November 12, 2019, 04:33:45 PM

Author Topic: Revis available  (Read 17282 times)

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
Re: Revis available
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »
Did you read the article?  It contradicts what you said, and was written by the guy who negotiated the contracts. 

I'll quote the article...  "I told Brett to trust what we had at the position; that Greg Jennings would be a star in a couple years. He said he didn’t have a couple of years. Brett offered to give up some of his salary for the following season – although that was his last season with the Packers (see below) -- to bring in Randy. I told that was much appreciated but we would never take his money away from him to sign another player."---Andrew Brandt

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
Soooooooo listening to ESPN radio this morning it sounds like unless some team loses their mind that there is no way Revis will get the amount of money he will want in a new contract.

And no way Jets get first picks either. It's sounding more like a 2nd and 4th round picks or some type of a deal with a player(s) and/or pick(s).

Maybe Thompson pulls off some of that magic again?  ::)

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »

Let me ask this, seems like Revis is in the catbird seat with that contract.  If he wants more money, he voids the deal and his employer is on the hook for $9 million, right?  What happnes if he signs a new deal via free agency?  Does the $9 million go away?  If it doesn't, there is no way he doesn't void the deal and he'd be foolish to sign any extension.  Follow?

YES Revis has all of the leverage.  If he voids and signs in FA the dead money stays on the books.  So the Jets have 2 options, trade him or extend him, if he voids they are screwed

Its really simple...you have to be 150% sure you can extend Revis when dealing for him
Are we really sure about the contract being voidable?  Florio is reporting that the three years , $9 million kicks in only if he holds out.  He didn't make is sound like the Revis can simply opt out of the contract after this season and become a free agent.

Rather it sounded like if he doesn't hold out, the contract voids itself and the 3 years, $9 million goes away.

Thoughts?  I just want to make sure I understand his contract correctly.

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
Are we really sure about the contract being voidable?  Florio is reporting that the three years , $9 million kicks in only if he holds out.  He didn't make is sound like the Revis can simply opt out of the contract after this season and become a free agent.

Rather it sounded like if he doesn't hold out, the contract voids itself and the 3 years, $9 million goes away.

Thoughts?  I just want to make sure I understand his contract correctly.

That was my understanding of the contract as well, I also didn't think any signing bonus money was prorated over those years so there wouldn't be a cap hit when it voids. It was just the Jets way of assuring that he wouldn't hold out. He still bitched about his contract and threatened to hold out anyway.

With regard to the Favre offer. He didn't know at the time that he made the offer that that would be his final year in GB. The belief at the time was that what he was offering was to move money around, at least that was what was said on the radio by the hosts. It also is what really made the most sense since he had done it several times before.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2013, 06:32:01 AM »
Back to the point of the thread of Revis.

What he does to make the team, Defense, better.  I think his addition doesn't do all that much from where we are to where he puts us.

I agree with B......Byrd does more in defensive team improvement than Revis.

No lost draft picks

Probably longer carreer in GB

Improves a position group than needs more help than the CB group who is young and ascending

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:16 AM »
Considering the relatively low cost to tag safeties and the fact that several have been franchised over the past few seasons (Branch, Goldson, Griffin, etc.) I'd be very surprised if both of the top two safeties (Byrd and Moore) aren't tagged. And as much as the player impresses me, the fact that Revision has been a turd about his contract since his rookie season makes me want to stay as far away from him as possible. Investing in a pass rusher like Paul Kruger would be a much better move with the current state if the secondary.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
So you are advocating that TT spend more money on an OLB than he spends on Clay Matthews?
I only see Kruger coming over if TT somehow extends CMIII first.  You don't pay another young guy before you pay your own guy.  IMO.

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
Kruger is going to be expensive. He is also similar to what Perry might be, bigger OLB, strong, stiff in coverage, can play the run and power rush.

Offline Waynorth

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »
Revis would make any defense better. Marshall and Johnson basically neutralized without a safety over the top on every play. Dom could really get creative with that in his back pocket.

Tramon did very well this year in coverage in those games last season, but his lack of enthusiasm for tackling is becoming a problem. If you let a player get away with playing soft like that it can get contagious. Maybe his shoulder was still a problem, I give him the benefit of the doubt and Joe Whitt is going to be demanding more from him in that area this season.

With that said I doubt whether any team will be able to keep Revis' contract demands in check. With TTs well known caution with FAs contracts I just can't see him a Packer. I would trade any of our CBs except Hayward if that were to be a part of the deal the Jets wanted in return.
"Knowledge does not enter your brain through an open mouth."