures and a solid day against the run.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
Offense - Aaron Jones. Guy keeps playing third fiddle even though he was clearly the best RB on the squad since his first preseason game as a rookie. Draft stock keeps him back on the roster...

3rd fiddle??? Aaron Jones got the most snaps of the 3 RB's
Jones 29
Williams 28
Montgomery  20

In what world can you call that Third fiddle.?

You can downplay Fackrell's contributions if you want but it doesn't fit with his production, especially in relation to playing time - OLB snap counts:

Matthews 37 snaps -- 0.5 sacks / 3 solo tackles / 0 pass defl. / 1 QB hit
Perry 33 snaps --  0.5 sacks / 1 solo tackles / 0 pass defl. / 1 QB hit
Fackrell 26 -- 3 sacks / 4 solo tackles / 1 pass deflection / 3 QB hits
Gilbert 25 --  1 sacks / 3 solo tackles / 0 pass defl. / 2 QB hit
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:53:21 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
Offense - Aaron Jones. Guy keeps playing third fiddle even though he was clearly the best RB on the squad since his first preseason game as a rookie. Draft stock keeps him back on the roster...

Jones 29
Williams 28
Montgomery  20

You can downplay Fackrell's contributions if you want but it doesn't fit with his production, especially in relation to playing time - OLB snap counts:

It's probably a little early to make this claim, but I'd like to think that Pettine has identified what Fackrell does well and is going to use him in situations that help him succeed. Pettine is known for that, so let's watch and hope. It would be a good thing.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »

Jones 29
Williams 28
Montgomery  20

When did Jones come in the game? He wasnt starting. It went Williams, Monty, Jones. Ones Jones does what he does, they have no choice but to keep playing him. He should be getting 60% of the snaps. The fact that Williams only trailed him by one snap is a travesty. Williams is a JAG.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 05:15:33 AM »
Shine, no offense but, there are no Jags in the NFL. Further, it's easy to ignore that Williams is a far superior pass protector, and it's playing with a one-legged Rodgers. It's also easy to forget that Jones got his ass suspended for the first two games of the year. With his history of injury, it is wise to work him back in.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
Defense - people keep saying Fackrell, but as I pointed out to my wife, another sports writer pointed out today. Fackrell was doing his normal "get stonewalled by the tackles and spin and dance" routine. But Allen kept flushing out and right into his chasing lane.

Yeah- no... That would be complete BS from a "sports writer" looking for hits by by chumming the water for bottom feeders who love to hate Fackrell.

Here are the facts. Fackrell had five excellent defensive plays in the game and one of them was kinda as you described, the other four were excellent football plays.

Fackrell had three sacks. One sack came when he stunted inside, got caught up in a mass of men and spun back to the outside. As he spun out he was knocked down at the feet of Allen, Allen fell down and Fackrell got a gift sack... On another sack, he was  battling the OT when he was flushed to his side. He disengaged the OT and made the sack- good footbal play and a very common type sack... On the other sack Fackrell pushed the OT inside and rushed hard to the outside. He closed the edge as he angled and grabbed Allen for the sack- great sack he completely generated himself.

Besides the sacks, he made two other excellent plays. In coverage, he blanked a RB on a long wheel route which forced either an incomplete pass or another sack, I don't remember which- regardless, excellent play by Frackrell... On another pass rush, he was battling the OT as Allen started running up field. Fackrell disengaged the OT and chased Allen down for a tackle at the LOS- excellent play.

There ya go... Hate Fackrell all you like, that's your thing, but if you have to make stuff up to hate about, then you have some messed up issues.