December 13, 2018, 09:24:43 AM

Author Topic: Game Ball Bill vs. Packers  (Read 904 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: Game Ball Bill vs. Packers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
Shine, no offense but, there are no Jags in the NFL. Further, it's easy to ignore that Williams is a far superior pass protector, and it's playing with a one-legged Rodgers. ....

I think it's probably fair to say that Williams is the poorest ball-carrier of the three Packers, and is below-average as a ball-carrier relative to running backs around the league. 

And likewise that he's the best blocker of the three Packers, and is well above-average as a blocker relative to running backs around the league. 

As with any of us, you kinda take the good with the bad with any player. 

Three totally amateur personal thoughts:
1.  No Rodgers and no passing game, no offense.  So I can see the logic of going with a blocker-first guy there a lot of the time.

2.  Again, totally unsophisticated and superficial and amateur, but IMO Ty has done quite well blocking thus far.  Not sure, maybe he just hasn't been exposed yet, or maybe I'm way off.  But I thought he was kinda crummy as a blocker when he converted two years ago, and didn't improve that much last year.  But maybe toughing it out and trying to block with broken ribs and a badly sprained ankle wasn't real conducive.  Thus far it's seemed to me that he's bene strong, willing, and surprisingly strong and acceptable. 

3.  Personally, I think the Packer offense has really struggled to score TD's and to make first downs, and that it's limited for playmakers.  So yeah, part of me would really love to have the luxury of using a RB as something of a playmaker, both running and receiving, if possible.  So I'm kinda hoping that Ty and Jones will show enough as blockers to take on somewhat more of Williams snaps.  You take the good with the bad with any guy; with Jones and Ty, I'm hoping that the good will be pretty good, the running and pass-catching; and that the bad won't actually be bad at all, or at least not very, the pass blocking. 

I've loved a couple of the pretty good gainers that Ty and Jones have had in the pass game and screen game.  To my recall, I don't recall them being at fault for sacks? 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
https://imgur.com/mKZ6WQL

On other board, one of the posters argues that this sack is an example of Jones blowing it, that he picked up the free outside rusher instead of the free left-side rusher.  LeRoy Butler apparently thought it wasn't Jones's mistake.  Other posters on the other board thought maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, and that you'd need to know what the assigned responsibilities were. 

Just thought I'd add this to the thread, since to my shallow analysis I've been thinking that maybe Ty and maybe Jones too have been doing OK in the blocking game? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
https://imgur.com/mKZ6WQL

On other board, one of the posters argues that this sack is an example of Jones blowing it, that he picked up the free outside rusher instead of the free left-side rusher.  LeRoy Butler apparently thought it wasn't Jones's mistake.  Other posters on the other board thought maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, and that you'd need to know what the assigned responsibilities were. 

Just thought I'd add this to the thread, since to my shallow analysis I've been thinking that maybe Ty and maybe Jones too have been doing OK in the blocking game?

None of us will know with 100% certainty unless the coaching staff decides to publicly say something craig. But if how that is typically blocked up by the Packers means anything, Jones should of picked up 49 and not 58.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
What would be interesting to know about that clip craig is if the hand signal that Rodgers gives pre-snap was a protection signal meant for Jones.