October 16, 2018, 01:37:39 AM

Author Topic: Rodgers doesn't like McCarthy  (Read 1353 times)

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
Rodgers doesn't like McCarthy
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
Over the years, its been fairly clear that Rodgers and McCarthy don't consistently see eye to eye about the offense. Today, Rodgers used his post game press conference to express thinly veiled contempt for McCarthy's game plan and playcalling vs. BUF. He openly lamented the lack of opportunities for Adams and Graham. He suggested that calling their numbers more often was basically a no-brainer, given how the defense was playing, and that the lack of potency on offense was a direct result of not doing so.

It also appears that Rodgers feels like his input is generally undervalued. Last week, after Aaron Jones' performance vs. WAS, Rodgers all but called for him to become primary RB. Jones is the most talented RB of the roster and it's not even close. Anyone can see that. There's no reason whatsoever for Jones to be splitting carries with a JAG like Williams. It unnecessarily limits the offense. So what happened this week? McCarthy again split the carries. Jones was a stud, Williams was mediocre. Then today in his press conference, Rodgers expressed resentment of his lack of involvement in the development of game plans. He's not a happy camper.

McCarthy has rightfully taken heat in recent seasons for stubbornness. The RB situation appears to be the latest example. After getting publicly roasted by Rodgers today, McCarthy is a good bet to take their pissing match to another level. It's not going to be a pleasant week at 1265.

Today, Rodgers looked and sounded like a guy stuck in a bad relationship with no way out. Unfortunately for Packer fans, he is.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Rodgers doesn't like McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
After getting publicly roasted by Rodgers today, McCarthy is a good bet to take their pissing match to another level. It's not going to be a pleasant week at 1265.

No chance that McCarthy will escalate this. Especially not publicly. He has his limitations as a head coach, but losing his QB would mean losing his team. Your assessment of his emotional maturity is 'way off.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »
Mike McCarthy deserved criticism for a poorly called first half in da bears game. He called a game to protect his Quarterback yesterday - good enough to result in a 22 point victory.

Aaron and Mike are on the same page regarding tempo, the breakdowns have primarily been in execution and injuries. There certainly are times that MM deserves criticism for his play-calling, I'm not sure it's now, while calling them with a one-legged quarterback and receivers that are coming up with the too many drops.

The Packers rushed for 141 yards yesterday, Ty Montgomery added 56 receiving and Jones added 17. Williams did an amazing job pass blocking, and Jones got injured trying to do the same. Your critique here seems misdirected.

BTW I agree 100% with Mark's response.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:27:44 AM »
First off concerning Rodgers and what he said. I wonder if the media isn't making more of this than it really is, Aaron was disappointed with his and the offenses play and was venting a little. End of story. Strong willed people are going to clash in the workplace at times, but Aaron needs to just do his job and carry out the gameplan whether it is the gameplan he would design or not. He doesn't need to respect the people who put together the gameplan, but he does need to respect their positions. Aaron needs to just do his job.

Secondly concerning Jones and his usage or peoples view of lack of usage. As I bounce around the web this morning there seems to be many voicing the opinion that Jones was not used enough, but this is an uninformed opinion. IMO

Several bloggers echo the same thing, basically that Jones needs to get the ball 25+ times a game and Williams and Montgomery need to be on the bench. But these are the opinions of people who have no idea of the abuse that a RB takes on every play. Jones is not a 225-230 bruiser who can handle that kind of work load, he is listed at 205-208 depending on different websites. Also remember that he missed time twice last year with injuries and he only had 4 games with 10+ carries his rookie season. The Packers were not playing the Super Bowl yesterday and the game was well in hand most of the day. That is a time to spread the abuse out. Jones is an important part of the offense, but he will be needed all year and not just for 25 carries for the next week or two. The need him fresh and on the roster, not on the IR at the end of the year. Coaching staff gets it, bloggers and most fans again lost in the high weeds.   

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:28:47 AM by RT »

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:53 AM »
Michael Jordan didn't win championships until he (probably) got his coach fired.

Magic Johnson didn't win multiple championships until he (actually) got his coach fired.

We have, what, 6 good years left of Aaron Rodgers? Maybe now is the time for a coaching change.

I'm not being evil. I'm just making a suggestion. So please don't bash me or say that I'm "not a true fan."

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Really thought things would change with the addition of Philbin.  Don't get it.  Rodgers, MM, and Philbin all need to get on the same page.  The performance yesterday isn't going to get it done.  Rodgers knows it.  Hopefully they can have a pow wow this week and get it straightened out.  Injuries to Cobb and Allison aren't helping matters.  It's time to get the young rooks involved.  Yes they will make mistakes but it's time.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »
We've seen what this team turns into without Rodgers. McCarthy's been riding Rodgers's and Favre's coattails his entire career.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »
Michael Jordan didn't win championships until he (probably) got his coach fired.

Magic Johnson didn't win multiple championships until he (actually) got his coach fired.

We have, what, 6 good years left of Aaron Rodgers? Maybe now is the time for a coaching change.

I'm not being evil. I'm just making a suggestion. So please don't bash me or say that I'm "not a true fan."

No need to bash you and you're clearly a fan however, you seem to have forgotten that Aaron Rodgers did win a championship without getting his coach fired. You also seem to miss the point that football is much more of a team game.

Professional basketball coaches have very little to do with outcomes. In the NBA great players, and chemistry are What Make Champions.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »

Personally, I wish we'd drafted Mahomes somehow. I'd let Rodgers play out his contract then switch.

But that's just me. I understand that's heresy.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
Everyone has to admit that the offense is clearly not clicking right now.  Too many breakdowns on the OL - dropped passes - penalties - and really the overall lack of production early in games and for long segments of games. Aaron Jones is not a 20 - 25 carry a game guy, but it would be nice to see him get 15 to 18 and just go with him and keep some consistency.  I don't mind getting Williams some carries, but this idea of rotating to try to equal out carries and see who has the "hot" hand just seems to bring a lack of cohesion.  Jones is the better ball carrier and offers the explosion the others don't. 

And really, other than Adams, and with Cobb out, AR showed the lack of trust with pretty much every other WR.  Mercedes Lewis is another tackle in an eligible number apparently is not a second option at TE.  And Kendricks is the nominated lead blocker and appears to be falling out of reliability as a pass catcher. 

It seems like MM doesn't know what he wants the offense to be.  No rhythm, sometimes up tempo, other times methodical - won't commit and stay with the run - and too many quick possessions.  It is almost like MM wants to be this spread it around and get everyone some touches like the Rams and Chiefs and Rodgers wants to be lets get it to Adams and Graham and Jones and ride them. 

It just doesn't appear like there is the connection with the coach and QB like some of the other top levels teams.  We aren't on the inside, so maybe that isn't true, but it sure looks like it watching them interact on gamedays. 

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »
Rhythm and tempo are dictated by execution. Pretty difficult to achieve with penalties -- 9 holds for 88 yards (not counting erased yards and points taken off the board), 5 false starts, 3 delay of games...; key drops by Adams, Cobb, Kendrick, Graham..., fumbles (Kiser, Rodgers, Cobb...), injuries...

Blame the coach, it's your right as a fan. The fix is in the players looking in the mirror and then stepping up and doing their jobs collectively and individually.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »
I agree that the fix is in the Players. AR needs more practice as the primary target of that thought.
Interesting to me how his every word is parsed to the point that he was dissing MM. That’s the way some of you saw it and it was amplified in the national press. Look, he knew he didn’t play well and he’s compelled to stand at the podium and try to say something smart. Mountain out of a molehill is right!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »
Personally, I wish we'd drafted Mahomes somehow. I'd let Rodgers play out his contract then switch.

But that's just me. I understand that's heresy.

Mahones has had an incredible start, no doubt. Does that mean he'll have long lasting success? Not really. His first year, Jared Goff looked like a bust. Now, he's leading a team that is undefeated. Zak Prescott looked great his first year. Not so much since then. Putting the franchise in the hands of a second year player after he's played three games? Perhaps that's jumping the gun.

There was an article by someone recently saying that instead of paying big bucks to a franchise QB, you just draft a really good QB, thein in four years, as his rookie contract is about over, trading the former draft choice that turned into an excellent QB to a QB needy team for high draft picks, so you could draft his replacement. Repeat every three to four years. How hard would that be?

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
Rhythm and tempo are dictated by execution. Pretty difficult to achieve with penalties -- 9 holds for 88 yards (not counting erased yards and points taken off the board), 5 false starts, 3 delay of games...; key drops by Adams, Cobb, Kendrick, Graham..., fumbles (Kiser, Rodgers, Cobb...), injuries...

Blame the coach, it's your right as a fan. The fix is in the players looking in the mirror and then stepping up and doing their jobs collectively and individually.

Agree, they've just been making so many, many mistakes.  Rhythm comes when you start stacking first downs, and they have struggled to do that. 

A drop, a penalty, a missed block, a lousy pass by Rodgers, Linsley stepping on Rodgers foot, Rodgers somehow not noticing a safety blitz from 20 yards away, they've just been making way too many mistakes to sequence many first downs. 

Rodgers very much included, he's made a lot of them. 

And I don't really think they have a lot of firepower to overcome the mistakes.  Hard enough for them to get a first down on 3 plays; when a penalty happens or somebody muffs a play, it's hard for them to overcome it. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
Rodgers has made multiple hints at frustration with MM and his ineptitude at playcalling. Why do people thinks that when games are on the line we do so well? It's because everything is in the hands of the field general. That's Rodgers for those who have never played football. It's not coincidence that when the offense goes into 2 or 4 minute mode, with Rodgers calling the shots, the offense makes amazing comebacks. Deny it all you want to, McCarthy is less than average at calling plays. Look at his record in San Fran as OC.

I called it in the week 1 thread. Only way the packers win is of Rodgers somehow jogs out the tunnel at the half, slaps the play card out of McCarthys hand, and calls the game himself. That's essentially what happened.

Why is Graham not a focus on offense? Why is Kendricks still the guys getting in on pass plays while dropping most of his wide open opportunities? Why is Jones not getting at least the majority of the carry's? Why did we not play the short game the first 3 weeks when we had a QB who we needed to keep protected? All questions that need answered. But they clearly point to a lack of coach planning.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."